OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 11:31:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Love your neighbor as yourself" article  (Read 1096 times) Average Rating: 0
Bizzlebin
Theologian
High Elder

Faith: Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: OCA

MonkBot, Go Forth!

« on: March 17, 2006, 12:23:47 AM »

There was a very amazing article, about an Orthodox priest(?) who had a talk with a rabbi on the verse "Love your neighbor as yourself." The rabbi went to talk about how this verse it often butchered and taken to mean "Love your neighbor as you love yourself." He went on to speak in more detail about that.

Now, I cannot find this article after much searching! Does anyone recall this article, and/or have a link to it?

Fashions and opinions among men may change, but the Orthodox tradition remains ever the same, no matter how few may follow it.

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 03:34:37 PM »

There was a very amazing article, about an Orthodox priest(?) who had a talk with a rabbi on the verse "Love your neighbor as yourself." The rabbi went to talk about how this verse it often butchered and taken to mean "Love your neighbor as you love yourself." He went on to speak in more detail about that.

Now, I cannot find this article after much searching! Does anyone recall this article, and/or have a link to it?

I'm pretty sure my pastor just quoted this article in his Forgiveness Sunday homily.  He gave credit to Fr. Thomas Hopko (OCA) as being the priest in this interview.  My priest also seemed to believe that the interview was conducted back in the mid 1980's.  I'm sorry I can't give you any more information than that.
Bizzlebin
Theologian
High Elder

Faith: Orthodoxy

MonkBot, Go Forth!

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 02:35:43 AM »

I'm pretty sure my pastor just quoted this article in his Forgiveness Sunday homily.  He gave credit to Fr. Thomas Hopko (OCA) as being the priest in this interview.  My priest also seemed to believe that the interview was conducted back in the mid 1980's.  I'm sorry I can't give you any more information than that.

Thanks SOO much! That was the name I needed to narrow down my search and find the article!!

Here is the link to the actual article: http://www.starwire.com/CC/article/0,,PTID88558%7CCHID214340%7CCIID176272,00.html

This, however, is the full text of the interview: http://www.orthodoxnews.netfirms.com/24/Forgiveness%20-%20Breaking%20the%20Chain%20of%20Evil.htm

I won't lose it this time  Wink

Fashions and opinions among men may change, but the Orthodox tradition remains ever the same, no matter how few may follow it.

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 03:11:39 AM »

Here is the link to the actual article: http://www.starwire.com/CC/article/0,,PTID88558%7CCHID214340%7CCIID176272,00.html

This, however, is the full text of the interview: http://www.orthodoxnews.netfirms.com/24/Forgiveness%20-%20Breaking%20the%20Chain%20of%20Evil.htm

I won't lose it this time  Wink

Glad I could help you.  Thank you, as well, for making these links accessible to this forum.  I've been wondering what article my pastor quoted in his recent homily.  Now I can read it for myself. Smiley
DavidH
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 08:31:30 PM »

THAT was an incredibly insightful commentary on the Second Greatest Commandment. Thank you for posting it!
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 10:07:24 PM »

That was indeed amazing.  An article all should read.

Thank you.

God bless.

Mina

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: