OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 02, 2014, 12:43:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Giving Up Anything Else for Lent?  (Read 2623 times) Average Rating: 0
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« on: March 21, 2003, 06:17:51 PM »

In addition to animal products, alcohol, olive oil, and sexual relations, does anyone else give up other things to concentrate more fully on the fasting season?

I don't usually watch televsion, perhaps an hour or two a week when I'm at a friend's house, so it really isn't something I would give up - I don't watch it enough that it would make a difference.

On the other hand I am a film buff, so not seeing movies in the theatre or renting dvds does make quite a difference!

The other major thing I'm giving up for Lent this year is pipesmoking.  I have smoked a pipe since I was seventeen, and enjoy it very much, but it seemed like something that might get in the way of my lenten discipline.  I plan on buying a nice pipe (probably this one) and a couple of new tins of tobacco from europe with which to celebrate Pascha.  

Are any of you giving up something beyond the norm?

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2003, 06:21:02 PM »

We give up TV and electronic forms of entertainment (i.e. video games) in order to make more time for prayer and spiritual reading in my household.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2003, 11:02:19 PM »

Wow!

Honestly, I am having a hard enough time with the standard stuff.

Lord have mercy on me!

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2003, 04:00:07 AM »

We gave up television for Lent last year and it has not been turned on since. I can't get over what a blessing it has been. We used to also watch at least a couple of videos a week and have found that it is something we no longer desire. There may be some really good movies out there that are worth watching, but I lose nothing by not seeing them. We do go to the cinema occasionally though (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was awesome).

John.
demetrios

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2003, 01:36:30 PM »

I try to fast from many iniquities. to avoid sloth I sometimes give up my bed and sleep on the floor. I have heard of self flagelation and ice baths from others as well. but practical and easy things to give up can be found right under your nose. tv as many of you have said to help you concentrate more on religious devotions is a good one and there are many others too. I would love to hear other members chime in as well on this!
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2003, 02:34:24 PM »

Honestly, I am having a hard enough time with the standard stuff.

Lord have mercy on me!

Same here. If I could though, I would give my singleness. Tongue

Life is just one disappointment after another.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2003, 02:49:05 PM »

Good.  Because sometimes a woman is more penance than you bargained for.  Tongue

(Just kidding, ladies, I know I can be a thorn in the side of mine...)

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2003, 06:45:15 PM »

Good.  Because sometimes a woman is more penance than you bargained for.  Tongue

Well good. God knows I need some penance.

Life is just one disappointment after another.
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2003, 05:03:29 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Our pastor, Father Aidan preached a great sermon for Lent that was greatly empowering for everyone in the parish from small children to the oldest member of the parish.  I wish I had the full text to share with you,but his gist was the power to say NO.  In lent as we practice the discipline of Fasting we are also practicing the art of saying No.  By saying No to certain foods, sexual activity, and other non-spiritual areas of our lives, we recieve practice and strength needed to say No to sin to say Yes to Righteous decisions and actions.  I had always felt this way but it was the first time a priest said it in those simplest of terms that all could understand.

My grandchildren age 4 to seven, took the message to heart.  The eldest when visiting his non-Orthodox grandmother is able to continue his observance of the fast without input from parents or his Orthdox Grandparents.  The four year old, yesterday went over to the TV and turned it off noting that she did not need to watch it  and picked up a children's book on St Herman and brought it to me to read to her.  Perhaps it really is true we must become like children and yes even have things explained in simple and direct terms to have the message of the gospel reach out hearts fully.

your brother in Christ,
Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2003, 04:59:37 PM »

I just moved (bought a condo) and thus am being forced to be w/o cable and internet (well, at home that is) for several days.  It's gonna be tough. Grin
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2003, 08:31:21 PM »

Elisha -

I haven't forgot about you, buddy. I should have that russkaya info for you shortly.  Wink

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2003, 08:41:34 PM »

Elisha -

I haven't forgot about you, buddy. I should have that russkaya info for you shortly.  Wink

Much obliged - and I'll probably be signing off for the weekend (going home).
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2003, 08:56:44 PM »

10-4

Have a good one!

(And I will keep on posting, insulting comparisons to actuaries notwithstanding!)  Grin

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Tags: fasting Great Lent Abstinence asceticism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: