OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 04:55:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestions!!  (Read 5306 times) Average Rating: 0
aurelia
High Elder

« on: March 13, 2006, 03:55:16 PM »

I've been thinking that since this is the family forum, maybe we should have a couple of stickies with things like links to resources (camp season is coming up!) and at home activities for families,  books and videos for the kiddies, children's prayers, coloring pages, whatever. ÂÂ

Suggestions? comments? what would you like to see?

Aurelia
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 03:56:54 PM by aurelia » Logged
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 04:01:43 PM »

I have no suggestions but think this is an AMAZING idea.  As a fairly new daddy, I'm open to any ideas.

Maybe we can also have posters offer "regional" ideas of "what to do" and "where to go" for families on the weekends or during vacation time?

I know, my wife and I often wonder what we can do with our 8 month old son that he might enjoy.

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 04:31:13 PM »

Let me know if you decide to go ahead with the camp stickie or something like that... I work in the GOA Metropolis of PGH youth office, and I will let you know when the summer camp applications are online.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 09:11:28 AM »

Actually that wuld be great!  I only know about ours because my kids went last year (and have been asking all year to go back).  I would think links to the various Metropolis websites would be online at the Archdiocese website, I'll check into that today.  

I like the what to do with the kids idea too.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 10:43:36 AM »

Videos:

VeggieTales!  They teach good lessons, but are fun and not pedantic.  There are plenty of little jokes and references that the grownups can catch while the children can enjoy them too, so one can stand hearing them over and over and over more times without maybe going straight up the wall.  Wink

The first one our oldest latched onto was "The Toy that Saved Christmas" about a toy named "Buzz Saw Louie" (with a working saw built into his right arm) who realizes that there's more to Christmas then greed, so he escapes from the factory to find out what.  The Silly song is about Larry waiting for Santa while he is visited by a bank robber, a "savage Norseman" and a rep from the IRS.

Others include:  "Where's God when I'm Scared?" about fear  "Minnesota Cuke" about bullying "God Wants me to Forgive them?" - forgiveness  "Madame Blueberry" - envy of others and wanting more more more "Larry Boy and the Rumor Weed" and "Larry Boy and the Fib from Outer Space" Larry the Cucumber as a superhero battling rumors and lies.  "Lord of the Beans" - using ones gifts wisely "King George and the Ducky" - retelling the story of David and Bathsheba for children about coveting others things.  "Duke and the Pie War" - From the book of Ruth on helping others and not giving into to prejudice.  "Rack, Shack and Benny" the three young men in the fiery furnace as taken to Mr. Nebby K. Nezzer's chocolate bunny factory.  "Lyle the Kindly Viking" sharing  and many more.

Many of the videos have "Silly Songs with Larry" that are very funny.  "The Dance of the Cucumber" sung in Spanish by Larry in "authentic  Argentinian Garb" is a favourite,  "Pizza Angel" is a take on 50's rock.  They have a good music crew with a fine sense of parody and humour.

Also from "Big Idea" is "3-2-1 Penguins" that teaches good lessons from the Bible in the context of a small space ship crewed by 4 penguins (is it real or the children's imaginations)?  There are 6 that we have including "The Carnival of Complaining" "Trouble on Planet Wait-your-turn" and "Runaway Pride at Light Station Kilowatt"

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 02:02:50 PM »

heheh, we just bought the new one..Sheerluck Holmes and the Golden Ruler.  they already have it memorized!
Tags: videos books 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: