OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 11:05:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fasting Recipes  (Read 28124 times) Average Rating: 0
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2008, 11:37:46 AM »

One of the Ukrainian families at our parish makes a wonderful cabbage and mixed vegetable soup.  Does anyone know what it might be called and a recipe for it?  It tastes like the broth is tomato-based.  Whatever it is, it's delicious! 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2008, 12:31:54 PM »

^ ...the tomato based Ukrainian soup is called "Borscht".

Every cook has their own secret recipe.  It is often made with a "meat" base, such as boiling spare ribs, or chicken....and using the stock, as well as the meat.

HOWEVER, borscht is often made strictly vegetarian.

Certain cooks prefer to add potatoes and no parsnips, others add beans, etc.  Each to their own taste.

Here is a basic Vegetarian Ukrainian Borscht recipe:

1 ounce (30 g) dried porcini mushrooms (optional, but tasty)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil  (on days were oil is permitted, otherwise, you can just quickly cook up the vegetables, without the oil)
1/2 pound (225 g) white mushrooms, trimmed, wiped clean, and sliced 1/4 inch (.5 cm) thick
1 large onion, cut into 3/4 inch (.5-cm) dice
10 small or 7 to 8 medium beets (about 1-1/2 pounds; 675 g), with greens, peeled, quartered, and cut across into 1/4 inch (.5-cm) slices 
   [smaller ones are tastier...and if you use the "greens" definitly, choose young beets]
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut across into 1/4 inch (.5-cm) rounds
1 medium parsnip, peeled and cut across into 1/4 inch (.5-cm) rounds [optional]
1 very small or 1/2 large celery root (about 3/4 pound; 360 g), peeled and cut into 1/2 inch (1-cm) cubes [you can use celery stalk and not necessarily the root]
1-1/2 pounds (675 g) potatoes, peeled    and cut into 1/2 inch (1-cm) cubes
1/2 small white cabbage (about 3/4 pound; 360 g), cored and shredded
3 large cloves garlic, smashed, peeled, and very finely chopped
3 tablespoons tomato paste  [you can always add more at the end - per your tasting preferences]
1 medium bunch dill, fronds only, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup (50 g) sugar
1/2 cup (125 ml) cider vinegar
2 tablespoons kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Soak the dried mushrooms in 1 cup (250 ml) hot water for 15 minutes. Drain, reserving the liquid, and squeeze out the excess liquid. Strain all the soaking liquid through a fine-mesh sieve. Reserve the liquid (there should be 1 cup; 250 ml) and the mushrooms separately.

In a tall narrow stockpot, heat the oil over medium heat. Stir in the fresh mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes. Stir in the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes.

Add the beets, carrots, parsnip, celery root, 8 cups (2 L) water, and the mushroom soaking liquid. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the potatoes, cabbage, garlic, and, if using, the beet greens. Dissolve the tomato paste in 1/2 cup (125 ml) of the liquid and stir it back into the soup. Return to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the reconstituted dried mushrooms and simmer for 5 minutes, or until all the vegetables are tender.

Remove from the heat. Stir in the dill, sugar, vinegar (not too much), salt, and pepper.

If not fasting, a dollop of sour cream adds a little umph! 

Enjoy!

Smachnoho!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2008, 12:48:57 PM »

Thanks!  I didn't think it was borscht as I didn't recognize beets in the mix, but I've been known to be wrong.  This recipe sounds really good!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2008, 01:17:40 PM »

..you can make it without the beets.
Some people don't put in mushrooms, some add various beans. It's all up to the individual cook and their preferences.

If I cook borscht with beets, I end up just moving them off to the side of my plate, as I'm not big beet-eater.   
You can buy "pickled" beets in a glass jar.  I often throw them in, including the juice, and then fish them out before serving.
It gives it a nice earthy flavor.

Wink

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2008, 01:57:12 PM »

That makes sense.  I always think I like beets until I start eating them.  Wink 

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2009, 08:35:02 AM »

The World's Easiest, One Bowl, No Knead Sourdough Bread (Easy as 1,2,3)

This is incredible! I've just tried the recipe, and it seems to be absolutely fool-proof!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POnxAoHl1qc

I really encourage you all to make your own Leaven (Sourdough Starter). Once you make it, it will live indefinitely if you bake with it every week or two. My aunty has a Leaven which has been used by my family to make Prosforo for 4 generations! It really isn't hard- remember, people who thought the world was flat made bread this way for millenia!
How to make your own Leaven (Sourdough Starter)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cusjbAtGzvg

« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 08:36:02 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2009, 09:17:02 AM »

Vegetarian Stir Fry

2 cups of Etamame, shelled

Two large onions (finely diced)

Two large Carrots (cut into small rounds)

Three celery stalks  (cut into small pieces

1 cup brocolli (cut bite size)

2 cups of cabbage (shreaded)

3 cloves Garlic

1 zuchini (cut into thin rounds)

1 yellow squash (ditto)

Salt/ Pepper

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1 table spoon sesame oil

1/4 cup peanut oil/ Canola oil

1/2 tsp Ginger

In a large pan or pot, heat oil and combine onions, garlic, celery and carrots,  Cook until slightly softened.  Then add the squash and etamame, and the spices.  Taste to make sure that all is to taste, then after the sqash is translucent, add cabbage.  Cook fro fice more minutes, and then serve immediately with rice, noodles, or all by itself.

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2009, 01:55:16 AM »

Someone who tried this eech recipe told me it was good.  She said, though, that three lemons is too much, only use two.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1750,149186-240204,00.html

monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2009, 09:19:42 AM »

Every cook has their own secret recipe.  It is often made with a "meat" base, such as boiling spare ribs, or chicken....and using the stock, as well as the meat.

I love borscht in all its variations.  One parishioner has an old cookbook that has over 50 different recipes for borscht.  Personally, I love anything that has cabbage in it.  That's due to the fact my great grandmother was a folk doctor in the old country and she made sure we always had cabbage at least once a week.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2009, 10:31:07 AM »

Yum!
Just thinking of borscht makes me hungry!
 Cheesy

—St. Isaac of Syria
rwprof
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA now, Antiochian originally

« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2009, 11:08:47 AM »

Thank you for so many wonderful sounding recipes. I have three here: http://centralpennsylvaniaorthodox.wordpress.com/2009/03/12/fast-suggestions/

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!
Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2009, 06:31:20 PM »

Oatmeal/Quinoa/Banana/Blueberry cereal

Quick, warm and yummy for breakfast.

1 cup of water
1/2 cup of Oatmeal
1/2 cup of cooked Quinoa
1 very ripe banana (pureed)
hand full of fresh blueberries (dried blueberries are good too)
optional 1/2 t. orange flower water (for a middle-eastern scent!)

Microwave the oatmeal and water for 2 to 2 and half minutes. Add the pureed banana, cooked quinoa, berries, and orange flower water. You may need to warm the porridge up again in the microwave after adding the cold but cooked quinoa.

This recipe is the same recipe I posted a few years ago with the removal of wheat germ and the addition of quinoa. Quinoa is a seed originally found in South America that is a complete protein. It is highly nutritious and has a very nice flavor. It is also very inexpensive and can now be purchased at most grocery stores. It is extremely easy to cook (cooks up like rice). Be sure to rinse and drain the quinoa seeds before cooking to remove any bitter residue then add it to boiling water and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. It follows the same ratio as rice to water (2 to 1). You can make it for dinner and use it like rice or pasta then save the extra for the breakfast cereal recipe.
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2009, 11:52:14 PM »

Thai Peanut Noodles

Peanut Sauce - Serves 4 +
1 Can Coconut Milk
2 heaping tbs. Peanut Butter (I prefer JIF)
2 tbs sugar
1 knob fresh Ginger - minced
2 cloves Garlic - minced
Soy Sauce - to taste
Sriracha Chili Sauce - to taste or substitute with Sambal Olek

Bring all ingredients to a simmer and stir often.

Scallions - chopped - garnish
Bell Pepper - Chopped - fried
Zuchinni or Grean Beans - Chopped and fried

1 Packet Somen Noodles - follow directions for cooking and place in your bowl!

I serve this in restaurants with Poached Halibut and its always a good selling dish!

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2009, 12:05:12 AM »

Thai Peanut Noodles

1 Can Coconut Milk
2 tbs sugar
2 cloves Garlic - minced
Soy Sauce - to taste

I serve this in restaurants with Poached Halibut and its always a good selling dish!

I just ate and now I'm hungry again!  And I love me some Sambal Olek (actually any kind of sambal!).

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2009, 12:07:27 AM »

Thai Peanut Noodles

1 Can Coconut Milk
2 tbs sugar
2 cloves Garlic - minced
Soy Sauce - to taste

I love an halibut.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2009, 03:19:35 AM »

This is a simple soup my husband makes on fish days. Smiley

Ukha (Russian Fish Soup)
4 cups water
2 potatoes, cubed
1 onion, chopped
1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped (we use only 1/3 of a bunch)
4 ounces cod fillets, cubed (we use whatever we have on hand)
1 lemon, juiced
salt and pepper to taste

Put water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the potatoes, onion and parsley. Heat for 10 to 15 minutes and add the fish. Heat for 10 more minutes, then squeeze in lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Bulgarian Diocese

St. Marina of Antioch

« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2009, 11:23:51 AM »

Oh my gosh!  Thank you all for all the great recipes.  I'm new to the Orthodox fasting rules, and was wondering what to do.  I'm pretty creative in the kitchen, but lately, I haven't wanted to think about ways to convert recipes to vegetarian/vegan dishes.  Again, thank you!  Grin

“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

"God became man so that man might become a god." ~St. Athanasius the Great

Poster formerly known as EVOO.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2010, 01:10:47 AM »

TOPIG (Armenian Lenten Chick Pea Kofta)

CASING
·  2 cups chick peas
·  6 cups cold water
·  2 small potatoes, boiled in jackets
·  1 1/2 tsp salt
·  1/2 tsp freshly ground white pepper

FILLING
·  3 large onions; halved & sliced
·  2 tbs water
·  1/4 tsp allspice
·  1/2 tsp cumin
·  1/3 cup pine nuts
·  1/3 cup currants
·  3/4 cup tahini
·  freshly ground black pepper

TO BOIL TOPIGS
You will need 4 pieces of unbleached calico or similar cloth about 50cm (20inches) square

TO SERVE:
·  cinnamon
·  paprika
·  lemon wedges
·  parsley sprigs

1.   Soak chick peas in the cold water for 24 hours, in a cool place if weather is warm.
2.   Remove the skins by taking a handful at a time and rubbing with the palms of both hands so that the chick peas actually rub against one another. Drop back into bowl and take up another lot. Skim off the floating skins as they accumulate. (you can just leave the skins on, if this sounds like too much trouble!) Drain well.
3.   Pass the skinned chick peas through food grinder twice, using fine screen. Alternatively, place in food processor container in 2 lots and process to a paste.
4.   Peel skin from boiled potatoes and mash finely with a fork. Combine with ground chick peas, add salt and a good grinding of white pepper. Blend thoroughly and keep aside.
5.   Put sliced onions in a pan with the water, cover and steam over medium heat for 10 minutes, then remove cover and leave until moisture evaporates.
6.   Turn into a bowl and cool.
7.   Add allspice, cumin, pine nuts, and currants to the onion. Blend well, then mix in tahini, and salt and pepper to taste.
8.   Take 4 pieces of unbleached calico or similar cloth, each about 50 cm (20 inches) square and scald in boiling water.
9.   Cool a little, then wring out well. Open out a square of cloth on work surface and put a quarter of the chick pea paste in the centre.
10.   Spread evenly with a spatula to a 20 cm (8 inch) square and place a quarter of the filling in the centre, spreading it a little. Bring each corner of the paste over the filling by lifting up corners of cloth. Paste should enclose filling in envelope fashion.
11.   Smooth joins to seal well. Make a single tie with each pair of diagonally opposite corners of cloth, then tie a second time. Complete another 3 topigs in the same way.
12.   Half fill a large pot with water, bring to the boil and add about 1 tablespoon salt. When briskly boiling, lower prepared topigs into pot and return to the boil.
13.   Cover and boil steadily for 12-15 minutes or until topigs float and feel firm to the touch. Lift out immediately and place on a tray, draining off water in tray.
14.   Untie and invert topigs onto platter. Leave until cool.
15.   When ready to serve, dust lightly with cinnamon or paprika. Garnish platter with lemon wedges and parsley. To serve, cut each topig in half, then slice in thick pieces. lemon juice is added to individual taste. On days when oil is permitted, pour a little olive oil on them with the lemon juice.

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2010, 01:18:53 AM »

^Wow, George, that looks delicious!

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2010, 05:07:44 AM »

I've copied this recipe here because I don't want to lose it.

Stevia Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

1 cup flour (I use spelt or a mix of 3/4 spelt 1/4 amaranth)
    2 cups regular oats
    1  teaspoon stevia
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 cup hot water
    1/2 cup safflower oil
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    Unsweetened carob chips

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325, spray a cookie sheet.  Mix flour, stevia and cinnamon in small bowl.  Mix oats and baking soda in large bowl.  Pour hot water over the oat mixture and mix.  Add oil and vanilla to oat mixture, mix well.  Add flour mixture to oat mixture, mix well.  Add chocolate chips.  Place on cookie sheet, they do not flatten so push them down if you want them to be flat or leave as is.  Cook 13-15 minutes.

The texture of these cookies changes after a few days (they become soft, you might like this but I prefer them fresh out of the oven). I recommend cooking them in small batches.  I don't add all of the chocolate chips at once. I use as much cookie dough as I want and add chips to those and cook them. Refrigerate the dough and add chips as you make each batch. I find that refrigerating the chocolate chips in the dough and then baking them alters the taste.  It takes no time at all to have fresh baked cookies!

I found this recipe online and just made them last night for the first time. They are DELICIOUS (especially considering they contain no sugar and no eggs)! I used soy flour for the flour and substituted carob chips for chocolate chips and decided next time I will make them using only 1 tsp of stevia (the recipe called for 1 1/2 tsp stevia, and they were a bit too sweet).

This is also an excellent recipe for diabetics. Highly recommend!

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2010, 04:35:01 AM »

Fasting Phanouropita (For those Lenten vows to St. Phanourios).

1. 1 cup sugar
   2. 1 cup oil
   3. 2 cups orange juice
   4. 3/4 cup raisins
   5. 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
   6. 1 tsp. baking soda
   7. 4 cups flour
   8. 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
   9. 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

Mix oil and sugar, and beat until it's a creamy yellow. This may take a long time.

Put the baking soda IN the orange juice, and stir until dissolved. [NB: this can be spectacularly dramatic if you use a two cup measuring cup with two cups of o.j. in it. (Please don't ask how I found out.) It might be easier to hold a two cup measuring cup OVER the bowl full of oil and sugar and pour in *one* cup of o.j., mix in 1/2 tsp. baking soda, watch the fireworks, pour it into the bowl, and again mix *one* cup of o.j. with 1/2 tsp. baking soda, stir and pour again. If you don't dissolve the baking soda completely, you get lumps of it in the cake. So, stir well.]

Add the flour, cinnamon and cloves then the raisins and nuts.

Pour the batter into an ungreased 9"x13" pan and bake at 180 degrees C (350 degrees F). for 45 minutes (or until a clean toothpick dipped in the cake emerges clean.)

« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 04:36:45 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

Phoenix73
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2011, 07:08:26 AM »

Hi I made  a Phanouropita today, LONG overdue,

Been scouring the net and forums for ages to find a recipe I like. I know tradition dictates that 7 or 9 ingredients are to be used. I ended up overanalysing and improvising  Huh, because I liked the idea of brandy and Agiasmo. So I basically omitted the walnuts and baking powder to the above recipe.

My question to any one who may know is why do all the recipes available on the net seem to use plain flour with baking soda, is there a reason  (tradition maybe) why self-raising flour can't be used? that's what I used and the cake looks ok.

Just Curious.

genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2011, 01:49:33 PM »

My question to any one who may know is why do all the recipes available on the net seem to use plain flour with baking soda, is there a reason  (tradition maybe) why self-raising flour can't be used? that's what I used and the cake looks ok.
Just Curious.
I think you mean flour with baking powder. Self-rising flour is nothing more than regular flour that has baking powder and salt added to it already. Probably OK if you bake a lot of quickbreads and biscuits, but it would be a waste of shelf space for me.

Baking soda works as a leavening when combined with an acid, such as vinegar, lemon juice, or orange juice as in the recipe above.
quietmorning
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2011, 07:57:13 PM »

My Church (St. Elizabeth's, Murfreesboro, Tn) is updating the Taste & See Cookbook (Taste and See II) and is looking for recipes across the United States that are fasting and primarily American.  If any one is interested in submitting their recipe to the new cookbook, if you will PM me, I'll forward the information to you.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 07:57:57 PM by quietmorning » Logged

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Phoenix73
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2011, 04:04:19 AM »

Hi
I googled, but can't find exactly what I am looking for.

Does anyone know a good falafel recipe, using fava beans only,  my dad had a really good one back from Egypt, but we don't remember it completely.

I remember soaking the fava beans for 2 days, then peeling them etc... The ingredients I remember is parsley, cumin,coriander, pepper, garlic,spring onion, salt, it was a very green and spicy falafel in the end, not like the ones in the shops around here.

Is this basically right?

Thanks for sharing. Smiley
Malina

Jurisdiction: Russian Patriarchate

« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2011, 09:49:20 AM »

Stop eating while you hungry, and don’t continue until you will be satisfied. In my opinion this is one of the best advices from the holy fathers.
In my life one of the difficult thing is to eat less then need. My wife and mother always like to cook many dishes and always try to peruse me to eat every dish. I always explaining them that I eat as mush as I need, but they don`t believe me and always try to add me additional food otherwise they will be offended.
Please help me, can you tell me advice how to avoid overeating or blaming (If I stopped eating while I am hungry) my mother and wife?

JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2011, 09:28:01 PM »

Recipe we love for Saag Aloo, indian spinach dish:
http://www.food.com/recipe/saag-aloo-156900

Optional (delicious) Modifications:
Use coconut oil, or vegetable oil.
Use spinach, kale or chard for the greens, steam/parboil separately,
drain, chop in a food processor.  Add in the end.
Boil potatoes, drain ahead of time, makes putting it together easier.
Add canned chickpeas/tofu with or instead of potatoes for additional protein.
Add a small can of chopped tomatoes or one large fresh tomato after step 3.
Add coconut milk or coconut kefir in the end to taste for creaminess.

Another big hit with us is using a regular stir-fry recipe, and subbing cashews for meat.

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
mersch

Faith: converting to orthodoxy, seems to be on hold

« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2011, 01:43:50 AM »

Been looking for a vegetarian (fast recipe) for black bean  chili soup?  Similar to Panera's........  help, love that soup, would like a similar version for everyday.......
Milica

Faith: Eastern Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox

« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2012, 09:06:35 PM »

This recipe is a little like vegetarian pita, but with a sort of Asian flavor.
Tofu Pastries
150 g firm tofu
2 small onions, minced
3 teaspoons freshly chopped coriander leaves
1/2 teaspoons grated orange rind
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce (you can get this in the 'Oriental' aisle of the grocery store. Otherwise, McDonald's has a little packet of sweet chili sauce you can use.  Grin )
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon cornflour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1 small cucumber, diced
1 small jalapeno, thinly sliced
1 small onion, minced
2 sheets phyllo dough
1 egg, lightly beaten

1. Drain the tofu, then pat dry and cut into small cubes.
2. Put the onion, coriander, rind, sauces, ginger, cornflour, and tofu and mix. Cover, then refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
3. To make the dipping sauce, place the sugar and vinegar in a small saucepan and stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and add the cucumber, chili, and extra small onion.
4. Preheat the oven to 425 F. Cut each pastry sheet into four squares. Drain the filling and divide into eight. Place one portion in the center of each square and fold into a triangle and seal the endges with a fork.
5. Bake for 15 minutes; serves 4.

It always helps to have a vegetarian cookbook!  Smiley

I didn't notice this thread was so old! :O
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 09:08:52 PM by Milica » Logged

Glory to Thee, O our God, glory to Thee!

O God, be merciful to me, a sinner.

O Lord, Jesus Christ, the Son of God, by the prayers of Thy most pure Mother, and all the saints, have mercy upon us.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2012, 09:06:03 PM »

Never been a tofu guy, but that's alot of ingredients for pastries.

I bought some stuff for a Lentil Chili tonight. Never used Chipotle peppers before, but I'm going to give it a shot.

Need to take this fasting thing alot more seriously.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 09:06:28 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2012, 09:30:37 PM »

Are there such things as lenten pierogies?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2012, 05:31:39 AM »

Are there such things as lenten pierogies?

I can't answer with regards to where they are known as pierogies, but in Romania the same (or so similar as I can't tell the difference) things are known chiroște. Actually in my wife's region they're piroște, which makes me think they must be the same thing exactly. (I can't be absolutely sure of this, however, as chiftele derives from Turkish kofte but are known as piftele to us). Anyway, yes there are lenten recipes for piroște. Lenten versions of the dough omit eggs (rather like how you can get pasta with or without egg) and of course the fillings will likewise be lenten. The first ones I ever tried, in fact, were lenten, being filled with sour cherries.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Tags: Food recipe cake Lent fasting 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: