OrthodoxChristianity.net
February 01, 2015, 05:28:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seeking advice  (Read 10344 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2015, 01:46:54 AM »

Am I too young to date? I am now 22 years old. I am still growing toward spiritual and emotional maturity and definitely not financially ready yet.

No. 13 is too young too date. You're 22 and have been living (I assume) on your own.  Nothing wrong with it. 

Now, keep in mind that you would only be dating this girl.  That doesn't mean you have to break the bank for her.  YOu're not married to her!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2015, 02:01:09 AM »

Currently I am a senior in my last semester in college. I have met a girl in Orthodox Christian Fellowship (OCF) at campus since April last year. She is an Orthodox Christian and has Greek heritage.  I really like her personality and want to know more about her. We have talked to each other multiple times, and I asked her interests, faith and culture. She is a very family oriented girl.

While interesting in getting to know more about her, I asked her if I can see her in lunch. She said sure and gave me her number without me asking. I don’t know her feeling toward me, but I feel I am attracted to her and want to see if there is something that can develop between me and her.

Here is something I feel concerned about:

Am I too young to date? I am now 22 years old. I am still growing toward spiritual and emotional maturity and definitely not financially ready yet.

Although she is active in Church and OCF, she seems interested in Buddhist mindfulness meditation practice, Zen and energy therapy. I am not saying that she believes in Buddhism, but she is probably into meditation in medical and psychological context to cope with emotional and medical issues. Will this be a big stumbling block for something serious between me and she develops, like emotional attachment? If later she has the same feeling toward me, should I ask her more about that just to be clarified?   

Right now I am only at the initial stage of knowing her. I am young and have never being in a relationship, but I realized it is not always something that seems as not difficult in literature and movies. I think getting to know and be attached to someone really requires time, emotional, spiritual and self discernment.

No, dating is bad, People who date do dirty stuff and then burn in hell.
If there any hope for us godforsaken sinners who made the mistake of dating before we realized it was a mortal sin?

I think mortal sin is a Roman Catholic invention and not likely to have significance for Pravoslavac. For me the worst sin is bearing false witness and lying.

I was going to reply to this statement of Pravoslavac as well, but it must include every event in one's life and the possibility that one of those events is sinful. I decided not to post to him, but I will to you and you can judge. I went on a date at age 17 in 1968 with a redhead with naturally curly hair, like DeniseDenise in that respect, we went to  a French restaurant called Place Pigalle in San Francisco and although I knew that name was a district associated with prostitutes in Paris, it was just a name of an expensive restaurant, like the Blue Fox (see Vertigo). On the drive back she wanted to see the view of the bay from the Oakland hills so I drove to Skyline Drive in the Oakland hills and parked on a side street. She took my hand and moved it underneath her mohair (popular at the time) sweater and told me to rub her breasts. From my perspective this made little sense, but I complied. She then started kissing me culminating in the insertion of her tongue, initially disconcerting, but I liked it. In retrospect I think it was  better than sex.

Any thoughts or advice on this?

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2015, 02:06:07 AM »

Yes. TMI.  Tongue Roll Eyes
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox - It's Ethnically Delicious
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America Outside America

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2015, 02:57:58 AM »

Yes. TMI.  Tongue Roll Eyes

The "Guilty Pleasures of OC.net" thread is here.

TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2015, 09:51:08 AM »

Currently I am a senior in my last semester in college. I have met a girl in Orthodox Christian Fellowship (OCF) at campus since April last year. She is an Orthodox Christian and has Greek heritage.  I really like her personality and want to know more about her. We have talked to each other multiple times, and I asked her interests, faith and culture. She is a very family oriented girl.

While interesting in getting to know more about her, I asked her if I can see her in lunch. She said sure and gave me her number without me asking. I don’t know her feeling toward me, but I feel I am attracted to her and want to see if there is something that can develop between me and her.

Here is something I feel concerned about:

Although she is active in Church and OCF, she seems interested in Buddhist mindfulness meditation practice, Zen and energy therapy. I am not saying that she believes in Buddhism, but she is probably into meditation in medical and psychological context to cope with emotional and medical issues. Will this be a big stumbling block for something serious between me and she develops, like emotional attachment? If later she has the same feeling toward me, should I ask her more about that just to be clarified?   

Right now I am only at the initial stage of knowing her. I am young and have never being in a relationship, but I realized it is not always something that seems as not difficult in literature and movies. I think getting to know and be attached to someone really requires time, emotional, spiritual and self discernment.

If there any hope for us godforsaken sinners who made the mistake of dating before we realized it was a mortal sin?

I think mortal sin is a Roman Catholic invention and not likely to have significance for Pravoslavac. For me the worst sin is bearing false witness and lying.

I was going to reply to this statement of Pravoslavac as well, but it must include every event in one's life and the possibility that one of those events is sinful. I decided not to post to him, but I will to you and you can judge. I went on a date at age 17 in 1968 with a redhead with naturally curly hair, like DeniseDenise in that respect, we went to  a French restaurant called Place Pigalle in San Francisco and although I knew that name was a district associated with prostitutes in Paris, it was just a name of an expensive restaurant, like the Blue Fox (see Vertigo). On the drive back she wanted to see the view of the bay from the Oakland hills so I drove to Skyline Drive in the Oakland hills and parked on a side street. She took my hand and moved it underneath her mohair (popular at the time) sweater and told me to rub her breasts. From my perspective this made little sense, but I complied. She then started kissing me culminating in the insertion of her tongue, initially disconcerting, but I liked it. In retrospect I think it was  better than sex.

Well, it sounds like you will be burning in hell. Sorry 'bout that, mate!  Undecided

Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 
LenInSebastopol
Dimly Illumined
High Elder

Faith: Baptized, March 9, 2014
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2015, 02:17:46 PM »

Wow, you are a piece of work.

I only wrote here a fact.

No, you only wrote your ignorance.

Contrary to what you may believe, this board is not a locker room for young brats to vent their hatred.

If you really are studying for the priesthood as you claim, post the name and contact information of your bishop, because he really needs to know what sort of nonsense the schools have failed to filter out these days.

Besides, shouldn't you be in class right now? What are you doing, monkeying around with a tablet PC when you are supposed to be paying attention?

If you expect to be able to dispense the sacraments from hands that write what you wrote, we are really in trouble.

Such unpleasantness coming from your kind warm loving care. We at our Serbian Orthodox Church where tradition still matters, we are at holy old calendar, so our Christmas holiday is still on.  angel

His holiness arch-bishop of Peć, metropolitan of Belgrade and Karlovac, Serbian Patriarch Irinej.
And i didn't say anything wrong, it is even in the Bible, sex outside the Church marriage, is harlotry, adultery. Don't know which word you are using. But People don't care, lol let me say only one thing.

Wow. Pravoslavac, you need to take up writing fiction as you see things that are not there and embellish them too. There was no mention of sex until you rode in on your white horse with the filth dripping from your thoughts.
 I can only assume you shall be a monk-priest since marriage is out of the question, as getting to know someone in various settings, environs and situations (we call it dating) is not allowed in your region, eh? Arranged marriages, I've heard, is an Old World custom which I may assume is still the case.
You sure you are not a Arab-Muslim, or a 14 year old boy? I guess I will never really know. Ah well, Lord have mercy.

Mark 14:36
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us
LenInSebastopol
Dimly Illumined
High Elder

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2015, 02:19:50 PM »

Hurdle- Get over it, her and yourself.
You are young, have a whole life ahead and there are more fish in the sea.
May you have many that get away and one that you will feast with forever.
Back to work now.

God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us
Pravoslavac
Moderated
Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #52 on: Yesterday at 03:36:40 PM »

Contrary to what you may believe, this board is not a locker room for young brats to vent their hatred.

If you really are studying for the priesthood as you claim, post the name and contact information of your bishop, because he really needs to know what sort of nonsense the schools have failed to filter out these days.

Besides, shouldn't you be in class right now? What are you doing, monkeying around with a tablet PC when you are supposed to be paying attention?

If you expect to be able to dispense the sacraments from hands that write what you wrote, we are really in trouble.

Such unpleasantness coming from your kind warm loving care. We at our Serbian Orthodox Church where tradition still matters, we are at holy old calendar, so our Christmas holiday is still on.  angel

His holiness arch-bishop of Peć, metropolitan of Belgrade and Karlovac, Serbian Patriarch Irinej.
And i didn't say anything wrong, it is even in the Bible, sex outside the Church marriage, is harlotry, adultery. Don't know which word you are using. But People don't care, lol let me say only one thing.

Wow. Pravoslavac, you need to take up writing fiction as you see things that are not there and embellish them too. There was no mention of sex until you rode in on your white horse with the filth dripping from your thoughts.
 I can only assume you shall be a monk-priest since marriage is out of the question, as getting to know someone in various settings, environs and situations (we call it dating) is not allowed in your region, eh? Arranged marriages, I've heard, is an Old World custom which I may assume is still the case.
You sure you are not a Arab-Muslim, or a 14 year old boy? I guess I will never really know. Ah well, Lord have mercy.

Actually yes, my father has found me a pious girl that lives in the mountains, our marriage will be arranged. Isn't life just unfair to some, i don't have to do anything and i get a wife, while some must date. lol

So long dating sinners!

Who doesn't like to be criticized? Hitler, Stalin and moderators.
Pravoslavac
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #53 on: Yesterday at 03:37:29 PM »

Dating is not ideal but I am not sure how to work against it. With younger unmarried people who live independently it is all that the western (and much of eastern) european societies really have to offer for meeting people for marriage.... sometimes when we are able to do courtship and such we may want to try and to things the old fashioned way.

Although one can hope that "by chance" one will meet someone who will develop romantic feelings toward them, this is not always so.

Here are my four techniques for finding romantic success:

#1 - Make yourself presentable. Dress as best as you can, groom yourself, be a positive cheerful sincere person who is willing to compromise and complement other people.
Ideally be at a point in your life where you have something to offer, or at least on your way to it. It is easier dating if you have a job that earns more money or are at least closer to having one within the next 2 or 3 years. Girls notice all these things and they do like a man who can provide for a family and makes a good impression.

#2 -Go where the girls you like are. There are two ways to do this. First way is to put yourself into social situations at least one day (ideally two days a week) where you are able to meet new people in a casual friendly way. The more girls you can talk to in person the more you might run into one who you have a special connection with and feels the same toward you. The second way to do this is actually not to go to social situations but simply make the most of whatever females you run across in your own personal interests , day ro day chores, school or job. Often times the girls that we have the most connection to are closer than we think, in our own job, a club or hobby we already belong to, our Church coffee hour...the next door neighbor. They may be near they may be far..but they are somewhere, never stop realizing they could be anywhere, in  a place you least imagine.

#3 - Emphasise a fun filled casual friendship - don't even kiss each other for a month or two - than at some point decide to "be more than friends". After that point you can enjoy kissing all you want because you'll know it's based on very sincere feelings. Most of the time commonality is very important. If you can become VERY VERY good friends who laugh at each others jokes all the time and are genuinely interested in each others regular habits and interests (which might seem boring to other people), than you can or will often eventually develop romantic feelings toward each other... a romance based on a deep friendship and laughter - that's what great marriages are built on. From there as long as you have faith in God, solid finances, willingness to sacrifice..not much will go wrong, somehow you have yourself a shot at lifelong happy marriage!

#4 - Make a point to make your search for your future wife your part time job. If you take it too casually, nothing may ever happen. Take advantage of speaking even if just one word to every possible cute or interesting girl you come across. Learn who you are, know yourself, love yourself, so you be your best toward another. Ideally you need to focus on romance for a certain period of your life - preferably when you have enough free time - thats how to have success.

#5 - Pray everyday to God to help you find your spouse. There are good prayers to this. Particular saints known for interceding.

#6 - Ask other (wiser) people for advice in romance. Without older wiser, already happily married people to ask, I'm not sure I would have known what I was doing.

So with these rules I have had great success and am with someone I have a deep reciprocal love with. I know this is possible for most people to have been blest how I was blest. Best wishes!

From which planet did you come? Or from which century? 19th? lol

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Deal with it.
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Now with bigger boots!

« Reply #54 on: Yesterday at 03:40:33 PM »

Actually yes, my father has found me a pious girl that lives in the mountains, our marriage will be arranged.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Mor Ephrem
The Fourteenth Apostle
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"The grace of God has appeared..."

« Reply #55 on: Yesterday at 04:08:58 PM »

Actually yes, my father has found me a pious girl that lives in the mountains, our marriage will be arranged.

May God bless you, Arachne, and your child's children unto thousands of generations.

"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."
LenInSebastopol
Dimly Illumined
High Elder

« Reply #56 on: Yesterday at 05:04:21 PM »

Actually yes, my father has found me a pious girl that lives in the mountains, our marriage will be arranged. Isn't life just unfair to some, i don't have to do anything and i get a wife, while some must date. lol
So long dating sinners!

Now I understand better why people in that region kill each other so often and with glee. Thanks for the insight.

Pravoslavac
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #57 on: Yesterday at 06:11:16 PM »

You got my sarcasm. Cheesy

Pravoslavac
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #58 on: Yesterday at 06:11:16 PM »

May God bless you, Arachne, and your child's children unto thousands of generations.

Instead throwing blessings, you could do a better job at moderating comments.

Pravoslavac
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #59 on: Yesterday at 06:11:16 PM »

So long dating sinners!

Now I understand better why people in that region kill each other so often and with glee. Thanks for the insight.

And of course i don't have arranged marriage. lol That was sarcasm. Our women don't live in the mountains, no one does that anymore.

Arachne
Protokentarchos

Now with bigger boots!

« Reply #60 on: Yesterday at 06:12:07 PM »

You got my sarcasm. Cheesy

You didn't get mine. Cool

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Arachne
Protokentarchos

Now with bigger boots!

« Reply #61 on: Yesterday at 06:12:37 PM »

He does. He's the one who put you on post moderation.

Arachne
Protokentarchos

Now with bigger boots!

« Reply #62 on: Yesterday at 06:13:36 PM »

So long dating sinners!

And of course i don't have arranged marriage. lol That was sarcasm. Our women don't live in the mountains, no one does that anymore.

What have you done to your mountains? Shocked

Mor Ephrem
The Fourteenth Apostle
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"The grace of God has appeared..."

« Reply #63 on: Yesterday at 06:48:08 PM »

As you wish.

"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."
Arachne
Protokentarchos

Now with bigger boots!

« Reply #64 on: Yesterday at 06:48:54 PM »

All right, folks, enough fun and frolics, and back on topic.

LenInSebastopol
Dimly Illumined
High Elder

« Reply #65 on: Yesterday at 08:24:58 PM »

Oh, yes. Forgot.
The love life of a young, smitten man!
Does he have the testosterone to pick himself up, dust himself off and move on?
Yes, self-pity is a drag and downer. Of course, as Our Lord loves each one of us in their own way,
that young man can learn to love another in a whole new way.
So, does that end this thread? Can we get back to flaming?
No?
But Pravoslavac just begs to be beaten!

Hey, PS, do you know what a sadist is?
Someone that's nice to a masochist!
Ba-dum-ta!

Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #66 on: Today at 12:06:02 AM »

Oh, yes. Forgot.
Yes, self-pity is a drag and downer. Of course, as Our Lord loves each one of us in their own way,
No?

Ba-dum-ta!

There are some statements here that irk me a bit. Not much, but the world does not revolve around male prima donnas.

First: "Does he have the testosterone to pick himself up, dust himself off and move on?"
Testosterone is not required for this. This has been historically attested to by Ginger Rogers in Swing Time:

(She)
Nothing's impossible I have found,
For when my chin is on the ground,
I pick myself up,
Dust myself off,
Start All over again.

Don't lose your confidence if you slip,
Be grateful for a pleasant trip,
And pick yourself up,
Dust yourself off,
Start all over again.

Work like a soul inspired,
Till the battle of the day is won.
You may be sick and tired,
But you'll be a man, my son!

Will you remember the famous men,
Who had to fall to rise again?
So take a deep breath,
Pick yourself up,
Dust yourself off,
Start all over again.

Second:
"Hey, PS, do you know what a sadist is? Someone that's nice to a masochist!"

Obvious joke to me, but there are some that will not get this. We should always be kind to masochists and sadists, alike.

LenInSebastopol
Dimly Illumined
High Elder

« Reply #67 on: Today at 12:45:03 AM »

Well, I bow to The Lady as she told me and put it right.
Oh, and it is not Prima Donna for males, just master, as in one's self.
Allow me to inform you, my dear Lady, males talk to each other in such ways
and worse. It is not my intent to offend or irk you in such, however for this male, and every male it does take what was proscribed.
If you are making an attempt to equilibrates the genders or actions and behaviors between same then you are buying into a fool's game and it is understandable why you are irked at the mere mention in the previous post. It is not in your purview to judge how one man communicates to another, barring inappropriate and offensive language or fisticuffs in the presence of a lady, such as yourself. And even then, though rarely, are fisticuffs appropriate.
My last line in the joke department may have informed English speakers world-wide that my sadist/masochist joke was an attempt at humor, poor as it was. And if not then they have deeper mentation issues to consider.
I will further endeavor to be kind to masochist and sadists as well, each in their own peculiar and individual way.
PS: Love your Swing Time post. Have enjoyed all 10 of their movies more than once. I don't know how she did it in high heels and backwards.  Thank you the reminder.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:46:41 AM by LenInSebastopol » Logged

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox - It's Ethnically Delicious
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America Outside America

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #68 on: Today at 02:08:26 AM »

Well, I bow to The Lady as she told me and put it right.
Oh, and it is not Prima Donna for males, just master, as in one's self.
Allow me to inform you, my dear Lady, males talk to each other in such ways
and worse. It is not my intent to offend or irk you in such, however for this male, and every male it does take what was proscribed.
If you are making an attempt to equilibrates the genders or actions and behaviors between same then you are buying into a fool's game and it is understandable why you are irked at the mere mention in the previous post. It is not in your purview to judge how one man communicates to another, barring inappropriate and offensive language or fisticuffs in the presence of a lady, such as yourself. And even then, though rarely, are fisticuffs appropriate.
My last line in the joke department may have informed English speakers world-wide that my sadist/masochist joke was an attempt at humor, poor as it was. And if not then they have deeper mentation issues to consider.
I will further endeavor to be kind to masochist and sadists as well, each in their own peculiar and individual way.
PS: Love your Swing Time post. Have enjoyed all 10 of their movies more than once. I don't know how she did it in high heels and backwards.  Thank you the reminder.

Opus118 is a man.

Pravoslavac
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #69 on: Today at 10:29:58 AM »

Oh, yes. Forgot.
No?

Ba-dum-ta!

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: