Author Topic: Meanwhile in Holy Russia  (Read 638 times)

Offline mike

• Pink Mafia
  • Protostrator
  • Pray for Christians in Radom!
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Meanwhile in Holy Russia
« on: September 14, 2016, 03:23:31 PM »
70% of pregnancies end in abortions in Russia - expert
http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=13262
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
Re: Meanwhile in Holy Russia
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 04:27:29 PM »
I'm more horrified by the high rate in Greece, which didn't have a godless regime indoctrinating the populace for decades.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline mike

• Pink Mafia
  • Protostrator
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 04:38:44 PM »
I'm more horrified by the high rate in Greece, which didn't have a godless regime indoctrinating the populace for decades.

Greece has 5-7 times less abortions than Russia.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 04:41:15 PM by mike »
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 05:32:12 PM »

Greece has 5-7 times less abortions than Russia.
and has spent an infinite less time under a godless regime indoctrinating the populace.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Avid apokatastisist
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 08:11:10 PM »
Is this the appropriate response to massacre of infants? "They do it too"? God forbid. Lord, have mercy.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• Stuck in the surreal dirty bubble of OC.NET!
  • Elder
  • Zealous Zealot of Zealotry
  • Faith: ortho-wannabe
  • Jurisdiction: goaa i guess
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 08:52:50 PM »
Any actual data to back up any of those numbers? Otherwise it sounds about as trustworthy as "4 out of 5 doctors recommend Kruschev Clinic for all your unwanted pregnancy needs! The 5th had to take care of an emergency in Siberia..."

Not that any number greater than zero is really acceptable here. Lord have mercy indeed!

Offline mike

• Pink Mafia
  • Protostrator
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 12:01:24 AM »
Any actual data to back up any of those numbers? Otherwise it sounds about as trustworthy as "4 out of 5 doctors recommend Kruschev Clinic for all your unwanted pregnancy needs! The 5th had to take care of an emergency in Siberia..."

It's a Russian state news agency?

Offline seekeroftruth777

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 12:21:58 AM »
Shameful, while many great things are happening in Russia, that nation still got a long way to go to truly become Christ like. Still as for us Americans on here, are we any better? Our nation promotes both sodomy, and baby killing.

Offline mike

• Pink Mafia
  • Protostrator
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 12:27:59 AM »
while many great things are happening in Russia,

lol

Still as for us Americans on here, are we any better?

As for abortion? 3.5 times better.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 12:28:12 AM by mike »

Offline seekeroftruth777

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 12:41:19 AM »
while many great things are happening in Russia,

lol

Still as for us Americans on here, are we any better?

As for abortion? 3.5 times better.

You seem to not like Russia a lot, Why? As far 3.5 times better that only official statics, there many abortions done off the record.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
    • Blog
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of the South
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 01:08:13 AM »
We have way more McDonald's restaurants than Russia.  We win!
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline vorgos

• High Elder
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 02:20:00 AM »
I wonder how much contraception plays a role in this. Is contraception frowned upon or disliked in these countries for example hence the large number of unwanted pregnancies? Perhaps is it the lack of promotion it gets through the educational systems as in the west?

Offline Porter ODoran

• Avid apokatastisist
  • Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 11:01:42 AM »
Then consider the terrible misogyny and abuse at least in urban centers. Life in Russia is not easy. The Church has much to do to prove itself the friend of mankind.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline mike

• Pink Mafia
  • Protostrator
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 11:52:50 AM »
I wonder how much contraception plays a role in this. Is contraception frowned upon or disliked in these countries for example hence the large number of unwanted pregnancies? Perhaps is it the lack of promotion it gets through the educational systems as in the west?

From what I understand abortion is considered a form of contraception. Fairly popular because it's funded by the state, 100% effective, and you do not need to worry about it beforehand.

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • Holy Trinity Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Western Rite Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: AOCNA - Diocese of Charleston and beyond
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 02:26:20 PM »
70% of pregnancies end in abortions in Russia - expert
http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=13262
Which is why it should be made illegal and punishable.

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline Mor Ephrem

• ʿalayhi al-salām
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Abp Yeznik Petrosian Defender of the Faith
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2016, 05:02:34 PM »
In terms of bulk numbers, Russians have a greater number of marriages, divorces and abortions per capita than any other developed country. These statistics document an impetus to do whatever it takes to act upon emotions, and often at the cost of one’s own comfort. Russian romance is closely accompanied by substance abuse, domestic violence and abandoned children: the by-products of lives that were never really thought‑through very clearly. Apparently, believing in fate each time you fall in love is not such a great alternative to excessive choice.

https://aeon.co/essays/russia-against-the-western-way-of-love
Quote from: Fr Alexander Schmemann
The Gospel is quite clear: both saints and sinners love God. "Religious" people do not love him, and whenever they can, they crucify him.

Of course, OC.net is not reflective of the Church, but is rather a surreal bubble. I have visited a lot of different parishes around the world and have listened to many hours of AFR...

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2016, 05:15:10 PM »

but the woman giving the figure is not.

Offline mike

• Pink Mafia
  • Protostrator
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2016, 12:11:11 AM »

So you tell me, why one of the biggest tubes of Russian propaganda would have published it if it had been fake?

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2016, 12:20:53 AM »

So you tell me, why one of the biggest tubes of Russian propaganda would have published it if it had been fake?
Russia outlaws abortion ads
Abortions are legal in Russia and have been since Soviet times, but currently centrist-conservative lawmakers want to limit or completely ban such practices saying it is partly responsible for the country's dwindling population.

In early October an official representative of the Russian Orthodox Church blasted abortions and surrogacy as “mutiny against God” and less than a month later the head of the Lower House committee for family and children, Yelena Mizulina, said in a speech that the community must urgently stop tolerating abortions and surrogacy as they threaten to wipe out the population in Russia, and the world as a whole.

The move gained little support from other politicians and shortly afterwards Mizulina played down her statements saying that she wanted to draw attention to the problem and start a discussion, not introduce any legislative limitations.
https://www.rt.com/politics/russia-abortion-advertising-ban-266/

You seem to always insinuate that the Russian Government lies, but somehow here they are telling the absolute truth (which they may- I took no stand on that).

Offline mike

• Pink Mafia
  • Protostrator
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2016, 12:25:10 AM »
You seem to always insinuate that the Russian Government lies, but somehow here they are telling the absolute truth (which they may- I took no stand on that).

When a source publishes a newspiece praising itself I take it with a doubt. When a source publishes a newpiece downgrading itself, I tend to take it as true. Before I read anything about news I first think, who, why, and when wrote it, and not only about Russian sources but in general. And only later I look more deeply in the content.

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2016, 12:30:29 AM »

When a source publishes a newspiece praising itself I take it with a doubt. When a source publishes a newpiece downgrading itself, I tend to take it as true. Before I read anything about news I first think, who, why, and when wrote it, and not only about Russian sources but in general. And only later I look more deeply in the content.
and you didn't do that this time why?

Offline mike

• Pink Mafia
  • Protostrator
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2016, 12:38:12 AM »

I did actually. And only two reasons came to my mind why would Interfax have published it if it had been fake (but it's not):

a) the real numbers are worse
b) they consider abortion a nbd whatsoever

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2016, 01:19:39 AM »

I did actually. And only two reasons came to my mind why would Interfax have published it if it had been fake (but it's not):

a) the real numbers are worse
b) they consider abortion a nbd whatsoever
so you just came up short.

Offline RaphaCam

• Archon
  • New Martyr Elizabeth
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2016, 01:54:43 AM »
nvm
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 01:55:20 AM by RaphaCam »
"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty." (Psalm 90:1)

Offline BrotherBoris

• Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2016, 04:22:39 AM »
Seriously, I wonder how much the housing shortage in Russia contributes to the high abortion figures.  I watched a program on Russia Today where they said that most Russians live in small apartments that consist of two rooms, with a tiny kitchen and a tiny bathroom.  If that is accurate, how could the average Russian family even have room to raise more than two children?

I also wonder how available birth control pills are in Russia.  If they are not readily available, that combined with the housing supply would tend to result in a lot of unwanted pregnancies for women living in tight, small cramped living spaces. 

And what is the cost of living like in Russia?  Are two incomes necessary in most cases for parents to raise children?  How hard is it to get a larger apartment if a Russian family wants to have more children and needs more space?

All of these issues would contribute to a higher abortion rate.

I wonder how much improving the the living conditions of the Russian people might contribute to lowering the abortion rate?

Offline Saxon

• Faith: Orthodox (Imminent)
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2016, 07:17:14 AM »
Russia is still dealing with the legacy of 70 years of godless, dehumanizing communism. Unrestricted abortion was one of the hallmarks of that system. Great progress is being made by Putin and the United Russia Party in shoring up social values in the state; an overnight blanket ban on abortion would exacerbate an already tense situation, with foreign-funded radical feminist groups taking to the streets as part of the West's attempts to destabilize Putin's government. Give it time - Russia needs a higher birthrate, and, in concert with the Church, Putin will put an end to this.

Offline Iconodule

• Professor of Cryptopatristics at Miskatonic University
  • Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2016, 07:59:25 AM »
"Give it time..." Such words demonstrate naïveté and also unwittingly show that you do not consider abortion as serious an issue as you claim. Blaming western-backed outside agitators is of course the cliched icing on the cake.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline mike

• Pink Mafia
  • Protostrator
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2016, 09:36:30 AM »
I started this thread to watch defenders of Holy Russia doing some mental and moral gymnastics to argue it's nbd whatsoever. I cannot say I am disappointed.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 09:46:53 AM by mike »