Author Topic: Putting the dog down  (Read 116 times)

Offline wainscottbl

• Aspie weirdo of the forum
  • Archon
Putting the dog down
« on: March 29, 2015, 04:58:28 PM »
 :'( Well, our ten year old dog is sick. He hurt his leg, but has had a yeast problem for a long time. Yes, a dog with a yeast infection....his fur falls off on his back and now it is bleeding and...we have had to get it taken care of too many times. Too much suffering. I really hate to do it. What I hate is the idea of looking into his eyes as his life fades away. He'll look at me at first like nothing is happening and then his life will fade away. I'll be holding his pall.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( It brings tears to my eyes to think about it. This week I think.  :'( :'( I had him since the year I graduated. Rest in peace, Shadow.... :'( :'( :'(
"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life." --Gebre Menfes Kidus

I once said to my father, when I was a boy, 'Dad we need a third political party.' He said to me, 'I'll settle for a second.' --Ralph Nader, America's Cato

Offline wainscottbl

• Aspie weirdo of the forum
  • Archon
Re: Putting the dog down
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 05:00:49 PM »
He just barked to come in....gee.... :'(
"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life." --Gebre Menfes Kidus

I once said to my father, when I was a boy, 'Dad we need a third political party.' He said to me, 'I'll settle for a second.' --Ralph Nader, America's Cato

Offline eddybear

• Elder
  • Faith: Anglodox
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 08:08:53 AM »
Sorry to hear this. Have said goodbye to enough dearly loved pets over the years, and it's always horrible.  :'( But if Shadow is suffering and you know his time has come, then you'll be doing what is best for him, painful for you and the family as it is.

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 09:50:55 AM »
I'm sorry for you. I wish a peacefull passing for Shadow.
Many energies, three persons, two natures, one God, one Church, one Baptism.

Offline Gamliel

• Archon
  • ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστον βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 09:55:37 AM »
I have been through putting our dog down also.  It is like putting one owns family member down.  It is hard.  LORD have mercy!

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 10:30:36 AM »
So sorry to hear. Lord, have mercy.
Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 12:44:08 PM »
Lord have mercy.  :'(
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline wgw

• Amateur Liturgical Enthusiast
  • High Elder
  • The above Syriac icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: I presently commune at a Coptic parish
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 09:54:22 PM »
Not wanting to add any sorrow to your situation, but there are alternatives to euthanasia.  I know how painful seeing a pet suffer is however.

My beloved cat got sick and died in the night peacefully in our house after 13 years.  But I believe he died happily and not in any severe pain.  That was in 2005.

But before resorting to euthanasia, if you can afford it I urge you to consider treatment options.  I wish there was hospice care for pets because from what I understand they become very terrified when actually being euthanized, and I could not do it to a pet of mine just for the final trauma.  If it came down to it, if I had a firearm or a syringe of morphine or some other means of swiftly and painlessly ending the life of my pet at home, and not in a vets office, I would do it that way.

I hope this post doesn't add to your suffering at all and I feel with your pain immensely.  So please don't take offence at all, I just want to encourage you, if you can, to look into alternate treatment options or, if your dog is in agony and can't be treated, a more humane approach than the vets office. I wish vets would at least make house calls for euthanasia.

A few years earlier by the way we took our cat to a vet.  The first doctor said he had feline AIDS or infectious peritonitis and wanted us to put him down.  The second vet, a caring woman, lovingly took him out of his oxygen cage and listened to his lungs and determined he had highly treatable asthma.  I bitterly,regret not taking my cat to the vet for diagnostics in his third illness, except by the time we found him he was so sick he might have perished in transit.

So, I pray for you, your dog and your family.  Kyrie Eleison, Kyrie eleison, Kyrie Eleison.

:'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:54:56 PM by wgw »
I am Oriental Orthodox but love the Eastern Orthodox, and the Byzantine liturgy.  I also love the Western liturgy.  I hope for the reconciliation of our churches.

Please forgive any offense my posts cause; none is intended. No statements I make should be regarded as authoritative, regardless of tone. Let us bless the Lord ar all times.