OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 21, 2014, 11:02:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: orthodox wedding too weird for guests-how to deal?  (Read 105 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: Today at 04:52:47 PM »

Did any of you run into a situation where some family/ friends would find an orthodox church wedding with crowning and building too weird for them? How would you or did you deal with the situation?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: Today at 04:54:15 PM »

Smash a plate and yell "Opa!"

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #2 on: Today at 05:12:53 PM »

American society has three unbreakable rules governing social etiquette across the lifespan: you can never tell a mother that her baby is ugly, you can never say anything except complimentary things to a couple on their wedding day, and you can never speak honestly at a funeral if it will make the deceased or their immediate family look bad.

Seriously. Smiley I'm not sure what problems people would have, unless they were vehemently iconoclastic or something, and even then I'm not sure that it'd 've a big deal, or that anything could be done. Though to be honest, if someone wouldn't attend a wedding (or would attend but express displeasure) because the building or service or something made them feel weird, I don't  I'd give them much of a response regardless. Unless there is some major issue or taboo or something that I am unaware of. Huh

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin

Hey, so I'm in a pop-alt-punk-folk-prog band called "Affable Dregs" and we have a new album coming out, titled "Vicious Turnips Always Taste Most Delicious." We'd really appreciate your support!
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:19:07 PM »

American society has three unbreakable rules governing social etiquette across the lifespan: you can never tell a mother that her baby is ugly, you can never say anything except complimentary things to a couple on their wedding day, and you can never speak honestly at a funeral if it will make the deceased or their immediate family look bad.

Seriously. Smiley I'm not sure what problems people would have, unless they were vehemently iconoclastic or something, and even then I'm not sure that it'd 've a big deal, or that anything could be done. Though to be honest, if someone wouldn't attend a wedding (or would attend but express displeasure) because the building or service or something made them feel weird, I don't  I'd give them much of a response regardless. Unless there is some major issue or taboo or something that I am unaware of. Huh

I have to say that over the years the only kind of observations that I've heard of our weddings is how remarkable and beautiful they are.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #4 on: Today at 06:26:14 PM »

Almost all of the Orthodox Christian weddings I have attended have a specially designed booklet describing the ceremony and what all the symbols mean: the crown, the icons, and any customs or traditions that may seem a little strange. They also have the actual service translated into English, especially if it is in Greek.

Some of these booklets are very creative. A groom who was into construction used nuts and bolts to fasten his wedding booklet. Others use ribbons, etc.

Almost everyone was amazed at how beautiful Orthodox Christian Churches or chapels are. They are far more appreciated than a wedding chapel in Las Vegas or a court room.
« Last Edit: Today at 06:29:25 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:29:01 PM »

I have to say that over the years the only kind of observations that I've heard of our weddings is how remarkable and beautiful they are.

My exact experience as well.
« Last Edit: Today at 06:29:17 PM by LBK » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: