Author Topic: How to educate our children from young age in the orthodox faith?  (Read 1148 times)

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
Re: How to educate our children from young age in the orthodox faith?
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2015, 07:47:14 PM »
What is read, chanted and sung in every Orthodox church service (and in prayers found in every Orthodox prayer book) is full of OT scripture, as well as NT. So your advice of "no OT for children" has to mean "no church services for children" and "no prayers from Orthodox prayer books".

I don't see a justification for this extreme conclusion.  Reading the OT at home is different from reading/singing/hearing selected portions of it in the course of church services or woven into ecclesiastical compositions.   

Mountain stated "no OT for children". I was simply pointing out the fallacy of his statement.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline CarolS

• Lurker Extraordinaire
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2015, 08:03:29 PM »
1. Teach your children the stories of the Bible and lives of the Saints. We had a 30 minute drive to church and I would tell the Bible stories in the car. Oral story telling can be more powerful than just reading.
2. Say prayers at home with your children.  A regular routine of short prayers and kissing the family icons becomes a lifelong habit.
3. Celebrate their patron saints day in a special way. It need not be with gifts, but attend church if possible,  make a gift to the church of money, candles, incense, wine or oil (check with priest to see what can be used) or bring flowers. If you can't get to church, decorate the saint's icon at home and light a candle or oil lamp. These are things the kids can learn to do themselves.
4. Live an Orthodox life yourself and teach by example. Orthodoxy need not be just a set of oppressive rules. Your kids need to see that attending church on Sunday and feasts is more important than sleeping in, sports or entertainment.
5. Find ways for the children to participate  at church services. Having something to do keeps them from getting bored. Bible story picture books for the little ones; teach them to follow the service books when they begin to read and sing along and cross themselves where appropriate; tend candles or serve as an acolyte when they get older.

Online Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
  • All who love ZZ, honour ZZ!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #47 on: Yesterday at 12:39:43 AM »
What is read, chanted and sung in every Orthodox church service (and in prayers found in every Orthodox prayer book) is full of OT scripture, as well as NT. So your advice of "no OT for children" has to mean "no church services for children" and "no prayers from Orthodox prayer books".

I don't see a justification for this extreme conclusion.  Reading the OT at home is different from reading/singing/hearing selected portions of it in the course of church services or woven into ecclesiastical compositions.   

Mountain stated "no OT for children". I was simply pointing out the fallacy of his statement.

Mountain is also not a native English speaker, and doesn't seem to have had an issue clarifying himself in response to you.  You seem to have a need to beat everyone else over the head with your correctness, whether or not it is correct. 
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

New thread topic.  Rate the sexual attractiveness of members of OC.net on a scale of 1-10.

Mor Ephrem: 11/10

Offline NicholasMyra

• Avowed denominationalist
  • Taxiarches
  • Nepsis or Sepsis™
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian+Greek
I don't know. Some of those psalms can really be violent. ;)
So are kids
Vote for a Ministry section on OC.net

Πάντα μὲν καθαρὰ τοῖς καθαροῖς
Τοῖς δὲ μεμιασμένοις καὶ ἀπίστοις οὐδὲν καθαρόν