OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 04:26:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A question for parents  (Read 262 times) Average Rating: 0
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« on: Yesterday at 03:25:37 PM »

I have a question for parents whose children have already moved away from home. Not looking for advice or anything but just curious on how other families work.

When you meet your children, what do you actually do with them? I mean besides the usual things like offering food and asking how they are doing. Do you have some kind of family activities? Do you have common hobbies?
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 03:33:44 PM »

I'm on the other side of that. I'm the kid who goes back to visit with his parents.  We see them about 1-2x a month, usually just to visit, sometimes for dinner. They love seeing my kids play, so they get together with us more to see them than anything else. Grandkids are magnets. My dad and I trade off helping each other at our houses whether it be painting a room, installing a ceiling fan, etc. We chat weekly as well on the phone. My dad and I like investing in stocks so usually when we get together, we discuss our latest companies that we are researching. It bores the heck out of my mom and wife, but it works for us.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 05:59:13 PM »

Our relationship to my parents: open hostility and insult hurling-haven't spoken in almost 2 years

Our relationship to my in-laws: Sort of stand-offish friendly, we see each other 1-2 times a year at a max.

What I would love to have with our children, or with our parents:

Family meals together for holidays/birthdays (alternating with our kids' in-laws of course), I'd love to have a great big house where all the kids and grandkids can come visit as often as they like. If I could choose, there would be a great big family meal at least once a month.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: