OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 04:28:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: He who prays is a theologian  (Read 138 times) Average Rating: 0
mikeforjesus
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« on: March 05, 2014, 08:31:57 AM »

This is a saying from a saint I think.

Do you know any bible verses which may suggest if I spend more time with God I will become free from heresy? it is after all a work of the flesh mentioned by st paul and he who walks by the Spirit can overcome it.

So is everyone who is not a heretic living holy lives? will God not help me if I don't avoid evil daily? I am asking because I don't want to say to God I never knew the way to freedom on judgement day

I think I am free to some degree already but I want to discover how the church interpreted every verse I thought which suggests heresy like hell as a purgatory because many are being deceived and God's people are destroyed for lack of knowledge St Paul said to timothy to read the bible often that his progress is evident to all and saves himself and those who hear him. The bible saint paul said is useful for doctrine and reproof

Thanks for listening
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 08:36:38 AM by mikeforjesus » Logged
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 01:36:21 AM »

This is a saying from a saint I think.

The saying is from St. Evagrios:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,10959.0.html

Do you know any bible verses which may suggest if I spend more time with God I will become free from heresy? it is after all a work of the flesh mentioned by st paul and he who walks by the Spirit can overcome it.

So is everyone who is not a heretic living holy lives? will God not help me if I don't avoid evil daily? I am asking because I don't want to say to God I never knew the way to freedom on judgement day

I think I am free to some degree already but I want to discover how the church interpreted every verse I thought which suggests heresy like hell as a purgatory because many are being deceived and God's people are destroyed for lack of knowledge St Paul said to timothy to read the bible often that his progress is evident to all and saves himself and those who hear him. The bible saint paul said is useful for doctrine and reproof

Thanks for listening

You're over-thinking this.

Just do your best to love God and your neighbor, and pray.

Read your Bible, but also listen to the sermons at church, and attend your church's Bible study.  You avoid heresy by learning and adhering to your Church's teachings. 

mikeforjesus
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 10:06:27 AM »

thanks
Tags: Evagrius 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: