OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 11:14:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using a Prayer Rope  (Read 1714 times) Average Rating: 0
QuoVadis

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: March 10, 2006, 01:00:35 AM »

I've got a quick question for you all - seeing it's Lent, I'm just reading through "The Way of a Pilgrim" and also trying to use a prayer rope (again).  I find it actually easier to use Catholic rosary beads, than a prayer rope to say the Jesus Prayer.  Is this wrong to use a rosary? (Please excuse me if you're Catholic ... but I've taken off the three beads that lead up to the circle, then just re-attached the crucifix there, so it's simply a circle of beads, rather than the circle of beads with the end tail, if that makes sense).  My apologies for such a stupid question.

Thanks.

"Without sorrows there is no salvation. On the other hand, the Kingdom of God awaits those who have patiently endured. And all the glory of the world is nothing in comparison." - St Seraphim of Sarov
Landon77
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA (Antiochian Western Orthodox in exile)

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 01:13:19 PM »

You could have just bought a prayer rope that looks like that.  See this page -> http://www.istok.ca/home.php?cat=728

"How stands your mighty god? My God is stronger than he."  -St. Boniface
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 08:10:01 PM »

In the Catholic Church, it is not unusual for people to pray the rosary together. In the Orthodox Church, do people ever pray the Jesus Prayer together using prayer ropes?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 08:11:17 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 09:20:25 PM »

I've heard of people praying the Jesus prayer "together" insofar as they'll take turns praying aloud...

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
QuoVadis

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 01:11:34 AM »

I'm using the rosary beads to pray ONLY the Jesus Prayer, not the Catholic Hail Mary etc prayers.  I just find the beads are easier to hold than the rope.

"Without sorrows there is no salvation. On the other hand, the Kingdom of God awaits those who have patiently endured. And all the glory of the world is nothing in comparison." - St Seraphim of Sarov
Bizzlebin
Theologian
High Elder

Faith: Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: OCA

MonkBot, Go Forth!

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 05:50:05 AM »

I'm using the rosary beads to pray ONLY the Jesus Prayer, not the Catholic Hail Mary etc prayers.  I just find the beads are easier to hold than the rope.

Some prayer "ropes" are made with beads anyways. It should be quite ok to use them in such a fashion.

Fashions and opinions among men may change, but the Orthodox tradition remains ever the same, no matter how few may follow it.

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
Lauren_Elisse
Elder

Faith: Antiochian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: United States

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 02:46:22 AM »

Hey guys!
It's been a good few years now eh!?
I've been looking for a prayer rope recently, but in place of one I have been using a cross.
It doesn't just feel like normal one too me because I have been using it for a good 8 years of my life, I use it to pray, if I need to feel protected, I put it in my bag and take it with me, I go to sleep holding it, and sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night still holding it and praying.
Is there really a need for a prayer rope?

Psalms 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
xuxana
babygirl

Faith: Russian Orthodox

i♡ΙΧΘΥΣ!

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 04:01:40 AM »

what i do is even way more shocking. i do the jesus prayer on the rose quartz crystal mala beads from tibet that my co-worker got me on her trip to india 3 years ago. i love it.  it's 108 beads tho.  but its smooth & soothing. i cant imagine using a wool prayer rope. not my cup of tea. a rosary is nice but they are usually made with synthetic materials.  i like rose quartz or amethyst quartz.

Ephesians 6:10-18
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 04:15:38 AM »

what i do is even way more shocking. i do the jesus prayer on the rose quartz crystal mala beads from tibet that my co-worker got me on her trip to india 3 years ago.

A story about the redemption of a mala...

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,20512.msg313399.html#msg313399
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 04:24:26 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 04:25:44 AM »

However... consult and listen to your spiritual father.

Taking this to your spiritual father and heeding his direction is probably the best thing you could do. 

One of Orthodoxy's major "devotions" and spiritual disciplines is finding and obeying a spiritual director (as it is also for serious Catholics.)  Please consult yours about these things which are fascinating you. 

Let the words of Saint Dorotheus of Gaza be our guide if we wish to set out on the path of spiritual progress:

"I know of no falling away of a monk which did not come from his reliance on
his own sentiments. Nothing is more pitiful, nothing more disastrous than to
be one's own spiritual director."

xuxana
babygirl

Faith: Russian Orthodox

i♡ΙΧΘΥΣ!

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 04:49:43 AM »

what i do is even way more shocking. i do the jesus prayer on the rose quartz crystal mala beads from tibet that my co-worker got me on her trip to india 3 years ago.

A story about the redemption of a mala...

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,20512.msg313399.html#msg313399
wow. i should do that. i was thinking of bringing it to pre-sanctified liturgy and have father consecrate it on the altar but i didnt want to weird him out.  actually, ive been "consecrating" the mala beads on my own by putting it next to my vladimir icon on my nightstand.  i hope it works.

Ephesians 6:10-18
Paisius
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Multi-Jurisdictional

Reframed

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 09:59:28 PM »

I've heard of people praying the Jesus prayer "together" insofar as they'll take turns praying aloud...

At St John of Shanghai monastery in CA the brotherhood gathers together periodically to say the Jesus Prayer. One of the monks starts and then they say it silently for a period of time.

Yours in Christ
Joe

"Is it really true that political self-interest is nobler somehow than economic self-interest?" - Milton Friedman
Isadore

Jurisdiction: Mediterranean

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 10:08:28 PM »

I have a nice one, but I more often end up counting on my fingers because I pray in weird situations. I have LDs so I probably miss a few prayers or toss a few extra in but um...it's the thought that counts (because I can't..)

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and around you thousands will be saved."
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 10:32:40 PM »

The Hermitage of Holy Cross makes prayer ropes out of olive wood beads.

http://www.holycross-hermitage.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=PR0103
Tags: prayer chotki 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: