OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 07:34:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have boycotted Myspace...  (Read 2706 times) Average Rating: 0
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« on: March 09, 2006, 09:51:29 AM »

Because of how much of my time it would waste, I gave up Myspace for Lent. Now that I'm living without it, I've decided to give it up indefinitely. Given that it is owned by Rupert Murdock, the owner of Fox News, using this service goes against everything that I stand for as a student journalist. Furthermore, like many members, I used it as a crutch to make up for a lack of a social life. Now that I've given up Myspace, I'm actually talking with girls and getting their phone numbers. (Remember when we'd actually call people instead of just leaving internet messages?) Not that I intend to brag concerning women, but it is an example of how my personality has opened up to be much more friendly and less abrasive in the past few weeks. If I am to be an example of Christ to the world, I cannot spend all my time tied to a computer instead of talking with real people. Sure, blogging is great but there are much better services available than Myspace. The reason why I post this thread is because I recommend that anyone who belongs to this forum should give up Myspace also. If you do not currently own a Myspace account, you are already blessed.

Peace.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 09:54:27 AM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 10:58:05 AM »

What's wrong with Fox News? I find that by watching Fox News in concert with CNN, one can form a balanced view (i.e. one in the middle).

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 11:15:45 AM »

While CNN is generally as committed to the center as much as possible, Fox is unapolagetically conservative. Even without its political bias, I'd oppose Fox News and Rupert Murdock for colsolidating the media. There's no room for free thought and free inquiry in journalism when media is concentrated in the hands of the powerful few.
For a news source that is mostly "fair and balanced", I'd definitely have to recommend The Nation.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 11:18:00 AM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 11:21:58 AM »

While CNN is generally as committed to the center as much as possible, Fox is unapolagetically conservative. Even without its political bias, I'd oppose Fox News and Rupert Murdock for colsolidating the media. There's no room for free thought and free inquiry in journalism when media is concentrated in the hands of the powerful few.
For a news source that is mostly "fair and balanced", I'd definitely have to recommend The Nation.

If you think CNN is not biased towards the left, then I don't really think there is much point to discussing this further as we have different worldviews.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 11:27:41 AM »

For someone who leans right, a news source that is centrist (or center-left at best), would have a leftist bias. I see why you'd feel that way but Fox News leans more to the right than CNN ever would lean to the left.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 11:35:36 AM »

For someone who leans right, a news source that is centrist (or center-left at best), would have a leftist bias. I see why you'd feel that way but Fox News leans more to the right than CNN ever would lean to the left.

I don't really think you can say I have a right-wing political bias.  My political views are more populist (i.e. reverse libertarian).  On some issues you would be surprised the way I feel.  But anyway, you are saying that I think CNN is left because I have a right-wing bias, yet you have a left-wing bias so I could just say the reverse of what you are saying, namely that of course a center-right source like Fox is right wing to you, a leftwinger, and that of course, Fox News is closer to the center than CNN.  I just think that to say that, you are making an unsubstantiated claim.

What really disturbs me though is not your left wing bias, as I believe all people have a bias, but rather that you say that "as a student journalist I find..." and then you proceed to discredit Fox News.  Are the journalists on Fox News not really journalists? Does Fox News never have insightful commentary?  You are trying to discredit the source instead of addressing the argument.  I personally watch and read a mix of liberal, centrist, rightist, radical, and reactionary news sources including Time Magazine, CNN, Fox, The Washington Report on Middle Eastern Affairs, the Economist, National Review, Foreign Policy, NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams (he wasn't like Tom Brokaw though!), among others (I am not saying I read and watch every episode/edition, but that I generally use all of these resources) to form my views.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 11:39:22 AM »

As someone who wants an objective view of the news, I wont only watch/read Fox News and CNN, but also the BBC, and various other international news agencies. EVERYBODY has a bias, it's impossible to get arround. As far as limiting the free flow of information by consolidating the news agencies, I think the internet has naturally solved that problem.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Meekle
Elder

Meekle of Rohan, Dunadan Bard of the Riddermark

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 12:07:11 PM »

I'm not sure, but doesn't this deal with American politics?
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 12:09:28 PM »

I suppose it does.  I am only writing as a participant, so I will recuse myself from such a judgment. If one of the moderators wishes to move it, that's fine.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 12:09:42 PM »

It's getting close... but it seems that this is all about socio-economic leanings, not necessarily political parties per se.  It just defends on how closely you're going to define american pol.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2006, 03:48:28 PM »

I don't really think you can say I have a right-wing political bias.  My political views are more populist (i.e. reverse libertarian).  On some issues you would be surprised the way I feel. ÂÂ

Regardless of your political views, it is a claim made predominently by conservatives that CNN has a leftist bias. Ted Turner donates money to Republican campaigns, just as he does for Democrats. Like most mainstream media, CNN perpetuates the myth of objectivity in journalism, attempting to report from the center. If there is a hint of leftism, it would never reach beyond the center-left.

Are the journalists on Fox News not really journalists? Does Fox News never have insightful commentary? ÂÂ

Most commentators on Fox News are apologists for the Republican Party and the globalist agenda rather than independent-minded journalists. The leadership behind Fox News encourages on-air praise for the Bush administration,
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 03:59:55 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2006, 03:54:04 PM »

Most commentators on Fox News are apologists for the Republican Party and the globalist agenda rather than independent-minded journalists. The leadership behind Fox News encourages on-air praise for the Bush administration,

That describes some people on Fox.  But there are also liberal reporters and others that are quite critical of the Bush administration and the direction the Republican party is going.  I often wonder if the people that hate Fox so much actually watch it.  
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2006, 04:02:36 PM »

[quote author=Νεκτάριος link=topic=8391.msg110721#msg110721 date=1141934044]
That describes some people on Fox. [/quote]

Alan Colmes, Fox News' token liberal, seems deliberately chosen to portray the left in a negative light. While compared to the handsome Sean Hannity, Colmes looks like a jack o'lantern. While compared to Hannity's confrontational style, Colmes comes off as a weakling.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 04:06:47 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2006, 04:52:11 PM »

Alan Colmes, Fox News' token liberal, seems deliberately chosen to portray the left in a negative light. While compared to the handsome Sean Hannity, Colmes looks like a jack o'lantern. While compared to Hannity's confrontational style, Colmes comes off as a weakling.

Sounds like someone's been reading some Al Franken! LOL

PS - This topic is very close to getting the boot to the politics section.  You know the rules.

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2006, 04:55:18 PM »

Sounds like someone's been reading some Al Franken! LOL

I doubt that Franken would refer to him as "handsome." Wink

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2006, 06:21:13 PM »

If anyone has a problem with Neil Cavuto, I'm gonna have to open up a can of kick-butt. Grin The funny thing is that he has a business show, yet I have found it to be the best news commentary show over the last half dozen years (though Stewart's is pretty funny, and Glenn Beck's is also funny). Anyway, regarding ...

While compared to the handsome Sean Hannity, Colmes looks like a jack o'lantern. While compared to Hannity's confrontational style, Colmes comes off as a weakling.

I've never thought of either of them as good looking, but maybe that's just me. Smiley As far as Hannity goes, I think of him as a passionate person who often crosses the line into being a bully or intellectually dishonest. And I say that as a conservative.

What I think is funny about CNN is that Rush Limbaugh calls Wolf Blitzer "my good buddy" all the time on his show (I only listen to Rush while driving 20 minutes to work a couple times a week, and even in that small space I hear Rush say that). Maybe someone should investigate whether the CNN anchor is in league with the soulless minions of Republicanism!

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2006, 11:14:11 PM »

I started a Xanga to replace my Myspace, and I will be linking to it on my Myspace profile. However, I will not be posting on it until after Lent:
www.xanga.com/fosteringfreethought

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2006, 11:32:19 PM »

Because of how much of my time it would waste, I gave up Myspace for Lent.
Now that I'm living without it, I've decided to give it up indefinitely.

Now that I've given up Myspace, I'm actually talking with girls and getting their phone numbers.

.. example of how my personality has opened up to be much more friendly and less abrasive in the past few weeks.

If I am to be an example of Christ to the world, I cannot spend all my time tied to a computer instead of talking with real people.

The reason why I post this thread is because I recommend that anyone who belongs to this forum should give up Myspace also. If you do not currently own a Myspace account, you are already blessed.

Okay.

And then ...

I started a Xanga to replace my Myspace, and I will be linking to it on my Myspace profile. However, I will not be posting on it until after Lent:
www.xanga.com/fosteringfreethought

Peace.

Dude! Take a Logic class!

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2006, 12:08:19 AM »

Dude! Take a Logic class!

I'm not posting on Xanga until after Lent is over. Furthermore, I will never use as much time on it as I did on Myspace... Xanga doesn't seem designed for maximum addictiveness...

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2006, 12:55:32 AM »

I've always heard that the show was called Hannity & Colmes
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2006, 01:02:52 AM »

By the way, I already took Logic and earned a B in it. Smiley

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2006, 01:04:11 AM »

Apocalypse time, Tom and I agree again...

Just as an informal poll, who here cares that Matthew is no longer on myspace and will now be using Xanga? ÂÂ
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2006, 01:07:52 AM »

It isn't about me. As I've said before, the point is that you boycott Myspace.

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2006, 02:04:41 AM »

The only justification that you have offered is that myspace is connected to a news agency whose politics are not your own.  Now if you had said blogging is simply a giant waste of time and really are the epitome of narcissism - hence all blogs are best avoided that would have made some sense.  Instead you pointed out the lack of social life you actually have (which I don't think many here were shocked at this latest revelation) and whined about Fox.  Take some responsibility for your life - oh wait that is the message of those evil capitalist Republicans...
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2006, 02:32:01 AM »

I do have a social life but my usage of Myspace prevented me from using my time wisely. Besides Murdock's questionable news service (something I should have an opinion on as a future journalist), Myspace is worth boycotting simply because it's used by so many emo kids and is for many just an excuse to show half-naked pictures of themselves over the internet.
Blogging can be a good thing but Myspace isn't the best place to do it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 02:34:08 AM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2006, 08:29:56 PM »

Upon discovering that Xanga is primarily used by middle schoolers, I started a blog instead...

www.fosteringfreethought.blogspot.com

No matter what, I need an easy way to post my articles online.

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2006, 12:34:12 AM »

Several times, I have attemped to delete my Myspace profile. However, the promised confirmation email never arrives.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Mo the Ethio
Proud Capitalist
Elder

Faith: Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2006, 02:31:07 AM »

[quote author=Νεκτάριος link=topic=8391.msg110774#msg110774 date=1141970681]
- oh wait that is the message of those evil capitalist Republicans...
[/quote]
  I am laughin myself to death right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!  GO NEK !! GO NEK !! GO NEK!!

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
- John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2006, 06:10:25 AM »

I think people should boycott certain threads here at oc.net.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: