OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 05:46:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The 40 days after departure  (Read 4413 times) Average Rating: 0
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« on: March 15, 2006, 07:35:00 PM »

Hi guys,

I used to think this was just an "Egyptian" thing, but my father had a discussion with a Yugoslavian Orthodox Christian who has the same tradition.

After someone passes away, we hold a service for them on the 40th day (other than the funeral).  I heard HH Pope Shenouda got rid of it so on grounds that this was only a "Pharaonic" tradition and not an Orthodox one.

I was wondering if other Orthodox Churches (both OO and EO) as well as the RC's do the same?  We also hold a service on the third day (I don't know why), but on a side note, do you do the same as well?

God bless.

Mina

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 07:59:17 PM »

The Eastern Orthodox do that on the same days as the Copts because it's a pious Orthodox belief that around the third day after death the soul starts its particular judgement (a kind of 'performance review' where you get all your good and bad deeds read out to you), which ends around the 40th day.

Russian folklore calls the form of that judgement the aerial toll-houses.

Before the third day, again pious belief says something (source: Fr Seraphim (Rose), The Soul After Death), IIRC that the soul may 'haunt' places on earth familiar to him or her while alive. And/or the soul may hang around in the same invisible (to us) dimension where the particular judgement will happen.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 08:02:36 PM by The young fogey » Logged

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 08:18:06 PM »

Russian folklore calls the form of that judgement the aerial toll-houses.

Sorry but its not just a Russian folk custom - St. Basil the New was Greek.  
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 10:54:32 PM »

Wow...interesting.

Thank you for that.

God bless.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 12:36:23 AM »

The service is also done for the psychological/emotional well-being of the family. Aroudn the 40th day after a death, thats when the family members begin to really miss their presence- thats what a priest told me.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 09:03:51 AM »

You see in the traditional Orthodox cultures something similar to the Jewish ones - a series of services that in part help the grieving family with their loss by bringin the community to them to help with the process.  That's why in many Orthodox cultures the Memorial (different than the Trisagion) can be done at 3 days, 7, 14, 30, 90, 6 month, 1 year.  This gradual cycle of remembrance allows the family to slowly progress through their grief, and allows community support for the process.  That's why the Jewish and Orthodox grieving processes are viewed as highly effective, even within psychology communities (I was getting this from my secular psych profs in college).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 10:20:55 AM »

7, 14, 90, and 6 months I don't believe we have, but we do have annual remembrances (yes, that's right, every year).

God bless.

Mina

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 01:03:02 PM »

The Indian Church has the same practice.  

Still posting.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: