OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 03:38:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the Crossing Wave game  (Read 3256 times) Average Rating: 0
Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« on: December 30, 2005, 11:33:30 AM »

I just heard about this recently. For anyone else out there who hasn't heard of it, this is what it is. During the service, someone randomly crosses him/herself to see if the people around you will follow. If they do, and then the people next to them do also, you have a "Crossing Wave" going.

I was a little surprised that someone would be irreverant enough to play games like this during Divine Liturgy. It did make me more aware of doing what I was doing, since I have a habit of following the lead of this one guy, who seems to be so confident.

I'm wondering, just how common is this? Am I the only one who hadn't heard of it? Or is this just some isolated game with those heretics up in Seattle? (love you Zebu!)
Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 11:51:10 AM »

Which parish (OCA, Greek, Coptic, Antiochian) did you see this in?

Generally most people know when to cross themselves. Whyenever you hear anything relating to Trinity, God, the Panagia, or the saint of the day. Playing any sort of game is very irreverant during Liturgy unless ur like 2 years old.
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 12:09:05 PM »

Generally most people know when to cross themselves. Whyenever you hear anything relating to Trinity, God, the Panagia, or the saint of the day. Playing any sort of game is very irreverant during Liturgy unless ur like 2 years old.

And watch the priest (and deacon).  When he crosses himself we should do likewise.

JoeS
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 12:13:36 PM »

I can imagine that someone would do that - some sort of know-it-all or smartass would probably take the opportunity.

Now, I have noticed that sometimes people don't know that they are supposed to cross themselves, and when they see someone like the Psalti do it at the right time, they "catch up" - but there's no malicious or playful intent there.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
BJohnD

St. John of Damascus, pray for us.

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 12:54:33 PM »

I can easily imagine teens playing at this.   Roll Eyes

Certainly, the simple human tendency to follow another's lead applies to crossing oneself.  As a catechumen and new convert, I looked to one of the parish matriarchs for this.  As a result, cross myself a lot during the Liturgy.  And now I notice that those standing near me on Sunday mornings will tend to do likewise.  It's just human nature.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 01:44:27 PM »

Well, your case was different, since you were looking to others to acclimate yourself to the Faith.  But you're right, I can see teens playing the game, if they're that bored and into the service, that is.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 03:06:40 PM »

And watch the priest (and deacon).ÂÂ  When he crosses himself we should do likewise.

However, I do know of one Priest, who, when he notices people are crossing themselves when he crosses himself, will make the sign of the cross a couple times over the course of a minute or two, and then when he thinks he's got them following him for sure he will put his hand up as if to cross himself, but actually just scratch his forehead...at which point he gets to see everyone who had been following him try to recover...he insists it's quite entertaining and works best when he's serving as the second priest...LOL.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
BJohnD

St. John of Damascus, pray for us.

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 03:11:56 PM »

Lol.  Er, I mean, how terrible!  Wink 

Actually, it seems to me that many priests cross themselves far less often than do many members of the laity.  Doesn't bother me, mind -- I'm just the sort of fellow whose mind wanders enough during Liturgy to notice that sort of thing.
Marat
Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 03:48:39 PM »

Well, I go to a GOA parish, but this was told to me by someone who attends one in the OCA.
Marat
Elder

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 03:50:38 PM »

However, I do know of one Priest, who, when he notices people are crossing themselves when he crosses himself, will make the sign of the cross a couple times over the course of a minute or two, and then when he thinks he's got them following him for sure he will put his hand up as if to cross himself, but actually just scratch his forehead...at which point he gets to see everyone who had been following him try to recover...he insists it's quite entertaining and works best when he's serving as the second priest...LOL.

Oh wow.. the priest is playing it. I didn't see that one coming. I can see some humor in it. I'm just new and trying to learn everything and not liking the idea of being the victim of pranks.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2005, 08:31:05 PM »

I think there is some virtue in the fact that people don't wish to "stand out" by not crossing themselves when others do.
In the Greek Orthodox custom, we cross cross ourselves at the mention of the Persons of the Holy Trinity, the Theotokos and the Saints and also when the power of the Cross is mentioned (as in the dismissal etc.). When Synaxarion is read, we cross ourselves as each Saint is mentioned, and the custom has developed that if we are sitting when the priest prays in the Litany "Commemorating our most holy, pure, blessed and glorious Lady....", we stand and cross ourselves. We also Cross ourselves when the troparia of the Feast and the Temple are chanted.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
zebu
Mot à ta mère!
Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

aimovoroi tourkoi!

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2005, 09:13:07 PM »

Hey now...just because I told you about it doesn't mean I play it! Actually I am not sure if I have ever seen anyone doing it, I've just heard people talk about doing it...though early on I would have sworn they were all just randomly making it up on when to cross yourself!

Жизнь прожить не поле перейти
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 11:29:46 AM »

This seems like something I would have played in my early highschool years (oh so long ago), but now seems irreverent.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Armando
Dead among the living

I gave up dreaming a long time ago...

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006, 12:53:59 PM »

Sounds like fun. I think that after 6 months of absence it is time to return to my orthodox parish and
play a bit of Crossing wave game!!!!  Grin Grin Grin
No offence to the Divine Liturgy but:
A) I am onlyh 16. If I don't make fun out of divine liturgies, I don't know when will I!?!
B) Our orthodox parish is filled with old ladies that LOVE making the sign of the cross as soon as
they get a chance. Why not give them that chance?!?
C) Did I mention I am 16 and this game sounds like fun?

Ten years have passed, the girl I loved
is now a woman, but I am still a child...
-Sad-ending fairytale, Miltos Paschalidis
Meekle
Elder

Meekle of Rohan, Dunadan Bard of the Riddermark

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2006, 09:08:43 PM »

Is it possible to do the sign of the Cross too much? Even if done as a game, it can still help you.
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2006, 09:16:14 PM »

That reminds me of this one time (while I was still Anglican) when I was serving at the altar.  The priest's glasses were slipping a little, so he moved one of his hands to reposition them while saying one of the prayers over the altar.  Almost in unison, nearly the entire parish started to make the sign of the cross, including most of the altar party.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2006, 10:52:18 PM »

Is it possible to do the sign of the Cross too much? Even if done as a game, it can still help you.

Needless to say that any time one crosses themself that it should be done with great reverance.

JoeS
Marat
Elder

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2006, 09:00:28 PM »

Sounds like fun. I think that after 6 months of absence it is time to return to my orthodox parish and
play a bit of Crossing wave game!!!!  Grin Grin Grin
A) I am onlyh 16. If I don't make fun out of divine liturgies, I don't know when will I!?!
B) Our orthodox parish is filled with old ladies that LOVE making the sign of the cross as soon as

Silly boy. I didn't mean to provide people with games to play. But, I must admit, when I was sixteen we did stuff in church. I attended an Assembly of God church then with my family. We would clap loudly and offbeat to amuse ourselves, as well as mimic people speaking in tongues. I've seen kids yawn in tongues, sneeze in tongues, burp in tongues. I laughed at the time, and participated some too. I'd never do it now though. You are only 16 once. Have a little fun, just watch for the lightning bolts.
zebu
Mot à ta mère!
Elder

aimovoroi tourkoi!

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2006, 11:08:20 PM »

We never got to have fun like that in the Episcopal Church...wait...no... we didn't.  We had a no-nonsesne priest from England when I was growing up.  Once when I was aroun 9 or 10 I was acolyting, I messed up the bells(I rang three times for each of the three places, instead of 1-3-3), and he got mad at me afterwards and made me do it "the right way" like a zillion times....

play a bit of Crossing wave game!!!!ÂÂ  Grin Grin Grin
LOL, yes! And to make it even more fancy and therefore, fun, we can call it our "yia yia ministry". Yes...that's it....

Жизнь прожить не поле перейти
Kaminetz

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2006, 01:18:10 AM »

I remember it was a way of teasing inexperienced altar boys, one senior would randomly cross himself during the middle of a prayer and watch if the newbie would follow him. I remember one particular newbie had a strange way of crossing himself, he did it twice and the first time he'd do it right, the second time he would omit the forehead and go straight from the shoulder to the stomach. We were young and stupid back then...

Speaking of silly things in church I remember once in a summer camp they bought a bunch of young kids (7-10 yrs old) to vigil, they all sat down by the belfry (we had an outdoor church). The reading had already begun and other people were filing in.

Suddenly one of the kids looked up at the bell and started singing aloud "Jingle bells, jingle bells...". He was joined in by his friends and a whole kiddie chorus began singing "Jingle bells". They almost managed to get through the first stanza when the priest stuck his head out of the altar and screamed "Hey, have you forgotten where you are?"

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2006, 02:53:20 AM »

Silly boy. I didn't mean to provide people with games to play. But, I must admit, when I was sixteen we did stuff in church. I attended an Assembly of God church then with my family. We would clap loudly and offbeat to amuse ourselves, as well as mimic people speaking in tongues. I've seen kids yawn in tongues, sneeze in tongues, burp in tongues. I laughed at the time, and participated some too. I'd never do it now though. You are only 16 once. Have a little fun, just watch for the lightning bolts.

Just don't put any popcorn in the censer. Shocked Shocked  Cheesy
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: