OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 07:42:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: They came and got me!  (Read 2995 times) Average Rating: 0
Michael

« on: February 18, 2006, 05:47:29 AM »

Just a fleeting post as I'm ruishing to get ready, but I thought I'd thank all of you here for what I have been able to learn about our Faith from these boards and to ask for your prayers as I am to be baptised and chrismated this weekend: the Sunday of the Prodigal Son, aptly.

I'm making a personal pilgrimage to the tomb mof St Bettolin today, and taking some water from the well on the site to be added to the baptismal water. then I'm going to church to make my confession and stay at Fr Paul's house (Church is 35 miles from home, which may sound nothing to the American ear but is a long distance in Britain  Wink).  I'm to be baptised and chrismated on Sunday morning.

Many thanks for your prayers.
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 06:19:12 AM »

Michael, 
     What a wonderful and blessed weekend this will be for you.  Many congratulations!
prayers for you,   Juliana
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 06:49:51 AM »

God be with you! Please remember me in your first prayers as a newly illumined Orthodox Christian!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Thomas
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 08:06:28 AM »

Many Years!

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Meekle
Elder

Meekle of Rohan, Dunadan Bard of the Riddermark

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 08:14:45 AM »

Congratulations!  Smiley
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 09:48:52 AM »

¡Muchos años, hermano!

Many years, brother!

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 10:07:05 AM »

Congratulations!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
irene

OC.net

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006, 10:49:02 AM »

Congratulations, Michael, what a weekend this is for you! Smiley...I'm up in the clouds just thinking how happy you must be! Smiley
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 10:50:26 AM by irene » Logged
QuoVadis

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 04:41:00 AM »

Wonderful!  Many Years!  Do let us know how it went when you're able!

"Without sorrows there is no salvation. On the other hand, the Kingdom of God awaits those who have patiently endured. And all the glory of the world is nothing in comparison." - St Seraphim of Sarov
Hadel
IN CHRIST
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Jerusalem

Jesus Christ Our Lord, King of Kings

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 11:40:46 AM »

Congrats and God Bless!

In Christ,
Hadel

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2006, 10:20:31 PM »

Многая літа

Michael

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 11:21:10 AM »

Thank you so very much, everybody for your prayers and well wishes.  Be assured of mine as well.

The weekend was amazing.  On Saturday morning, my housemate and I made a pilgrimage to the Shrine of St Bertolin (Bertram) in the Church of the Holy Cross in Ilam, Staffordshire.  The sun was shining and the weather was ideal.  We sang these prayers in honour of the Saint:

When, in search of food in the forest, O righteous Bertram, thou didst leave thy wife and child behind, they were set upon by savage wolves and cruelly ravaged and slain; wherefore, overcome with grief at thy great loss, thou didst dedicate thy life to Christ, Who as the Chief Shepherd driveth away from us the spiritual wolf.

Giving thyself wholly over to ascetic feats, thou didst dwell as a hermit by Ilam's river, O Bertram, and like the tree planted by the streams of water thou didst bring forth spiritual fruit; wherefore, all thy struggles truly prospered, and Christ, Who loveth mankind, hath transplanted thee to His garden in paradise.

Forty days before His crucifixion Christ our Redeemer was transfigured in glory on Mount Tabor; and Bertram, His chosen servant, was laid to rest, as is meet, in the Church of the Holy Cross of Christ, where his sacred shrine shineth with the uncreated light of the divine grace of Jesus, the Saviour of our souls.

O village of Ilam, not least among the habitations of England art thou, for thy bosom long sheltered the sacred relics of the holy Bertram, who with boldness offereth entreaties for us before the throne of God Most High. And amid the darkness of our age his shrine shineth forth spiritually, like a lamp full of the oil of loving-kindness, guiding the faithful along the path of righteousness, that they may reach the kingdom on high, avoiding the snares of the enemy.

Rejoice with humble Ilam, O city of Stafford, for the sacred relics of the wondrous Bertram were transferred unto thee and placed in thy midst, like as a precious stone is set in a jewel shining with beauty and lustre, to delight the eyes of those who behold it. And let all England likewise exult, for the prayers of the Saint are ever made in its behalf, to deliver it from all tribulation and affliction, and from the malice of its every foe. Wherefore, let all Christians be glad, for by the grace of the Lord we truly find safe shelter beneath the wings of his holy supplications.

The shrine, which is in one of the most beautiful parts of Britain, has been a place of pilgrimage since Saxon times, and the Church still has many Saxon features, such as the font (which I foolishly didn't take a photograph of), and this sealed doorway.  Also, in the churchyard are the bases of two Saxon Crosses.

St Bertolin's well is nearby but is within the grounds of Ilam Hall, (next-door to the church), which sadly, due to its historic significance, is under the control of the National Trust.  Consequently, there is a wall around it and the gateway is all barred up.  I'm guessing it's to do with Health and Safety and to avoid lawsuits.  However, my mission was to bring back some water to add to the baptismal font, so I wasn't about to let the National Trust stop me, so I climbed over the wall and filled a bottle with some of the water, which was duly added to the font next day along with some water from the River Jordan which our convent in the Holy Land sends to us each year.

I then went straight from there to Fr Paul's house, where my fellow catechumen and I had something to eat and then said Vespers and made our confessions.

In the morning, the back garden was covered in frost, and so we decided to add some warm water to the font.  We were baptised in the usual Orthodox manner - by triple-immersion in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.  I breathed in the wrong place and then ended up with oil in my eyes, but I got there in the end.  We then moved indoors to the threefold singing of Psalm 31 (Blessed are those whose sins are forgiven...&c), and then got dried off and donned our white robes.  Fr Paul blessed our Crosses and placed them on us and then we were chrismated.

We made our first communions during the Liturgy, which was fabulous!  Everybody sang at the tops of their voices in four-part harmony, and the sound and overflowing joy was inescapable.  We were tonsured at the end of the Liturgy, in the form of a Cross, and then food was had by all.

Sadly, my camera's memory became full quite soon and so I dont have many photographs of the day, but many other people took photos which they will send me and my best friend, who had his camera phone, attempted to photograph the baptism itself, only to discover that he had it on video mode.  The accidental result is a wonderful video clip (with audio) of my baptism, which I hope to add to my webspace in due course.

All in all, it was a truly wonderful day and I'm still on a high.  Many presents have come from all over, for which I am very, very grateful.

I can't believe I'm finally Orthodox!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 11:46:59 AM by Michael » Logged
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 11:47:45 AM »

¡Gloria a Jesucristo!  Congratulations, man!  Welcome to the family of God!

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Thomas
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2006, 05:28:22 PM »

Congratulations!  Welcome Home!

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
annaspencer

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2006, 04:56:52 PM »

What a wonderful day! Congratulations! Smiley
Michael

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2006, 03:36:09 PM »

Thank you, all!

(Good to see you're still around, annaspencer - I passed your greetings on to you know who.  Smiley)

The links no longer work as my webspace has changed servers, but I can probably post some new links if anyone missed them and is interested.  As for the video clip, it will arrive in due course - as soon as my friend gets back online. Having just moved house, he hasn;t got connected to the internet yet and so hasn't been able to send it to me. Sad

M x
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: