OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 10:33:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ascetic, Hasidic... oy!  (Read 1271 times) Average Rating: 0
The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« on: March 05, 2006, 09:03:29 PM »

Has anyone else noticed that on the Orthodox church calendars often found in the eastern US (printed by Vestal in New Jersey) the Saturday of Cheesefare Week, the day of the ascetic fathers (monks) in the liturgical books, is called the day of the holy Hasidic fathers?

Well, both are Judæo-Christian, Eastern European, bearded, mystical and have a charismatic tradition of eldership that’s passed down (in fact some claim the Hasidim got the idea of a rebbe from the Russian Orthodox старец).

But Drake Adams believes it’s not a typo but Hanukkah carried over into this Christian calendar. Perhaps it commemorates both the last legitimate Temple priests and early Greek and other Christian monks.

Dreidel, dreidel, dreidel, I made you out of clay...
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 09:05:00 PM by The young fogey » Logged

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 10:09:57 PM »

That's hilarious, Serge! I've never noticed that.  I will be sure to scan all future calendars for this hehe.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 07:17:00 AM »

I noticed this too!  Shocked Has anyone told the calendar makers or for that matter the funeral homes that supply the calendars.

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 09:18:47 AM »

Has anyone else noticed that on the Orthodox church calendars often found in the eastern US (printed by Vestal in New Jersey) the Saturday of Cheesefare Week, the day of the ascetic fathers (monks) in the liturgical books, is called the day of the holy Hasidic fathers?

Well, both are Judæo-Christian, Eastern European, bearded, mystical and have a charismatic tradition of eldership that’s passed down (in fact some claim the Hasidim got the idea of a rebbe from the Russian Orthodox старец).

But Drake Adams believes it’s not a typo but Hanukkah carried over into this Christian calendar. Perhaps it commemorates both the last legitimate Temple priests and early Greek and other Christian monks.

Dreidel, dreidel, dreidel, I made you out of clay...

OY VEY! NESH KOFELA
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 07:54:19 PM »

I'm pretty sure that the Serbian ones don't have that...but i'm going to make sure...

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 07:58:35 PM »

So apparantly there are NO Serbs in the world that I know that have English translations of the calander.....this might take longer than I thought...sorry guys

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 08:40:13 PM »

The funny calendar from Vestal is in three languages in four orthographies: English, Slavonic in pre-1918 Russian Cyrillic, Slavonic in Latin letters with accents (the Ruthenian way - looks like Slovak) ... and Serbian. The title 'Holy Hasidic Fathers' is a secondary note for that day only in English.

serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 09:07:27 PM »

That's what I thought.  I was pretty sure which one you were talking about.  No one has it though...i'll keep searching.  Some serb's gotta have it...

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 03:40:31 PM »

Time to get rabbi tuckman in here with the sacramental wine for the celebration...

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: