OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 09:59:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reflections on the future of the Oriental Orthodox Communion  (Read 644 times) Average Rating: 0
theorthodoxchurch
georgy

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Syrian Church of the East (Indian Orthodox Church)

georgy

« on: June 28, 2014, 12:42:42 AM »

Reflections on the future of the Oriental Orthodox Communion
http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/2014/06/reflections-on-the-future-of-the-oriental-orthodox-communion/
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 01:01:22 AM »

The Coptic Pope, presently Pope Tawadros II, is considered to be the spiritual father of the OO Communion and is given primacy of honour among the OO Churches as a part of the homage paid to the Alexandrian Throne of St Mark the Evangelist. However, while the Coptic Pope does enjoy primacy of honour, he does not have any authority over sister churches.

Hey, now where have we heard something like this recently... Tongue

At the very least, Orthodox Christians should be aware of the names of the Patriarch/Catholicos of their sister OO churches.

Sadly I don't even know the names of all the EO primates myself. angel

However, it seems that some Orthodox ecumenists only have reunion with the Vatican in mind, dismissing completely what should be the priority. If you desert your own brethren, do not shake hands, nor smile at your own family, then what is the use of shaking hands with a stranger?

I thought this was aptly put, and applicable to some EO's who aim solely towards Rome and ignore the OO.

Why is it then that the Vatican has not responded to the numerous complaints made by the Indian Orthodox Church? Without a doubt, the Vatican is being two-faced. They express ‘love and ecumenism’ using the smile of the Pope to win hearts, and the pomp and glory of the RCC to woo the Orthodox ecumenists; yet at the same time the RCC supports the Eastern Catholics who attack the Orthodox Churches.

Cool

Overall an interesting read for someone that knows rather little of the internal affairs of the OO Communion.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 01:04:58 AM by Nephi » Logged
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 01:12:19 AM »

Overall an interesting read for someone that knows rather little of the internal affairs of the OO Communion.

In a number of ways, yes.  But in some other ways, it's just a lot of bloviating from someone reflecting a particular perspective which is not not even widely held in his own jurisdiction. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 01:22:40 AM »

In a number of ways, yes.  But in some other ways, it's just a lot of bloviating from someone reflecting a particular perspective which is not not even widely held in his own jurisdiction. 

Care to explain? I neither know the author, nor his jurisdiction, nor how his views match up. I just know bloviating can't be good, since it makes me think "bloviating buffoon."
CopticDeacon
Αναγνώστης(Reader) in the God-loving Diocese of New York and New England
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

St Pachom, Antoni, and Stephen Pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 03:48:43 PM »

http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/2014/06/reflections-on-the-future-of-the-oriental-orthodox-communion/

This is an awesome article that discusses our current situation and issues with schism. It briefly discusses the Addis Ababa Conference of 1965. Share your thoughts. I enjoyed reading it and I would love to be apart of the creation of a common platform for our Church(es). The need for that possible "es" is what needs to stop. We need to know our brothers and sisters and act as one family, because we are one family. Until the opportunity arises, I pray.

Thanks.

"I see the heavens opened up, and the Son of Man seated at the right hand of God"
-St. Stephen the Archdeacon and Protomartyr
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Warned
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 04:07:58 PM »

Thread merger?

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,59279.0.html

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
CopticDeacon
Αναγνώστης(Reader) in the God-loving Diocese of New York and New England
High Elder

St Pachom, Antoni, and Stephen Pray for us!

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 04:21:23 PM »

Oh dear. Just delete this one.

"I see the heavens opened up, and the Son of Man seated at the right hand of God"
-St. Stephen the Archdeacon and Protomartyr
Antonious Nikolas
Warned
Archon

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 04:53:15 PM »

In the main, I agree with the author's call for greater unity, increased dialogue, et cetera.  (Is the author also the OP in this thread?)  There are also a few points, however, on which I disagree.  For example, I find his rather harsh appraisal of the Roman Catholic churches deriving from the Malankara tradition on the one hand and his overly charitable assessment of the Protestant churches deriving from the same tradition on the other to be disingenuous and perhaps colored by his jurisdictional affiliation.   I believe it is a mistake to count the "Mar Thoma" church as a "church of Oriental Orthodox origin" while simultaneously characterizing the Malankara Catholic churches as usurpers or some sort of foreign threat. Both are the fruit of Western missionary efforts which tore apart the indigenous Oriental Orthodox community of Kerala, both teach heterodoxy, both have lead the Orthodox faithful astray, and both claim to be the true heirs of St. Thomas and his teaching while that title rightfully belongs to the Orthodox. If anything, the Protestant churches are further afield than the Catholics.  Protestant influence - particularly Evangelical and Charismatic "praise & worship" music, practices and literature - is one of the biggest threats facing our Oriental Orthodox Communion today, and Indian Orthodox youth who come home from activities with the "Mar Thoma" church thinking it is okay to make these things a part of our practice need to be protected against such through right teaching.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 04:53:40 PM by Antonious Nikolas » Logged

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Salpy
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 05:08:03 PM »

I can't delete it, but I can merge it.   Smiley

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 12:44:55 PM »

I thought this article by OCP was interesting:

Some of the main concerns of the article was how fragmented we are as an Oriental Orthodox communion, and not in unison with so many things.  I was taken by how much we are readily able to have dialogues with non-Orthodox, and we are not having dialogues within ourselves first, trying to bring the Malankara Orthodox and the Malankara Syrians together, as well as dialoguing with the Ethiopian Synod in Exile.  We also have quite a large number in the US.  We are on the verge of establishing a good basis and understanding of our respective traditions, and perhaps bring this to fruition to some sort of educative purpose for our next generation, like for example a pan-OO seminary.

I disagreed with the author however in his anger against the Malankara Catholic website while giving the Mar Thoma Church the benefit of having OO roots despite its Protestant beliefs.  Nonetheless, it's an article worth reading and considering, I think.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 01:00:51 PM »

Here in the UK there is very, very little interaction of OO Orthodox. If people do not visit each other's congregations then we have not even begun to experience unity.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
DavidI

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 01:10:11 PM »

I was taken by how much we are readily able to have dialogues with non-Orthodox, and we are not having dialogues within ourselves first, trying to bring the Malankara Orthodox and the Malankara Syrians together, as well as dialoguing with the Ethiopian Synod in Exile. 

Well here's some good news I hope: http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/2014/07/pope-tawadros-ii-expresses-interest-to-mediate-unity-between-syriac-and-indian-orthodox-churches-calls-for-peace-in-malankara/

His Holiness Tawadros II – Pope & Patriarch of Alexandria and Primate of the Coptic Orthodox Church has expressed his at most desire to mediate conciliar unity between the Syriac and Indian Orthodox Churches. Pope informed the same to Fr Dr K M George (Special envoy of  Baselios Paulose II- Catholicos of the East & Metropolitan of Malankara – Primate of the Indian Orthodox Malankara Church) in a meeting which was held in the month of May 2014.

Pope stated that there is an urgent need for conciliar unity and peace between the two ancient Orthodox Churches in India. Pope Tawadros and Fr K M George discussed on the details of the dispute between two churches.

Pope also said that he will initiate a discussion with His Holiness Mor Ignatius Aphrem II - Patriarch of Antioch and All East &  Supreme Head of the Universal Syriac Orthodox Church, on unity issues. Fr George conveyed the very cordial invitation of HH the Catholicos Paulose II to HH Tawadros to visit India and the ancient See of St Thomas. Pope replied that, he would be happy to do the same on an appropriate occasion.

Pope Tawadros II and the Catholicos Baselios Paulose II had previously met during the Papal enthronement ceremony at Cairo in 2012.

"A dog is better than I am, for he has love and he does not judge." - Abba Xanthios
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 05:13:11 PM »

I can't delete it, but I can merge it.   Smiley

LOL! My mistake...geez, I was looking for this. (Funny thing is, this is the second time you had to merge)

David! Yes, this does sound like good news.  May The Lord bring this to fruition.

Abouna Peter, bless!

How should one rectify this problem? Could one encourage a huge group in the congregation to frequently visit each other's parishes, and not merely an annual event?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 05:16:20 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Salpy
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 05:15:30 PM »

It must be quite an essay if three different people started threads on it.   Smiley

Antonious Nikolas
Warned
Archon

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 05:45:02 PM »

(Funny thing is, this is the second time you had to merge)

Nah, the funny thing is you and I each wrote almost exactly the same post without knowing what the other guy wrote.  Simpatico, baby!  Grin

Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 06:12:32 PM »

How should one rectify this problem? Could one encourage a huge group in the congregation to frequently visit each other's parishes, and not merely an annual event?

Could you guys possibly do semi-regular rotating pan-Orthodox Vespers or something? This is something I've seen done among local EO with Antiochians, Greeks, ROCOR, etc. attending and building ties nicely. Of course, by "rotating" I also mean rotating the Rite used (I'm assuming they're different) as well as the host parish.
Antonious Nikolas
Warned
Archon

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2014, 07:10:06 PM »

Could you guys possibly do semi-regular rotating pan-Orthodox Vespers or something? This is something I've seen done among local EO with Antiochians, Greeks, ROCOR, etc. attending and building ties nicely. Of course, by "rotating" I also mean rotating the Rite used (I'm assuming they're different) as well as the host parish.

We're starting...

http://www.scooch.org/2013/07/oriental-orthodox-unity-sharing-one-anothers-feast-days-and-special-events/

http://www.scooch.org/2013/06/oriental-orthodox-youth-conference-recap/

http://www.scooch.org/2013/04/philadelphia-regional-concelebrated-liturgy/

http://www.scooch.org/2013/10/annual-oriental-orthodox-concelebrated-liturgy-hosted-by-syriac-orthodox-church/

http://www.scooch.org/2014/04/oriental-orthodox-christians-gather-in-philadelphia-for-second-annual-regional-concelebrated-liturgy/

And those who are sincerely interested can register for our latest joint event:

http://www.scooch.org/ministry/

Tags: Oriental Orthodox  coptic  Syrian  Indian  Armenian  Ethiopian   Eritrean 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: