Author Topic: Communion worthiness  (Read 592 times)

Offline mikeforjesus

• OC.net guru
Communion worthiness
« on: September 05, 2015, 08:27:11 AM »
http://www.copticchurch.net/topics/thecopticchurch/sacraments/4_eucharist.html

The below quote is from the website above

"If anyone comes to church late, that is, after the Bible reading, they have no right in partaking of the Holy Communion.  The Bible reading and the Prayer of the Mass are performed before Holy Communion in order to sanctify the soul and body, and provide spiritual and mental preparation for partaking of the Holy Communion."

What if I read the bible readings at home but miss the sermon ? What is the prayer of the mass ?
I am asking because what if I wanted to take communion in a Arabic mass but I will only understand the sermon partially because I only know basic Arabic

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
Re: Communion worthiness
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 08:31:14 AM »
Mike, this is a question you should ask your priest. Ask him on Sunday.  :)
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 09:51:36 AM »
LBK is right.
The Medicine we take is your focus and thank God for that.
Being prepared to take it does help more than I can say.
A priest will clarify.,
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline mikeforjesus

• OC.net guru
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 09:53:08 AM »
Thanks LBK and LenIsSebastopol

Ok I will talk to my priest if he prays in the English mass tommorow and if I can get a hold of him he may have some important things to do
I doubt he will say no to having it in Arabic mass because the Eucharist is food for the spirit
But he has said once in a sermon that the more prepared you are to have communion the greater the merit and blessing but you should always have it but he was talking in relation to not fasting before communion if you are weak but it may apply here also
But that site said I have no right for communion if I come to late for the prayer of the mass it may have said the same regarding not fasting 9 hours which sometimes I don't fast and still take communion I don't push myself beyond my ability I am more concerned about this rule of not coming late because I think the site may not have been as strict on the fasting rule but maybe it was
But I want the most benefit from communion
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 09:53:44 AM by mikeforjesus »

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 10:57:27 AM »
All fasting issues and communion issues are best talked over with your priest.
I was given a blessing by my priest to have a sip of coffee on the day of Communion as we do not Receive until about 11:30AM and not have anything at all until about 12:30.  By Communion time I would be wasted with a headache and would not receive the benefit of Communion as much as possible, just as your priest told you.
Talk with him and see.
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 11:15:27 AM »
Mike,

I have an app, "Coptic Reader", that has the readings for the day.  Whenever the readings or the gospel is in Arabic, I follow along using the app.

As for the sermon, if you understand basic Arabic, take in whatever you can.  If you're unable to understand any further, pray.  As long as you make the effort to be in the Church for the readings and you regularly see your spiritual father, you should take communion.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 11:16:12 AM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.