OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 04:10:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Everything just plain sucks.  (Read 799 times) Average Rating: 0
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« on: October 25, 2014, 07:19:53 PM »

Frankly, there isn't much to look forward to in my life right now (job opportunities, future careers, stable income, church attendance, stable interpersonal relationships etc.), and there's not all that much I can do about it. I have been dealing with it, but I figured I'd ask for prayers anyway. I hope I can get my life on the right track soon, I'm starting to get worried.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 07:21:27 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
eddybear

Faith: Anglican, officially anyway
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Exeter, UK

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 07:38:27 PM »

Praying for you.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 07:43:39 PM »

Lord have mercy.
Hamartolos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 08:22:40 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Formerly known as "mctavix"
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 08:31:45 PM »

May the Lord strengthen and guide you.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 08:54:29 PM »

Lord have mercy.
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 08:55:56 PM »

Lord, have mercy!
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 09:12:35 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

Rhinosaur
Homo Vivius

Faith: Roman Catholic (Orthodox Inquirer)

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 09:14:54 PM »

Lord have mercy.
littlepilgrim64
High Elder

Faith: Pre-catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 09:21:40 PM »

Have mercy, Lord, on xOrthodox4Christx!
Sam G
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: ROCOR (Old Rite)

All ye Saints, pray to God for me a sinner.

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 09:23:27 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

All of my hope, I place in thee, O Mother of God; do preserve me under they shelter.
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian

St. Photini

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 09:24:30 PM »

Lord have mercy!

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
marigold
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 11:06:58 PM »

Lord, have mercy.
Maximum Bob
Archon

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 09:42:32 PM »

Lord, have mercy on xOrthodox4Christx.

Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.
Don Brigante

Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 11:21:10 PM »

Lord, have mercy on our brother.

You have anxieties about your life… Pray fervently to the Lord from your heart in this way: “I place my fate in Thy hands, O my Saviour. In the way that Thou knowest, arrange my life as is best. From now on I cut off every care about myself, having but one care, to do what is pleasing before Thee.” Speak to God in this way, and by doing so you will already have placed yourself completely in His hands, not being concerned about anything, but calmly accepting every sort of situation, pleasant or unpleasant, as being arranged for you purposely by God. Your only concern should be to act according to God’s commandments in everything. This is all that is required of you.
- Saint Theophan the Recluse

O Lord, I do not know what to ask of You. You alone know what are my true needs. You love me more than I myself know how to love. Help me to see my real needs which are concealed from me. I do not dare to ask either for a cross or for consolation. I can only wait on You. My heart is open to You. Visit and help me, for the sake of Your great mercy. Strike me and heal me; cast me down and raise me up. I worship in silence Your holy will and Your unsearchable ways. I offer myself as a sacrifice to You. I have no other desire than to fulfill Your will. Teach me to pray. Pray You Yourself in me. Amen.
- Prayer of Metropolitan Philaret of Moscow

"Pray no matter what – everyday. The more we stress, usually the less we pray because of time constraints. But St. Basil tells us we should do the opposite – we should pray more when we are busy and stressed!

Confession can help relieve the stress and anxiety of sin. “I confess my iniquity; I am full of anxiety because of my sin” (Ps. 38:18). When we sin, we add more weight to our lives and Confession helps lift that weight and allows us to move on, knowing we are forgiven.

“Anxiety in a man’s heart weighs it down, but a good word makes it glad” (Prov 12:25). When you’re stressed, take a break and phone a friend to give you a “good word.”

We need to give all of our stress to God, trusting that He will take care of us. Let’s use our energy to do positive things, like praying or serving others, rather than worrying which does not benefit anyone, like Jesus says.

Read the Bible daily. The words of Scripture remind us of God's love and care for us, which brings us peace and rids us of useless anxiety.

Keep a list of reasons to thank God and ways He has answered your prayers. This will remind you that God hears us, answers prayers, and gives us many blessings".

http://www.goarch.org/archdiocese/departments/youth/youthworkers/sessions/stress

Brethren, let us also occupy yourselves with noetic prayer…, and seeking God’s mercy, cry out with a humble heart from morning till night and if possible all night long, saying constantly: “Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on us.” Saint John Chrysostom
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

This is where I choose to tread

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2014, 11:22:37 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Keep your support structure during your struggles.

I've found that going on walks is helpful when I feel despondent. Just moving around and getting some fresh air can do wonders to the soul.

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2014, 11:25:11 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

It will get better.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Don Brigante

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2014, 11:39:00 PM »

Repeat out loud: “Glory to God for all things! Glory to God!” Do it as often as possible, in all circumstances, in everything and for everything. This thanksgiving is rooted in the firm conviction of God’s merciful providence and care in all things, in the steadfast faith that “God works in everything for good with those who love Him” or, as the passage may also be rendered, “everything works together for good with those who love God.” (Romans 8:28).

The spiritual teachers, especially Saint John Chrysostom (4th c), are very strict in this teaching. The spiritual man does not thank God only for what he considers to be good. Rather, he thanks God for everything, even for what appears to be bad, knowing that God’s tender care is over all, and that the evil in this world - which is always present and inevitable (Cf. John 17) - can itself be the vehicle for spiritual growth and salvation if rightly understood and overcome by the grace of God.

To thank God in everything and for everything is the result of faith and faithfulness in God. It is the result of absolute trust in the Lord who knows best what we need for our salvation and does all that He can within the evil conditions of the world to bring us to eternal life, to peace and to joy. It is the product of believing, with Isaiah, the Word of the Redeemer who says:

For a brief moment I forsook you, but with great compassion I will gather you. In overflowing wrath for a moment I hid my face from you, but with everlasting love will I have compassion on you.

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither your ways my ways, says the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts…

And you shall go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and the hills before you shall break forth into singing…

Keep justice and do righteousness, for soon my salvation will come… (Isaiah 54:7-8, 55:8-9, 56:1)

http://oca.org/orthodoxy/the-orthodox-faith/spirituality/the-virtues/gratitude

Do not forsake prayer, for just as the body becomes weak when it is deprived of food, so also the soul when it is deprived of prayer draws nigh to weakness and noetic death.
(St. Gennadius of Constantinople, The Golden Chain, 44)

Consistently pray in all things, so that you might not do anything without the help of God ... Whoever does or busies himself with anything without prayer does not succeed in the end. Concerning this, the Lord said: "Without Me you can't do anything". (John 15:5)

In times of affliction, unceasingly call out to the merciful God in prayer. The unceasing invocation of the name of God in prayer is a treatment for the soul which kills not only the passions, but even their very operation. As a doctor finds the necessary medicine, and it works in such a way that the sick person does not understand, in just the same way the name of God, when you call upon it, kills all the passions, although we don't know how this happens.(St. Barsanuphius the Great, Instructions, 421)

Give your intentions in prayer to God, Who knows everyone, even before our birth. And do not ask that everything will be according to your will, because a man does not know what is profitable for him. But say to God: Let Thy will be done! For He does everything for our benefit.(St. Gennadius of Constantinople, The Golden Chain, 47)

The spiritual person is the one who is grateful for everything. He is the one who receives everything with thanksgiving, and who knows that he has nothing except what he has received from God. (Cf. John 3:27)

It is impossible to draw near to God without sorrows, without which human righteousness cannot remain unchanged... If you desire virtue, than give yourself to every affliction, for afflictions produce humility. If someone abides in virtue without afflictions, the door of pride is opened to him.(St. Isaac the Syrian, Homilies, 34)

God tested Abraham. That is, he sent him afflictions for his benefit, not so that he could find out what sort of man he was, for God knows everything, but so that He give him the means to perfect his faith.
(St. Mark the Ascetic, Homilies, 2.203)

Without temptations, it is not possible to learn the wisdom of the Spirit. It is not possible that Divine love be strengthened in your soul. Before temptations, a man prays to God as a stranger. When temptations are allowed to come by the love of God, and he does not give in to them, then he stands before God as a sincere friend. For in fulfilling the will of God, he has made war on the enemy of God and conquered him.(St. Isaac the Syrian, Homilies, 5)

Conquer temptations by the patience and prayer. If you oppose them without these, you will fall all the more severely.
(St. Mark the Ascetic, Homilies, 2.106)

It is impossible to draw near to God without sorrows, without which human righteousness cannot remain unchanged... If you desire virtue, than give yourself to every affliction, for afflictions produce humility. If someone abides in virtue without afflictions, the door of pride is opened to him.(St. Isaac the Syrian, Homilies, 34)

When we bravely and quietly endure the afflictions sent to us, we participate a little, albeit not fully, in the sufferings of Christ.(St. Macarius of Optina, Letters, 473)

The righteous have no sorrows that are not turned into joy, as sinners have no joy that is not turned into sorrow.
(St. Dmitri of Rostov)

A certain monk asked one of the elders, "Why are my thoughts always inclined to defilement, so that they give me no rest even for an hour, and my soul is troubled?" The elder said to him, "If the demons inspire thoughts in you, do not give in to them." It is their nature to tempt constantly. And even though they never leave off this temptation, they cannot force you to sin. It depends on your will to listen to them or not to listen." The brother said to the elder, "What should I do? I am weak and the passion is conquering me." The elder answered, "Guard against them, and when they begin to speak to you, do not answer them, but pray to God: Son of God, have mercy on me!"
(Ancient Patericon, 5.35)

No matter what bitterness has befallen you, no matter what unpleasantness has happened to you, say, "I shall endure this for Jesus Christ!" and it will be easier for you. For the name of Jesus Christ is powerful. Through it all unpleasantness is calmed, and demons disappear. Your disappointments will also be calmed and you pusillanimity will be quited.(St. Anthony of Optina)

Understand two thoughts, and fear them. One says, "You are a saint," the other, "You won't be saved." Both of these thoughts are from the enemy, and there is no truth in them. But think this way: I am a great sinner, but the Lord is merciful. He loves people very much, and He will forgive my sins.(St. Silouan the Athonite, Writings, XVII.1)

God loves us more than a father, mother, friend, or any else could love, and even more than we are able to love ourselves.(St. John Chrysostom)

http://orthodox.cn/patristics/300sayings_en.htm

"Just as our Lord is solicitous about our salvation, so too the murderer of men, the devil, strives to lead a man into despair ... Judas the betrayer was fainthearted and unskilled in battle, and so the enemy, seeing his despair, attacked him and forced him to hang himself; but Peter, a firm rock, when he fell into great sin, like one skilled in battle did not despair nor lose heart, but shed bitter tears from a burning heart, and the enemy, seeing these tears, his eyes scorched as by fire, fled far from him wailing in pain." St. Seraphim of Sarov (Spiritual Instructions no. 14, Little Russian Philokalia Vol. 1; St. Herman of Alaska Brotherhood pg. 34)

When we are in trouble or despair or have lost hope, we should do what David did: pour out our hearts to God and tell Him of our needs and troubles, just as they are (cf. Ps. 142:2). It is because He can deal with us wisely that we confess to God: He can make our troubles easy to bear, if this is for our benefit, and can save us from the dejection which destroys and corrupts. St. Hesychius the Priest, Philokalia, Vol. I.

Patient endurance kills the despair that kills the soul; it teaches the soul to take comfort and not to grow listless in the face of its many battles and afflictions. St. Peter of Damaskos (Book 2: Twenty-Four Discourses no. 5, The Philokalia Vol. 3 pg. 222)

http://www.orthodox.net/gleanings/despair.html

Ben Franklin once said: “Do not anticipate trouble or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.” Keep in the sunlight. And as Christians, don’t we know the source of the True Light? And don’t we know that we can learn to live in that Light?

This points us towards the solution to anxiety. We get ourselves tangled up when we are too concerned about what will happen in the future. We worry and obsess about problems that may never come. The solution to this is so simple, it can seem foolish. It lies in one of Jesus’s teachings from the Gospel of Matthew:

Do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. ... Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things.

...Like any healing, overcoming anxiety takes time. If you are anxious, be gentle with yourself. Settle in to yourself, find the person under all the hats, and try to see the light that God is shining on the next step you should take. This light is His presence. He is here for us. Trust that He is showing you what you need to do next, this very moment. Remember the words of Jesus Christ: “Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?” We must trust that God will be always be here for us. Trust, and we will find peace. Even more, we will find the Prince of Peace.

http://www.antiochian.org/node/20380

Brethren, let us also occupy yourselves with noetic prayer…, and seeking God’s mercy, cry out with a humble heart from morning till night and if possible all night long, saying constantly: “Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on us.” Saint John Chrysostom
Don Brigante

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 12:01:00 AM »

“Do not worry about your life, what you will eat; nor about the body, what you will put on. Life is more than food, and the body is more than clothing. Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap, which have neither storehouse nor barn; and God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds? And which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?"(Lk 12:22-25)
Here He is pointing out that our worries add next to nothing to our life, only "one cubit," the smallest of measure. He also points out that even the ravens or crows, considered to be unclean birds in his time and not fit for eating, are provided for by God. So why should we worry about our life?"

"Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.  If then God so clothes the grass, which today is in the field and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, how much more will He clothe you, O you of little faith?" (Lk 12:27-28)

Here Jesus equates our worries to not having sufficient faith. But the reality is, just as He provides for the lillies and the ravens, He surely will provide for us. But what are we to do when we are in difficulty and can't make our house payments or provide decent food for our family?

"For all these things the nations of the world seek after, and your Father knows that you need these things. But seek the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added to you" (Lk 12:30-31).

Jesus tells us not to rely on our thoughts but instead to concentrate on Him and His kingdom, "to seek the kingdom of God." It is in this way that we will be informed about how to care for ourselves without anxiety or fear. There is no need for worry when we have faith and God to guide us. As we lift our thoughts to Him, they are clarified, our needs minimized, and we area able to face the worst of situations without fear.

“Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble" (Matt 6:31-34).

Lesson: We must live in the present with our attention directed towards God, lifting our thoughts to a higher source.  This is what the Orthodox Way of Life helps us do. Pray, worship and participate in the sacraments, and be watchful.

http://orthodoxwayoflife.blogspot.com/2009/12/anxiety-in-mans-heart-weighs-him-down.html

In times of trials many become depressed and grumble. But we must understand that the Lord sometimes allows misfortune and suffering not because He has forgotten us or wishes to punish us. No! He allows them as bitter but necessary medicine, healing us from different passions like pride, light-headedness, self sufficiency, egotism and others. Remembering that, the great Saint John Chrysostom in the twilight of his days said, "Thank God for all, and especially for suffering!"

We shouldn't consider thanksgiving as just a duty toward God, but rather as something that should naturally flow from the bottom our heart. As the Sun does not need the sunflower, but rather the sunflower needs the Sun which warms it with its rays, so God does not need our thankfulness, but rather our soul needs God from Whom it receives its health and strength. On the other hand, by reminding ourselves to thank God, we help ourselves. Thanksgiving is similar to the sunflower turning its head toward the Sun. Indeed, when we remind ourselves how much God loves us, and how many are His material and spiritual blessings, these thoughts enlighten our reason and help us to see much clearer the purpose of our earthly existence. This allows us to differentiate between the important and the unimportant, what should be our primary goal and what should be kept in the background. In addition, thankfulness to God disperses despondency, decreases sadness, and returns to us courage and cheerfulness. We all would be much happier if we thanked God more often.

So let us remind ourselves daily, and especially on Sundays, to thank our Creator and Savior. This activity will be a marvelous medicine for our souls. As a guidance for thanksgiving the following psalms might be useful: 8, 34, 66, 92, 96, 97, 103, 104, 146, 148, 149 and 150. We also include here some thanksgiving prayers.

http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/thank.htm

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 12:10:28 AM »

Thread locked temporarily pending moderator review. Don Brigante, if you wish to pray, then please limit your prayer to a "Lord, have mercy," and maybe a couple brief words of counsel or comfort. Please don't use the Prayer Forum to preach to us with such long posts. There are other places on OC.net where such preaching is welcome; the Prayer Forum is not one of those places.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 12:20:25 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, although in my heart I will always remain a loving son of the UOC-USA

God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 08:49:25 PM »

Thread unlocked.  Yes, Don, please keep any responses in the Prayer Forum simple and to the point.

Yurysprudentsiya
Don Brigante

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2014, 10:37:03 PM »

PeterTheAleut, Yurysprudentsiya, I’m very sorry. Lord, have mercy.

Georgii
Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR, German Diocese

Holy Martyr Afra, pray to God for us!

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2014, 03:01:35 AM »

Lord have mercy.

my garment accuses me, for it is not a wedding garment
StGeorge
High Elder

St. George

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2014, 09:06:14 PM »

Lord have mercy!
militantsparrow
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

militantsparrow
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2014, 09:24:34 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

"Yeah, the sparrow hath found an house..." -Psalm 84:3
charbelkaleab
Most High Imperial Prince
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian

St John of Shanghai and San Francisco pray for us!

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2014, 06:40:52 AM »

Lord have mercy!

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: