OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 06:20:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I supposed to burn my Palm frond today?  (Read 1509 times) Average Rating: 0
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: February 27, 2006, 01:04:57 PM »

I added Greek and Russian holidays to my (MS-Outlook) calendar at work to get Pascha to show.  It is telling me that today is "Ash Monday" in Greece.  Is this correct?  I've never heard of an "Ash" day in Orthodoxy - just RCism.

Should I burn my palm frond (from last Palm Sunday) today?
Michael

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 05:09:01 PM »

Hi Elisha!

It depends on which Rite your church follows.

Ash Wednesday is not a specifically Roman Catholic peculiarity.  Ash Wednesday is the beginning of Lent in the Western Rite of Christianity, and, therefore, it is practised in the Latin Rite of the Roman Catholic Church, in many Anglican, Lutheran, Methodist &c. churches, and also in Orthodox churches and monasteries that use the Western Rite.

However, in the Eastern Rite, the beginning of Lent is not marked with an Ash day or ceremony as far as I am aware.

So regarding your question, yes Ash Wednesday does exist in Orthodoxy and yes you should be burning your palm frond but only if your church follows the Western Rite.  If you're Eastern Rite, then the answer is no to both questions.

I hope this helps.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 05:22:17 PM »

Hi Elisha!

It depends on which Rite your church follows.

Ash Wednesday is not a specifically Roman Catholic peculiarity.  Ash Wednesday is the beginning of Lent in the Western Rite of Christianity, and, therefore, it is practised in the Latin Rite of the Roman Catholic Church, in many Anglican, Lutheran, Methodist &c. churches, and also in Orthodox churches and monasteries that use the Western Rite.

However, in the Eastern Rite, the beginning of Lent is not marked with an Ash day or ceremony as far as I am aware.

So regarding your question, yes Ash Wednesday does exist in Orthodoxy and yes you should be burning your palm frond but only if your church follows the Western Rite.  If you're Eastern Rite, then the answer is no to both questions.

I hope this helps.

Are you sure?  Why then does my calendar say it is "Ash Monday" for Greece?  I've heard about burning your palm fronds in EOxy - just not about putting ashes on your forehead like the Latins.
Michael

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 05:38:45 PM »

I can't be 100% certain, but I have never come across a reference to it in the Eastern Rite.  I also checked with a friend in Greece who asked me what I was talking about when I started asking about ashes.  He had never heard of it, and when I explained it to him, he dismissed it as a western oddity. Grin

Perhaps it's a custom that has crept into popular piety in Greece but which doesn't actually feature in the liturgical services of the Orthodox eastern Rite.  Just a thought.
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 05:40:33 PM »

My cats ate my palm frond. Sad
Michael

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 06:19:10 PM »

There's nothing like fibre to start the day. Grin
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 06:28:38 PM »

I've always been told to reverently place/bury the palm fronds on Lazarus Saturday in your garden where it will not be trodden upon and in the same area that you dispose of the ashes of your censer.

In Christ,
Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 06:40:52 PM »

I don't think I've ever heard of "ash monday..." Just another question to pop up to a prof (if I remember - which is always a huge IF)

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 07:53:12 AM »

I think your calendar has got the date wrong. "Ash Monday" is the Western name given to "Clean Monday" in Greece in imitation of the Western First Day of Lent ("Ash Wednesday"). Ash Monday is next Monday. The traditional Greek custom on this day is to fly kites on hilltops (as a reminder of the Ladder of Divine Ascent).

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 02:44:29 PM »

The traditional Greek custom on this day is to fly kites on hilltops (as a reminder of the Ladder of Divine Ascent).

LOL, I missed that one at Philotheou last year!
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 03:55:35 PM »

Just don't smoke it... Tongue

JB
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 03:59:34 PM by Jakub » Logged

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 04:03:35 PM »

[quote author=Νεκτάριος link=topic=8312.msg109482#msg109482 date=1141152269]
LOL, I missed that one at Philotheou last year!
[/quote]

It's just that they didn't want to share with you - so they snuck out and did it while you were asleeep  Wink

Happens all the time...

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags: icon corner 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: