OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 12:57:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: File Sharing  (Read 1627 times) Average Rating: 0
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« on: February 23, 2006, 10:31:00 PM »

I urgently need to send a 50 megabyte video .wmv file to a friend overseas. The problem with transferring through msn is that my internet often gets disconnected, and hence after 5 megabytes we usually have to restart the transfer. - it's getting nowhere

Does anyone have an easy solution to this problem? I'd very much appreciate it, thank you in advance.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Bizzlebin
Theologian
High Elder

Faith: Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: OCA

MonkBot, Go Forth!

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 10:42:58 PM »

I urgently need to send a 50 megabyte video .wmv file to a friend overseas. The problem with transferring through msn is that my internet often gets disconnected, and hence after 5 megabytes we usually have to restart the transfer. - it's getting nowhere

Does anyone have an easy solution to this problem? I'd very much appreciate it, thank you in advance.

Burn a CD with the file, then either take the CD to a very fast computer (maybe a library or internet cafe), and upload from there, or simply mail the CD.

Fashions and opinions among men may change, but the Orthodox tradition remains ever the same, no matter how few may follow it.

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 10:46:43 PM »

Is the information on the video sensitive? If not try uploading it to one of the bit-torrent sites (try www. thepiratebay.org ) and let him use bit-torrent to download it, if it is sensitive the newest version of bit-torrent will allow you to create your own temorary network to use in downloading it, but that's a bit more complex. The advantage of bit-torrent is if you or he get disconnected, you can start up again right where you left off.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 10:48:25 PM »

or, another idea, you could use winrar to rar compress the file and in doing so break it up into say 25 2 MB files, send them one at a time, if you get disconnected you only loose the last file, once he has all files in the same folder, he can open them and uncompress it.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 10:52:14 PM »

In dialogue with board member 'Red Deacon' it has been suggested to me that you should place the file on a USB thumb-drive, attach it to a 'homing seagull' and allow it to fly to your friend Wink

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 11:33:50 AM »

I would probably try the torrent or the winrar method if I were you...

Or you could use a swallow to take the USB thumb-drive (they're more reliable than seagulls)

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 01:29:48 PM »

An African or European swallow?

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 01:52:56 PM »

Well, now I don't knoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo (thrown into abyss).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 01:53:22 PM »

I guess it could be either one - is the USB key heavier than a coconut?

---------------------
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 02:00:23 PM »

That depends on whether you're talking about a West African high coconut or a Malayan yellow dwarf coconut, but what is most important is does the USB key quack like a duck?

EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 02:05:03 PM »

Thanks for all your help. I couldn't use the torrent method since the video is in fact private/sensitive, nor could I use the other method since I simply have no idea how to break up a file like that. Someone else referred me to www.upload2.com, which worked quite well. I simply had to upload the file and provide the download link to my friend. It allows one to upload up files up to 250 megabytes, and further allows you to make the files private and even gives you the option of deleting the file afterwards.

GiC, pass on the following three words to your friend 'Red Deacon': Don't do drugs.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2006, 02:30:06 PM »

glad you got your friend the file...as far as breaking up the files if you get winrar it's quite self-explanitory, the programme is about 30 dollars, but it's available for free on various torrent sites if you know what I mean.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: