OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 11:05:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Message To All Protestant Evangelicals/Fundamentalists...  (Read 4969 times) Average Rating: 0
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« on: February 23, 2006, 07:14:13 PM »

I posted this on my Myspace blog because of Protestants sending me messages on how I should interpret Scripure and I'd like to know if it is too harsh:

I respect your faith in Christ but please do not tell me that I must believe as you do to have a proper understanding of the Scriptures. Your understanding of Scripture is a 21st Century American understanding and therefore does not apply to my faith, the Orthodox faith, which has existed from the very beginning of Christianity.
While you may have some Billy Bob preacher telling you what to believe, we have the words of the early church fathers and theologians, those who were close to the original authors of the New Testament. If you refuse to believe in the real presence of Christ in the Holy Eucharist, for example, you do not have the true faith within you.
I hope and pray that someday you will know the truth, the truth that will set you free from Western hubris.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 07:29:06 PM »

I'm sorry, Matthew777, but it comes across to me as rather condescending. ÂÂ "Billy Bob preacher" for instance sounds like you're saying to them: "*you* are from some back country hick church while *I* am sophisticated and more learned and experienced then you are". ÂÂ The last line is also patronizing: that you know about what motivates them and that it must be pride as opposed to possibly that they think you need to know something (rather like some of the discussions on this forum ÂÂ  Wink ). ÂÂ You are also a 21st Century American after all. ÂÂ Are you looking down on the "unwashed"? ÂÂ How will such a response make them want to learn about your Church if you give disdain? ÂÂ

I also don't think that the "West" has some kind of lock on "hubris". ÂÂ

I do not mean to sound harsh back.  But you asked how it read and being non-EO myself, those are some of my thoughts.

Ebor

edited for spelling and punctuation
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 07:30:22 PM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 08:37:18 PM »

I LOVED IT !!!!!!!!  Wink

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 08:52:43 PM »

You paint with a bit of a broad brush.

Please check out someone like Thomas Oden or Daniel Clendenin, (mainline protestant/evangelical, respectively) men who have tremendous respect for Orthodoxy.

Not all protestants are going to convert to Orthodoxy, but there is a case where, "whoever is not against us is for us" - I think this applies to the men I just mentioned.

I will say for it seems like the billionth time that alot of cradles think all protestants are like the TV guys on religious TV or are total liberals; and I think alot of converts come from fundamentalist or charasmatic backgrounds and think all protestants are like the same whakos they left. (I heard Clark Carlson speak last year and it was like, what planet did you grow up on? My protestant upbringing was nothing like that! And Matthew Gallitan is even worse - charasmania and seventh day adventism and wierd fundamentalism).

Finding Orthodoxy has been my joy, but in my case, my conservative, Presbyterian, and intellectually informed evangelicalism prepared me for Orthodoxy rather than being something to need years of therapy to get over.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 08:58:38 PM »

I do not mean to sound harsh back.  But you asked how it read and being non-EO myself, those are some of my thoughts.

I know that it may sound harsh. Could you please think of a better way to request Protestants to not tell us how to interpret Scripture?

Peace.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 09:00:22 PM »

Finding Orthodoxy has been my joy, but in my case, my conservative, Presbyterian, and intellectually informed evangelicalism prepared me for Orthodoxy rather than being something to need years of therapy to get over.

I've been approached by the kind of non-denominational Evangelicals who claim that belief alone in Christ, regardless of our works, is the only ticket to heaven. It is true that those who desire to be saved must believe but Christ also clearly taught that our works matter. Think of the sheep and the goats. Think of "If you love me, follow my commandments." It's sad that these Christians don't understand this.  

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 09:24:53 PM »

I know that it may sound harsh. Could you please think of a better way to request Protestants to not tell us how to interpret Scripture?

Perhaps by providing a detailed examination of how the Orthodox tackle scriptural exegesis, and then explain why you personally consider such methods to be better at getting to the heart of the intended message of the text? My Grand Mother used to always say, you get more flys with honey than with vinegar. It probably works better for people as well.

Joe: 'Is it creepy for a 35 year old guy to date a 19 year old girl?'
Desiree: 'Not if she's the one to push for the relationship, babe.'
Joe: 'But...'
Desiree: 'You'll shut up if you're smart.'
Joe: 'Ok.'
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 10:11:44 PM »

You paint with a bit of a broad brush.

BrotherAidan. I don't think so. I;ve had exposure to camps of evangelicals, the Jesus alone types. the types that think the church died when Constantine converted, the kind that think we Orthodox are legalists, the kind that interpret scripture to fit their own ends. Sometimes love is tough and if you are a wacko, maybe you need to be told so.

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 10:29:55 PM »

Maybe I should repost these messages to show just what I am up against.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Bizzlebin
Theologian
High Elder

Faith: Orthodoxy

MonkBot, Go Forth!

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 10:37:30 PM »

It really depends on the audience. If you're going to post something for public viewing, definately tone it down. But, in some cases, it is justified to be quite frank. Look at the writings of many of the Church fathers, I think we're way to easy in some cases. But, we're also way to hard in others. As a general rule, I try to go very easy when I am posting in public. There maybe someone who sees it that was not the target audience, so it needs to be representative of the Orthodox faith to all.

Fashions and opinions among men may change, but the Orthodox tradition remains ever the same, no matter how few may follow it.

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 10:47:12 PM »

Matthew

I used to be one of them, I don't need to see their messages. Wink I was part of the worst of the worst of fundamentalists, who thought that harsh and rash judgment of others was something we were commanded to do by God, and that hate was nearly a virtue (after all, they concluded, the Bible did say that God hated people). But this is a perfect instance when you can put to use the words of Jesus Christ about turning the other cheek. Those who are open to learning will learn, and maybe you will learn a bit too, either from their mistakes, or from something they've come upon in their own journey. In any event, if your object is to get them to settle down or persuade them, I seriously doubt that an inflamatory post is going to help you attain your objective.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 10:48:13 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 10:55:07 PM »

How is the post inflammatory?

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 10:58:35 PM »

double post
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 10:58:58 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 11:17:50 PM »

I thought Ebor and Brother Aidan covered most of what I would also say.

BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2006, 12:19:49 AM »

Matthew,
I cut and pasted your original post and made my attempt at a revision

so, here's my 2 cents worth:

I respect your faith in Christ but please do not tell me that I must believe as you do to have a proper understanding of the Scriptures. Your understanding of Scripture is a product of scriptural interpretation that began in the 1500's after the Protestant Reformation. My understanding of Scripture is from a method of scriptural interpretation that not only pre-dates the Reformation, it pre-dates all the corruptions and excesses in the Western Church that led to the Reformation. It is a method that the early fathers of the Church used; men who knew the Apostles and followed their method of scriptural interpretation.

The doctrines that result from these methods will differ. You may believe that the later method of the Reformers, who were reacting to correct distortions of the original interpretations is the correct one. I choose to accept the original interpretations and the doctrines that flow from those interpretations.

Take, for example, Christ's words in John 6: "my flesh is food indeed and my blood is drink indeed" (see verses 53-39). The Fathers interpreted this passage as Christ speaking literally of His body and blood in the eucharist. The Reformation Protestant forbearers of your tradition interpreted this passage figuratively and symbolically, so you view it as a memorial.

May God enlighten the eyes of all of our understanding to receive the right teaching and right practice of the Faith.
Landon77
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Antiochian Western Orthodox in exile)

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2006, 12:29:18 AM »

I used to be a fundy too.  If I had received a post like that it would only have pushed me further into my fundy corner where I lash out.  If you tell them you're following the teachings of those that where close to the authors, they're only going to come back with saying that you are following the teachings of man and not of God.  They will have an answer for everything, even if they have to make one up and contradict themselves.  The only thing that will shock them is unyielding love.  Tell them the truth, but don't get into "shouting matches."  Above all, don't treat them like they are stupid or uneducated.  "Billy Bob" preacher and his congregation my be blue collar workers, but they can quote enough Bible from memory to take you for a ride.  I think the only way to get at the root of protestantism is to address the issue of authority. ÂÂ
I like Brother Aiden's revision- it will get them thinking, but not too upset, since you are just a legalistic, corrupt, lost- and-therefor-can't-interpret-the-Sriptures, idol worshiping guy anyways.

"How stands your mighty god? My God is stronger than he."  -St. Boniface
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2006, 12:31:15 AM »

the types that think the church died when Constantine converted

A protestant acquaintance asked me just the other day if it was a good thing that Constantine made Christianity the religion of the empire.

I sais, if you lived then and your family members had been persecuted under former emperors, you would certainly think it was a good thing!!!!!!!!

Then I had to educate him regarding over 1,000 years of Byzantium because he knew only the history of the West (and that not all that well)

BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2006, 12:36:14 AM »

it will get them thinking, but not too upset, since you are just a legalistic, corrupt, lost- and-therefor-can't-interpret-the-Sriptures, idol worshiping guy anyways.

LOL literally

Landon, thanks for the compliment (not you literally, of course)!! LOL (again)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 12:42:28 AM by BrotherAidan » Logged
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2006, 12:36:39 AM »

I posted this on my Myspace blog because of Protestants sending me messages on how I should interpret Scripure and I'd like to know if it is too harsh:

I respect your faith in Christ but please do not tell me that I must believe as you do to have a proper understanding of the Scriptures. Your understanding of Scripture is a 21st Century American understanding and therefore does not apply to my faith, the Orthodox faith, which has existed from the very beginning of Christianity.
While you may have some Billy Bob preacher telling you what to believe, we have the words of the early church fathers and theologians, those who were close to the original authors of the New Testament. If you refuse to believe in the real presence of Christ in the Holy Eucharist, for example, you do not have the true faith within you.
I hope and pray that someday you will know the truth, the truth that will set you free from Western hubris.

Matthew,

I would respectfully suggest that it could be a bit harsh and condescending. I am reminded of St Paul's words in 1Corinthians 13, and wonder if you have missed the opportunity to express the Orthodox point of view in the true spirit of Christian charity. While it's true that the church fathers were very harsh on occasion, perhaps it's best to consider the rhetoric styles of their day. It might be advantageous to avoid emmulating a style that might not be appropriate today.

Asteriktos posted this... "Perhaps by providing a detailed examination of how the Orthodox tackle scriptural exegesis, and then explain why you personally consider such methods to be better at getting to the heart of the intended message of the text? My Grand Mother used to always say, you get more flys with honey than with vinegar. It probably works better for people as well." (I think Asteriktos has hit the nail on the head - aren't old adages just great?? Smiley )

To quote another old adage, I think your heart is in the right place. But I am of the opinion that in removing anything that could be construed as malicious or prideful, your efforts to explain the Faith could be more rewarding to those you are trying to help come to an understanding; rather than risk causing offence.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
donkeyhotay

Jurisdiction: Greek

"God, Who provides for all, will not desert us"

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2006, 12:51:04 AM »

It depends on what your expectations are.  If you want even more nasty messages from Protestant Evangelicals/Fundamentalists I'm sure that post will produce those results.

A dog is better than I am, for he has love and does not judge.
-Abba Xanthias
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2006, 12:53:13 AM »

my last 2 cents worth

the tremendous disadvantage we have here is that virtually all protestants are totally ignorant of the history of the Eastern Church. I know I was before I found Orthodoxy. I have a Master of Divinity from a highly respected, mainstream (not fundie or charasmatic whacko) theological seminary. My feeling when I discovered Orthodoxy was that I wanted a refund for my church history and theology courses because the Eastern Church was non-existent in them.

I felt like Christopher Columbus in the New World when I found Orthodoxy. I always knew it was there, I just hadn't stepped foot on it yet. It was awesome, but I also couldn't believe how everyone else (figuratively speaking in terms of theology and history) had actually believed the earth was flat.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2006, 01:21:31 AM »

Take, for example, Christ's words in John 6: "my flesh is food indeed and my blood is drink indeed" (see verses 53-39). The Fathers interpreted this passage as Christ speaking literally of His body and blood in the eucharist. The Reformation Protestant forbearers of your tradition interpreted this passage figuratively and symbolically, so you view it as a memorial.

Either the Eucharist is the body and blood of Christ or it is not. There is no grey area. Am I correct?

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2006, 01:28:32 AM »

"Billy Bob" preacher and his congregation my be blue collar workers

As a socialist, I am proud to be a member of the working class and admire the blue collar worker. One thing that upsets me is how these Billy Bob preachers endorse political candidates who do nothing but hurt the working class.

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2006, 01:36:02 AM »

Matthew
there is NO grey area from our perspective

but the OBJECT is to get them thinking with their defenses down (our goal is to nudge people to the truth, not to "win")

have you never heard of an ad hominem argument (ad hominem meaning "to the man"; in other words, arguing from a take-off point they may understand)
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2006, 01:36:16 AM »

As a socialist, I am proud to be a member of the working class and admire the blue collar worker. One thing that upsets me is how these Billy Bob preachers endorse political candidates who do nothing but hurt the working class.

I think Ebor said it best:

I'm sorry, Matthew777, but it comes across to me as rather condescending.  "Billy Bob preacher" for instance sounds like you're saying to them: "*you* are from some back country hick church while *I* am sophisticated and more learned and experienced then you are".  The last line is also patronizing: that you know about what motivates them and that it must be pride as opposed to possibly that they think you need to know something (rather like some of the discussions on this forum   Wink ).  You are also a 21st Century American after all.  Are you looking down on the "unwashed"?  How will such a response make them want to learn about your Church if you give disdain?

Might be a good time to drop that whole "Billy Bob" thing...  Roll Eyes
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2006, 01:43:00 AM »

have you never heard of an ad hominem argument (ad hominem meaning "to the man"; in other words, arguing from a take-off point they may understand)

Yes, it is one of the logical fallacies we covered in Philosophy 201.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2006, 01:43:29 AM »

What term better describes Jerry Fallwell and Pat Robertson than "Billy Bob preacher"?

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Arystarcus
High Elder

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2006, 01:46:59 AM »

What term better describes Jerry Fallwell and Pat Robertson than "Billy Bob preacher"?

Televangelist?
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2006, 01:50:03 AM »

Matthew
forget it
You just love to debate and you are ascerbic by nature
you can't give an even response to anyone, even fellow-Orthodox (let alone antagonistic fundamentalists)
Arystarcus
High Elder

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2006, 01:52:28 AM »

He is fluent in the "trollish" language.  Shocked

Yea-up, I said it.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2006, 01:57:31 AM »

I don't consider myself a bitter person. I know that at times, we all may feel offended by the likes of Pat Robertson. That doesn't make us better people or him an evil person.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Arystarcus
High Elder

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2006, 02:00:11 AM »

Everytime I look at your avatar it reminds me of the song "Black Jesus" by Everlast.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2006, 02:02:25 AM »

Upon the request of several members of this forum, I have deleted the blog entry.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Cyril of New York

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GO Archdiocese

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2006, 07:21:41 AM »

I believe it was Cardinal Newman who once said that to delve into history is to cease to be a Protestant.  I would take it a step further by saying that an unbiased examination of the entire historical record rather than from the isolated Western paradigm leaves no option but to be Orthodox. Unfortunately even with the electronic media available to us in the 21st century I'm afraid that getting this message out to the Western world is a greater uphill battle than what the Apostles were commanded to do. At least the culturally diverse and relatively open-minded philosophical environment of the ancient Hellenistic world (at least before Nero) allowed for Christian ideas to flourish, in stark contrast to the characteristically American attitude of "don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is made up." It is interesting that the Greek meaning of the word heretic is defined as someone who picks and chooses what suits them while discarding all else, because that is the embodiment of Protestantism to a T. It is also ironic, and maddening to many of us Orthodox, that many politically active conservative evangelicals have made it a priority (not unjustly I should add) to criticize the politically correct "1984" style of historical revisionism regarding America's religious heritage, the Crusades, etc., since Protestantism could not even exist without selectively editing the historical record in their own favor. Mention the Orthodox church, they shake their head. Mention the Ecumenical councils or Church Fathers (except for Augustine), they shrug their shoulders. What, there was Christianity for fifteen centuries between the Book of Acts and the Reformation? Unthinkable! This is somewhat to be expected of course, when they are so ignorant of their own history as well. Ever bring up Martin Luther's endorsement of polygamy, his virulent anti-semitism, or his removal of books from the Bible that he didn't like? Or how about John Calvin's megalomaniacal rule over Geneva that differed little from the Taliban? Mind you I'm not suggesting that these topics be brought up in casual conversation with our Protestant brethren, since I never endorse throwing a match into a gasoline can, literally or figuratively. But this should illustrate to some extent how we have our work cut out for us in our attempt to bring the light of Orthodoxy to the Western hemisphere. Having once lived in religious isolation within the Bible belt of Kentucky, I must sadly say that I sometimes think it is easier to teach a person blind since birth to imagine a rainbow than to convince the American Protestant to think outside the box.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2006, 10:27:50 AM »

I believe it was Cardinal Newman who once said that to delve into history is to cease to be a Protestant.  I would take it a step further by saying that an unbiased examination of the entire historical record rather than from the isolated Western paradigm leaves no option but to be Orthodox.

Ohhhhh, I don't know about that one  Grin

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2006, 11:34:51 AM »

Given that Orthodoxy is the fruit of the great apostasy, why should Protestants ever listen to us?

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2006, 11:49:12 AM »

After several messages back and forth, this is the last I have sent to a particular Protestant Evangelical...

I have already discovered the truth of God. Otherwise, I would not be part of the Orthodox faith. The problem is that you have a very contemporary understanding of Christianity.
I would recommend that you learn more about the Orthodox Church, the church which has existed from the beginning of Christianity; the church which Christ founded and promised to protect until the end of the age. I wouldn't be surprised if you haven't even heard of Orthodoxy, not that I can blame you for it.

"The Church has her origin with Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit, not with a human teacher, or group, nor a code of conduct or religious philosophy. Orthodoxy believes that the Church has her origin in the Apostolic Community called into being by Jesus Christ, and enlivened by the Holy Spirit. The Feast of Pentecost, which is celebrated fifty days after Easter, commemorates the "outpouring'' of the Holy Spirit upon the Apostles and marks the beginning of the mission of the Church to the world. The Orthodox Church believes that she has maintained a direct and unbroken continuity of love, faith, and order with the Church of Christ born in the Pentecost experience."
http://www.goarch.org/en/ourfaith/articles/article7102.asp

History of the Orthodox Church
Aristeides Papadakis, Ph.D.
http://www.goarch.org/en/ourfaith/articles/article7053.asp

Introduction to the Orthodox Church
Rev. Leonidas Contos, Ph.D.
http://www.goarch.org/en/ourfaith/articles/article7051.asp

You have a rather skewed understanding of theology, one that the early Christians would take no part of. If you really want to know the truth of God, you will not find it in modern Protestantism. Whereas my church dates to the first century and has indeed preserved the faith of Christ, yours is new to this era and therefore not worthy of my trust. This does not make me a better person than you in any way but I would prefer for you to not tell me how to believe, especially when I have the teachers and theologians of the early Church on my side.

Peace.

----------------- Original Message -----------------
Date: Feb 23, 2006 11:58 PM

I feel that im going in circles with you, and you just cant see the other side.
God bless in your journey of discovering Him.

----------------- Original Message -----------------
Date: Feb 23, 2006 9:40 PM

I am sorry but you are mistaken. When Jesus stated, "Not everyone who cries 'Lord, Lord!' will enter the Kingdom", that includes people who consider themselves Christians yet do not have the spirit of God's law in their hearts.

Jesus said, "Not everyone who cries out "Lord, Lord" will enter the Kingdom of Heaven, but only those who do the will of my Father in Heaven." To do the will of the Father is to follow His commandments.
When we ask for God's forgiveness, we also promise to not commit the same sin again and pray for Him to transform our hearts from one of sin to one of righteousness.

"He that saith, I know Him, and keepeth not His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoso keepeth His word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in Him."
1 John 2:4-5

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
DavidH
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2006, 11:38:20 PM »

Q. Who grieves for Lee Harvey Oswald?
A. God
ergo......so should we. St. Isaac of Nineveh: "What is a merciful heart? It is a heart on fire for the whole of creation, for humanity, for the birds, for the animals, for demons, and for all that exists. By the recollection of them the eyes of a merciful person pour forth tears in abundance. By the strong and vehement mercy that grips such a person’s heart, and by such great compassion, the heart is humbled and one cannot bear to hear or to see any injury or slight sorrow in any in creation. For this reason, such a person offers up tearful prayer continually even for irrational beasts, for the enemies of the truth, and for those who harm her or him, that they be protected and receive mercy. And in like manner such a person prays for the family of reptiles because of the great compassion that burns with without measure in a heart that is in the likeness of God."

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2006, 11:49:15 PM »

We should grieve for those who are wrongfully accused and then killed for it.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2006, 12:28:48 AM »

Matthew
forget it
You just love to debate and you are ascerbic by nature
you can't give an even response to anyone, even fellow-Orthodox (let alone antagonistic fundamentalists)

http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/warriorshtm/ferouscranus.htm

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2006, 01:01:32 AM »

Q. Who grieves for Lee Harvey Oswald?
A. God
ergo......so should we. St. Isaac of Nineveh: "What is a merciful heart? It is a heart on fire for the whole of creation, for humanity, for the birds, for the animals, for demons, and for all that exists. By the recollection of them the eyes of a merciful person pour forth tears in abundance. By the strong and vehement mercy that grips such a person’s heart, and by such great compassion, the heart is humbled and one cannot bear to hear or to see any injury or slight sorrow in any in creation. For this reason, such a person offers up tearful prayer continually even for irrational beasts, for the enemies of the truth, and for those who harm her or him, that they be protected and receive mercy. And in like manner such a person prays for the family of reptiles because of the great compassion that burns with without measure in a heart that is in the likeness of God."

A beautiful and most appropriate quote.

Thanks, David.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

chrisb
Working it out in fear and trembling...

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: St. Cyprian of Carthage - OCA|South

St. Cyprian pray for us.

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2006, 06:37:49 PM »

Grace and Peace be with you all,

I will admit to anyone when I read Holy Scripture particularly Romans and Galatians I come to a certain point where I can see and to some extent understand Protestantism.

Ash Wednesday was yesterday so my Great Lent has already started. During this period I have chosen to observe the Orthodox Guidelines for Fasting (which I find very enlightened) and to read nothing but Holy Scripture. I will admit that everytime I exercise a diet of Scripture Only (pun intended  Grin) I see our shared faith in a simpler light. Sometimes this simpler light scares me because it strikes me as sharing a lot with Protestantism with simple grace, faith and personal pieties. In a certain sense resting in faith and trust in our God.

Am I alone in this?  Huh

Peace and God Bless.

For whoever does the will of God is my brother and sister and mother. - Mark 3:35
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2006, 09:17:20 PM »

Grace and Peace be with you all,

I will admit to anyone when I read Holy Scripture particularly Romans and Galatians I come to a certain point where I can see and to some extent understand Protestantism.

Ash Wednesday was yesterday so my Great Lent has already started. During this period I have chosen to observe the Orthodox Guidelines for Fasting (which I find very enlightened) and to read nothing but Holy Scripture. I will admit that everytime I exercise a diet of Scripture Only (pun intended  Grin) I see our shared faith in a simpler light. Sometimes this simpler light scares me because it strikes me as sharing a lot with Protestantism with simple grace, faith and personal pieties. In a certain sense resting in faith and trust in our God.

Am I alone in this?  Huh

If I understand you correctly.... no, I don't think you are alone in this. I don't think it's possible (unless one has military backing  Undecided), or even right to "wrestle people to the ground" in an attempt to get them to accept or understand one's beliefs. Our ultimate goal, I believe, is to accept other people in the place we find them in love and forgiveness, without compromising our own faith. If they ask, explain. If they reject the explanation, that's fine, too. For me, this has been the wonderful aspect of my Christian journey, that I simply don't have to worry about convincing anyone that I am the one who is right. I just need to love. It's not always easy, but it's always rewarding! Smiley

BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2006, 12:28:26 AM »

"I see our shared faith in a simpler light. Sometimes this simpler light scares me because it strikes me as sharing a lot with Protestantism with simple grace, faith and personal pieties. In a certain sense resting in faith and trust in our God."

Perhaps this is why so many protestants convert to Orthodoxy. The ARE similarities in the personal piety (although it would gall some Orthodox, especially some converts, to admit it)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 12:29:14 AM by BrotherAidan » Logged
annaspencer

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2006, 04:12:46 PM »

Upon the request of several members of this forum, I have deleted the blog entry.
I can't believe you deleted that, I thought it was great! ...Maybe you actually like having them try to convert you, then you can have fun debating with them?  Wink
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2006, 09:46:18 AM »

I agree with Christ that whoever isn't against us is with us.

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2006, 09:48:41 AM »

I agree with Christ that whoever isn't against us is with us.

Peace.

That has to be taken with the verse in Revelation that if you are not actively for him, you are spit out as lukewarm refuse.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2006, 09:53:25 AM »

Even if they are misguided in some respects, I would say that most Evangelical Protestants are actively with Christ.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 09:53:41 AM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2006, 10:58:36 AM »

Even if they are misguided in some respects, I would say that most Evangelical Protestants are actively with Christ.

I actually agree with you.

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Bizzlebin
Theologian
High Elder

Faith: Orthodoxy

MonkBot, Go Forth!

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2006, 03:16:52 AM »

What if they knowingly and willingly reject Orthodoxy, especially on multiple occasions?

Fashions and opinions among men may change, but the Orthodox tradition remains ever the same, no matter how few may follow it.

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
UBERROGO

« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2006, 03:29:35 AM »

Peace.

As  a former prot. and am looking into orthodoxy, it seems that you asked him how to interpret scripture. Otherwise why would he tell you? If you asked then dont be mad he told you.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2006, 07:22:33 PM »

As  a former prot. and am looking into orthodoxy, it seems that you asked him how to interpret scripture. Otherwise why would he tell you? If you asked then dont be mad he told you.

I did not ask, it was given without request.

What I've discovered is that the best way to deal with Protestantism is genuine kindness. If we discuss Orthodoxy with an good-natured heart, they are more likely to actually be interested in what we have to say.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: