OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 05:26:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions::Answers  (Read 1295 times) Average Rating: 0
ethiopicartist
Ethiopian Tewahedo Orthodox

God bless you..may God have mercy on us sinners

« on: February 22, 2006, 02:11:07 PM »

I don't find relgious jokes funny unless its not about our Christiain faith.How do you feel is it sin or not to laugh about relgious jokes? Are we not to fear God?

Lord Jesus Christ,Son of God,by the Mother of God have mercy on us sinners:34  I give you a new commandment, that you  love  one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should  love  one anot
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 02:40:01 PM »

Dear mother, dear mother, the Church is cold;
But the Alehouse is healthy, and pleasant, and warm.
Besides, I can tell where I am used well;
The poor parsons with wind like a blown bladder swell.

But, if at the Church they would give us some ale,
And a pleasant fire our souls to regale,
We'd sing and we'd pray all the livelong day,
Nor ever once wish from the Church to stray.

Then the Parson might preach, and drink, and sing,
And we'd be as happy as birds in the spring;
And modest Dame Lurch, who is always at church,
Would not have bandy children, nor fasting, nor birch.

And God, like a father, rejoicing to see
His children as pleasant and happy as he,
Would have no more quarrel with the Devil or the barrel,
But kiss him, and give him both drink and apparel.

-- The Little Vagabond by William Blake

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 03:21:15 PM »

ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  I don't find relgious jokes funny unless its not about our Christiain faith.How do you feel is it sin or not to laugh about relgious jokes? Are we not to fear God?

Well, I mean no disrespect to you here; why would it be OK to laugh at jokes on other Faiths just not your own?  Is that treating someone else as you would be treated?  Then again, most of the religious jokes I know are on the foibles of human beings.  Sometimes jokes have been used to illustrate a point and that can be helpful.  And there are different kinds of religious jokes, a spectrum as it were. They're not all equal in wit or humor or charity.

Ebor

« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 03:22:31 PM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 04:16:50 PM »

Well, here's something I struggle with.  Would it be fine to laugh at jokes of your own religion, or even make jokes?  Where should the line be crossed?

God bless.

Mina

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
ethiopicartist
Ethiopian Tewahedo Orthodox

God bless you..may God have mercy on us sinners

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 10:06:30 PM »

I know laughing in front of other people about a faith that we consider pagan is a sin because were not showing love towards our neighbor and bringing them into life with our beloved Lord Jesus.I guess it is a sin and type of pride when I really think about it.Well I can't laugh about jokes about the true God of the uuniverseI'm sscaredHe would be offended.Since I can't laugh about paganism and not the pagans then I guess should just laugh at myself.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 10:09:51 PM by ethiopicartist » Logged

Lord Jesus Christ,Son of God,by the Mother of God have mercy on us sinners:34  I give you a new commandment, that you  love  one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should  love  one anot
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 08:50:54 AM »

Well, Anglicans certainly make jokes about themselves:

"How many Episcopalians does it take to change a lightbulb?"

Ans 1: "3.  One to make the martinis, one to serve the martinis and one to call the electrician."

Ans 2: "10.  One to change the lightbulb and 9 to start a society and newsletter about how nice the old lightbulb was and what a pity they changed it."

Grin

Then there's the Anglican version of "I am the Very Model of a Modern Major General"

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 10:10:55 AM »

How many Orthodox does it take to change a lightbulb?

1. Change? What is this change?

2. Was it electric light bulbs in 19th century Russia? Fetch the olive oil and beeswax.

Qui cantat, bis orat
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 11:39:54 AM »

How many Orthodox does it take to change a lightbulb?

1. Change? What is this change?

2. Was it electric light bulbs in 19th century Russia? Fetch the olive oil and beeswax.

Lightbulbs?  Is outrage!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 11:57:26 AM »

Why do Chalcedonians insist on the two nature formula?

1) Two is company, one is lonely.
2) The Bible says that "two are better than one" (Ecclesiastes 4:9)
3) The animals went into Noah's ark two by two - a metaphorical prophecy of the two natures of Christ.

Grin
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 11:58:44 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: