OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 24, 2014, 12:27:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How does Orthodoxy view Taizé?  (Read 2463 times) Average Rating: 0
MicahJohn
The Lonely Tenor

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: February 20, 2006, 10:47:08 AM »

I have recently learned about this kind of worship style (www.taize.fr/en) and I am wondering what the general opinion of it is in Orthodox circles. I've looked to see where it's done here in Denver and all the churches that do it are mainline liberal Protestant. I don't know if that says anything bad about Taizé itself though.  I've read that they have had Orthodox clergy visit them before, and they haven't seemed to be bothered by it, although I realize there is a wide spectrum of attitudes among the Orthodox.

Another thing, what about labyrinths?  I've seem some churches doing that as well, some kind of meditation thing.  It seems kooky to me, does anyone else know differently?

micah
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 03:45:29 PM by Anastasios » Logged
PhosZoe
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 03:40:58 PM »

I only know what I read on the web site about Taize. I would assume it would be viewed as another hetrodox community?  
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 03:45:54 PM »

I test edited micah's post to see if the nbsp thing is fixed. It appears to be.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Bizzlebin
Theologian
High Elder

Faith: Orthodoxy

MonkBot, Go Forth!

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 06:11:56 PM »

I would assume it would be viewed as another hetrodox community?

Agreed.

And I don't see anything particularly special about them. What were you referring to Micah?

Fashions and opinions among men may change, but the Orthodox tradition remains ever the same, no matter how few may follow it.

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
MicahJohn
The Lonely Tenor

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 07:02:03 PM »

Well I was referring more to the actual worship styles they've come up with rather than the community.  I haven't really found any criticism or critique of them online yet, and I didn't know but what some people here might have a perspective regarding Orthodox involvement in it.  If it wasn't for the fact that all the churches that seem to promote it in our town are quite liberal, I might think it was a great idea.

But then again, we see Orthodoxy as having everything we need for our salvation, so why look elsewhere for anything.  I think there's truth in that, and I'm probably just distracted with such things as this, or my appreciation for the evil Western styles of liturgy  Roll Eyes ; I find myself wishing many times for something more compatible with me instead of just placing myself in the hands of the Church...

All that to say, just wondering if anyone has an opinion on Taize style worship.  My priest is out of town or I'd ask him too.  Grin

micah
Bizzlebin
Theologian
High Elder

Faith: Orthodoxy

MonkBot, Go Forth!

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 07:39:59 PM »

I find myself wishing many times for something more compatible with me instead of just placing myself in the hands of the Church...

Well, I think of it this way: if I'm in my own hands, if I'm in control, I'm in deep trouble!

Fashions and opinions among men may change, but the Orthodox tradition remains ever the same, no matter how few may follow it.

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 11:14:37 PM »

Well, I've never been to a Taize Liturgy per sea.  However, when I was Catholic I did go to a RC Eucharistic adoration in Detroit at the Shrine of the Little Flower.  It was absouluty beautiful and orthodox by Catholic liturgical standards (little o Wink)
THey also have beautiful music, but I highly doubt it'd be appropriate for an Orthodox Liturgy.  I've heard though, that heasy runs amuck at the community

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
bripat22

Slava Tebie, Boze nas! Slava Tebie

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 11:58:35 PM »

just distracted with such things as this, or my appreciation for the evil Western styles of liturgy  Roll Eyes ; I find myself wishing many times for something more compatible with me instead of just placing myself in the hands of the Church...

All that to say, just wondering if anyone has an opinion on Taize style worship.  My priest is out of town or I'd ask him too.  Grin

micah

While though we do believe that Orthodoxy has the fulness of truth, it certainly should not make us closed-minded or sectarian about things that are beautiful in other traditions.  How sad if we only were listening to ourselves!!!

For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like!-

Maggie Smith "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie"
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 12:15:54 AM »

FWIW, my prayer book's examination of conscience before confession requires one to repent if one has attended prayer gatherings or church services of non-Orthodox. I take that to mean that Taize et al. would be forbidden for us.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: