OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 10:32:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it a sin?  (Read 1441 times) Average Rating: 0
Armando
Dead among the living

I gave up dreaming a long time ago...

« on: February 17, 2006, 07:59:47 PM »

I recently asked the Lord for help with something that is very-very important to me.
Among the things I told Him, is that I do not care if I have to give up things in life
like having a cool mobile phone or a computer or a PSP as long as I would have the
thing I asked for. From the looks of it, the Almight will grant me the wish but recently
my mobile phone broke down. So I asked my father to get me a new one. Even though
things are a bit tight lately he said ok and we will go buy a new one tomorrow (£250-£300).

Do you think this will provoke God and he might take away what He was given me?
No mobile phone or anything in the world is as important as what(sorry for not
mentioning it but it's personal) God has given me. Please tell me...

Ο εν Χριστώ αδελφός σας.

Ten years have passed, the girl I loved
is now a woman, but I am still a child...
-Sad-ending fairytale, Miltos Paschalidis
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 10:16:58 PM »

I recently asked the Lord for help with something that is very-very important to me.

The word to pay attention to in this sentence is "me".

God will not GIVE you anything. You have to work hard for everything worth having.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 10:18:27 PM by TomS » Logged
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 10:28:34 PM »

God will not GIVE you anything. You have to work hard for everything worth having.
I'm afraid "meritocracy" doesn't work Tom, neither in the Church nor in the world. Just ask the people who slave in sweatshops for $5 a month so you and I can wear the designer clothes we've "merited". Wink
The only things in Life worth having are free gifts from God. The only "effort" we need to put in is to accept and receive them.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 10:48:11 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 12:09:00 AM »

Just ask the people who slave in sweatshops for $5 a month so you and I can wear the designer clothes we've "merited". Wink

Really? Then what about those people who refused to accept the idea of working in sweat shops and have made more of their lives? No. It is about personal responsibility and not settling.

There are just too many stories of peple coming from nothing who have pulled themseleves up to a better way of life. Everything is dependent upon YOUR actions. God gives us the tools - after that he is just an observer. It is completely up to each of us to use the gifts we have been given.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

theologian by day, bard by night

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 12:22:59 AM »

I think this is the problem with trying to strike deals with God: we've all done it, but not one of us is really sure how to proceed, or even (most times) recognize for sure what is going on and what we should do. Part of the problem with such deals is that we are usually vague; probably unintentionally, but we are vague nonetheless. For example, in your case you seem to have made the deal that you were willing to give things up, if only God would grant you something. But now that you have the something, you don't know whether your being willing to give things up implies that you must give things up. Generally, I don't think that God works that way. However, I have read in many places that God will honor or accept a sacrifice or good intention. So, if I were you, I'd just make some firm commitments, and then stick to them. For example, "I won't spend more than X dollars a year on my PSP games," and things like that. Make it concrete, and make it so that there is a definate line in the sand, so to speak, so that you will know when you have done something you said you wouldn't. But just remember that in the end, God gives us what is best for us, regardless of what we give up or accept in an attempt to win his favor.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 12:34:36 AM »

Really? Then what about those people who refused to accept the idea of working in sweat shops and have made more of their lives? No. It is about personal responsibility and not settling.

Tom,
I think you need to travel to a few other countries and really see how most people live and what little "opportunity" they have. When three quarters of the world is starving, your "Tony Robbins-esque" motivational statements seem to ring rather hollow.... Wink
Wealth and opportunity are just not distributed throughout the world like that. Perhaps if everyone in those places where wealth and opportunity exist chose to live a little more simply, others in the world may be able to simply live.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 12:40:05 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 11:13:30 AM »

My response was directed to a young man who lives in GREECE. My advice is applicable to his situation.
annaspencer

Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006, 03:03:50 PM »

Even though things are a bit tight lately he said ok and we will go buy a new one tomorrow (£250-£300).

Do you think this will provoke God and he might take away what He was given me?

I don't think he would take what he gave you away, because I don't think he gave you something because he thought you would keep your promise. If you're worried about it though, to make yourself feel better you could always resolve to yourself not to ask for something expensive again whenthings are tight. I don't think you need to promise God, he knows what you will do better than you know yourself! Maybe it's better to ask for his help (not) to do something rather than promising him and trying to do it (or not do it) all by yourself.
Armando
Dead among the living

I gave up dreaming a long time ago...

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 03:09:37 PM »

I have another question I've been thinking lately... Why do you care about me?
I betrayed the Orthodox faith for 3 years. I had been chanting
the Creed with the Filioque addition and accepted submission to the pope,
and still you treat me with care and understanding. Why?
I don't deserve God's love nor yours.

Ten years have passed, the girl I loved
is now a woman, but I am still a child...
-Sad-ending fairytale, Miltos Paschalidis
annaspencer

Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 03:31:52 PM »

People have done a lot worse than chant a slightly different creed! If you look at all of Jesus' friends and appostles, they weren't all a great bunch before they changed their ways either! Anyway, nobody's here to judge someone else as unworthy of anything, we've all got things on our conscience - that's what confession and repentance is for.
For the record, you sound like a nice young man, but even if you weren't God loves everyone ...and next to nobody deserves it for what they've done!
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2006, 03:22:42 PM »

Anna, great thoughts!
Armando, God loves us all. Let me just give you one example. This guy's condo was above mine in Ukraine. He was a retired Lieutenant-Colonel of KGB. He had worked for GULAG. Later, he has been transfered to Ukraine by KGB in order to oppress Ukrainian people. I um under impression that he was baptized as a child. In the age of 86, he came to God. He went to a confession , to a Communion, etc. He started to visit a church. He passed away from a heart stop, really without any pain, being in a great physical condition for his age. It happened several months after his conversion. His sins have been confessed.
Armando, Jesus is glad to bring everybody to Him. Please just never loose a hope. I mean, I need to say that to myself as well.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: