OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 05:10:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Praying in the Children's Room  (Read 1250 times) Average Rating: 0
AncientFaith

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« on: February 16, 2006, 03:41:41 PM »

Several years ago, ISTR reading an article about an Orthodox father (read Dad) who would be saying prayers late at night and then would walk into each of the children's rooms as they slept and say some sort of blessing in the room.  Does this sound familiar to anyone?  Either as a practice or the article itself (it was definitely online)?

---
Patrick
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 04:56:09 PM »

Well, we pray an abbreviated version of evening prayers in our seven-month old daughter's room every night before we put her to bed, then make the sign of the cross over her after putting her, asleep, in her crib.

So yeah, kind of familiar.   Smiley

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 11:44:43 PM »

My daughter is three so I have taught her how to cross herself and say the Our Father. Then I let her add her own prayers. When she was younger I prayed the Hymn to the Theotokos from the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostum. As with Pedro, I sign her with the sign of the cross every night before bed.

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
SrbMama
Mrs.

OC.net

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 06:04:41 PM »

We do the abbreviated evening prayers in our kid's room with them, then Оче Наш (Our Father) in unison.

After that, we do a spontaneous prayer where we pray for various people in our family, etc. One night after we got through all our family member's names, my 3 year old son adds, "and for SpongeBob Squarepants..."

I thought that was cute and almost felt bad telling them that he's not real. LOL.

In Christ,
Tessa
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 06:07:49 PM by SrbMama » Logged

...for the Venerable Cross and Golden Freedom...
Tags: prayer 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: