OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 04:10:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: similar ethnicity  (Read 7655 times) Average Rating: 0
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever!

« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2006, 10:00:11 PM »

Karpatski Rusnack,
I even have an old ByzCath prayer book in Hungarian.  The oldest Hungarian ByzCatholic parish in New England (under the Ruthenian ByzCath eparchy of Passaic) was closed late last year.  I'm not sure what the difference in small traditions were between the Hungarians originally, but I'm thinking today you probably wouldn't find too much of a difference between the Ruthenian parishes with Rusnack roots and one with Hungarian roots, perhaps maybe different hymns or something.  
Deacon Lance, any insight?
A friend of mine attended the Hungarian Byzantine Catholic Parish in New Brunswick, NJ years ago.  They used the traditional Prostopinije but in Hungarian.  I don't know if the parish is still there.  However, the Chardas Restaurant is still there.  Maybe I'll head there this weekend for authentic chicken paprikash to celebrate Fashengy!
Vesely Fashengy!

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
irene

OC.net

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2006, 10:07:19 PM »

If it's half as good as my Grandma used to make, it'll be good eats for sure Grin

New Brunswick NJ.....spent many childhood years there visiting her on good ole Huntington St.

May her memory be eternal.........
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2006, 10:26:46 PM »

If it's half as good as my Grandma used to make, it'll be good eats for sure Grin
The cooks in the kitchen are 2 old Hungarian women.

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2006, 10:27:41 PM »

May her memory be eternal.........
Vichnaja Pamjat!

Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2006, 02:09:46 AM »

Irene,
My original assumption was that your Hungarian Orthodox friends currently live in USA. If so, they can just visit surrounding Orthodox churches in the area and check them out. In terms of an attitude of parishioners, it should be welcoming in the majority of parishes. However, they need to understand services, and therefore the extent of use of English language may be an issue.
But is that assumption was an error, and they live in Hungary, may be also these links will be helpful.
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Austria. As Yiannis mentioned, parishes in Hungary are subordinated to this Metropolis. The contact information can be found: http://www.holytrinity.ct.goarch.org/ecdir.html
Bulgarian Orthodox Parish in Budapest:
http://www.rilaeu.com/h1bgeu.htm
Information about Serbian Orthodox Parish in Budapest:
http://www.serbianunity.net/yugoslavia/html/churches.html#HUNGARY
Some other links were provided by Ozgeorge.
So, in this case, I would recommend to contact these parishes and to find more information.

irene

OC.net

« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2006, 06:56:09 AM »

You have all been so helpful, thanks! Smiley
SiviSokol

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: SOC

Tamburica u mom srcu

« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2006, 09:38:54 AM »

Hi Irene,

Unfortunately, the church that I spoke of is Greek Catholic and not Orthodox.  It was my old parish before I converted.  You might find some people who identify as (part-)Magyar in an ACROD (American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese) church.  As Young Fogey pointed out, there was a decent bit of Hungarian-Rusyn intermarriage.  
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2006, 01:21:10 AM »

Yes, he also said, more specifically, that in Rome for example:
Antiochian christians would pray only together,
Alexandrian christians would pray only together
Thessalonian Christians would pray only together
etc.etc.etc.

Sounds like my Church during coffee hour.  We have the Greek table; the Romanian table; the Syrian table; the Chatacumen table; the visitor table; and the "favorites" table.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 01:23:18 AM by Psalti Boy » Logged
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2006, 04:43:08 PM »

what's the "favorite's table"??  Never heard of that one..but I think I have an idea...

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2006, 04:48:37 PM »

"Favorites table"="Clergy table" and their favorite parishioners.

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2006, 05:03:00 PM »

OOH...my dad never had that, but I seam to vaguely remember such things from visiting other parishes.  

Is this like an established thing??

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Arystarcus
High Elder

« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2006, 07:38:04 PM »

Sounds like my Church during coffee hour.  We have the Greek table; the Romanian table; the Syrian table; the Chatacumen table; the visitor table; and the "favorites" table.

I know how to solve this problem - get rid of the tables!
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2006, 12:37:20 AM »

First no pews. Now no tables! Po po, give that idea to an old calendar traditional orthodox parish. I'm sure they'll love it- after all Christ probably sat on the floor with his disciples many times  Cheesy
Arystarcus
High Elder

« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2006, 01:08:17 AM »

First no pews. Now no tables! Po po, give that idea to an old calendar traditional orthodox parish. I'm sure they'll love it- after all Christ probably sat on the floor with his disciples many times  Cheesy

haha Cheesy

I didn't mean for the people to sit around on the floor.  Tongue

In the Methodist church I went to 11+ years ago, after church everyone met in the fellowship hall and there were some chairs set up alongside the walls and only a couple of table for people to sit at. How this worked was that the people moved around and actually socialized, so that there no groupings of cliques.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: