OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 25, 2014, 09:38:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: disputatio in utramque partem  (Read 3593 times) Average Rating: 0
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« on: February 11, 2006, 10:56:07 PM »

As some of you may, or may not, have realized over the last week I have been arguing in utramque partem, as the great rhetorician Marcus Tullius Cicero advises all to do in his great work 'The Orator.' However, I offer no apologies for the posistions I took, for though they were not my own they certainly diserved to be heard, as does every side of every issue.

To those who responded with reason and argument, I thank you for the challenge. But to the use of emotion and pasion against arguments of reason I quote Cicero, 'He only employs his passion who can make no use of his reason.'

I invite others to do as I did, look at both sides of every issue, question that which you hold most dear, and argue with equal vehemence in utramque partem.

'No one can speak well, unless he thoroughly understands his subject.'
--Marcus Tullius Cicero

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 10:57:19 PM »

Yeah, what he said, but more importantly I just got that patch of tinfoil on my roof fixed, they can't get me now.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Bizzlebin
Theologian
High Elder

Faith: Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: OCA

MonkBot, Go Forth!

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 11:09:17 PM »

I have actually done this before, too. It was very enlightening. Also, it is quite interesting to see, as you pointed out, those who actually take the time to respond logically to such arguements. Those are the people I really like having here on the forum; they are the ones who are going to make the impact. Thankfully, I have a gift of being able to run arguements, counter-arguements, counter-counter-arguements, and so forth, mentally, but it is still no substitute for peer criticism. Every side must be tackled, every option considered, something I hope to see more of. For, if we cannot justify what we believe, why do we believe it?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 11:10:38 PM by Bizzlebin » Logged

Fashions and opinions among men may change, but the Orthodox tradition remains ever the same, no matter how few may follow it.

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 11:41:47 PM »

It is a handy exercise to go through, not only to give voice to arguments and study your normal opposition, but also as a method to critiquing your own style and methodology while you (back in normal mode) attack your about-face positions.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 07:36:02 AM »

I'm actually surprised a bit that really only like one or two people caught your switch there, GiC.  For the most part, people didn't seem to notice, which was strange - especially on the issue regarding the relationship with the catholics; you are normally fairly anti-Latin, and recently you had been advocating a "two-lung" position...

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 08:29:29 AM »

I invite others to do as I did, look at both sides of every issue, question that which you hold most dear, and argue with equal vehemence in utramque partem.

There's no need to. I'm always correct.
I don't see why everyone doesn't just agree with me now, and avoid the rush.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 08:31:33 AM »

Your being always right proves that I am always right, since I have always been always right and I know you have always been right.... right?

---------------------
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 08:50:44 AM »

Your being always right proves that I am always right, since I have always been always right and I know you have always been right.... right?
You're just messing with my head now, aren't you?

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 12:14:01 PM »

lol...I have to admit I was on the verge of passion myself. Tongue

God bless.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 12:42:39 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 12:17:23 PM »

lol...I have to admit I was on the verge of passion myself. Tongue

God bless.

Well, at least you held out for the week, that speaks well of you. Thanks for the good debate.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 12:17:42 PM by greekischristian » Logged

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006, 12:42:53 PM »

So what about the other arguments you made, like "gnostic dualism?"

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2006, 01:32:06 PM »

So what about the other arguments you made, like "gnostic dualism?"

Well, I dont think I'd go quite that far, but I do disagree with the term 'creatio ex nihilo' because it implies that something (i.e. nothingness) exists outside of God, rather I would submit that nothingness is encompassed by God, thus 'creatio ex deo,' God created the universe from Himself, even nothingness was created from God.

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2006, 02:52:23 PM »

Well, I dont think I'd go quite that far, but I do disagree with the term 'creatio ex nihilo' because it implies that something (i.e. nothingness) exists outside of God, rather I would submit that nothingness is encompassed by God, thus 'creatio ex deo,' God created the universe from Himself, even nothingness was created from God.

Okay...so I guess I didn't waste time writing this:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=8179.0

That's if you're interested Wink

God bless.

Mina

PS  Don't mind the last quote, although I found it rather interesting at the time...lol

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 03:34:12 PM »

GiC,

I would also like to point out the bizarre behavior I observed during this experiment:

-On multiple issues you were not alone in arguing your position. Your opposition would only target you and your position, never even mentioning the others on your 'side', betraying their intentions as people who will not listen to any argument you make, only reacting furiously.

In effect, you could find some of those posters on fire, and tell them how to 'stop, drop, and roll'. These people would argue with you that this was unneeded and incorrect, even as the flames burn off their hair and skin...

-I was especially entertained at how one of the people you were agreeing with for this experiment (we'll just call him Kallikantzaros777 to preserve his anonymity  Wink) persisting in arguing with you even though you were temporarily supporting his positions.

You even tried to give KKZ777 supporting data, yet his inability to argue logically hampered his potential of using this data for his profit.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2006, 05:14:44 PM »

-I was especially entertained at how one of the people you were agreeing with for this experiment (we'll just call him Kallikantzaros777 to preserve his anonymity  Wink) persisting in arguing with you even though you were temporarily supporting his positions.

You even tried to give KKZ777 supporting data, yet his inability to argue logically hampered his potential of using this data for his profit.

I would even like to point out that I, an opponent of the position of the above-mentioned Kallikantzaros, did knowingly and willingly provide for him the GiC blueprint to making an effective argument on the point, which was not only disregarded, but - unfortunately like a drunk 17-year old behind the wheel of a ferrari - was wrecked beyond recognition and repair.

---------------------
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2006, 01:02:42 AM »

you are normally fairly anti-Latin, and recently you had been advocating a "two-lung" position...

To be quite honest, I found the position articulated by GIC regarding the Catholic Church not far apart from the view usually attributed to the Ecumenical Patriarch. Of course, I've read the EP himself say some things (e.g., the Georgetown speech) that show the traditionalist critiques of him to be generalizations and exaggerations, but nonetheless the EP over the last couple generations has been certainly much more willing to compromise than most other Orthodox. On that point at least, I figured maybe GIC was just trying to be consistent and follow his Patriarch's lead... since he does seem to think Pat. Bartholomew (or leastwise the EP) the greatest thing since sliced bread. I might also say that it was only a week prior to that that someone was saying that all the issues had been resolved, and there is also the theory floating around that the schisms in Orthodoxy can only be healed by a Council. If he hadn't been so outrageous regarding the HIV/AIDS comment, I probably never would have thought twice about most of the stuff he was saying. Wink
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 01:04:38 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2006, 01:16:12 AM »

To be quite honest, I found the position articulated by GIC regarding the Catholic Church not far apart from the view usually attributed to the Ecumenical Patriarch. Of course, I've read the EP himself say some things (e.g., the Georgetown speech) that show the traditionalist critiques of him to be generalizations and exaggerations, but nonetheless the EP over the last couple generations has been certainly much more willing to compromise than most other Orthodox. On that point at least, I figured maybe GIC was just trying to be consistent and follow his Patriarch's lead... since he does seem to think Pat. Bartholomew (or leastwise the EP) the greatest thing since sliced bread. I might also say that it was only a week prior to that that someone was saying that all the issues had been resolved, and there is also the theory floating around that the schisms in Orthodoxy can only be healed by a Council. If he hadn't been so outrageous regarding the HIV/AIDS comment, I probably never would have thought twice about most of the stuff he was saying. Wink

Yeah, I realized that HIV/AIDS comment was going a bit too far only about the next day, it didn't really fit into the persona I was putting forth. As far as Rome, I am already quite liberal, I support the lifting of the anathemas, I believe we have more in common than separating us, and I believe that reunion is both possible and desirable with the right Pope and Patriarch (Though I dont think the Current Pope is the right one). But considering Rome Orthodox prior to this reunion, and advocating the 'two-lung' posistion in theory along with practice is probably going a bit too far.

serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2006, 01:12:49 AM »

unfortunately like a drunk 17-year old behind the wheel of a ferrari - was wrecked beyond recognition and repair.

This may sound crazy but this is the GREATEST thing i've read to date on this forum!  GO CLEVELAND!!!! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: