Author Topic: St. John 15 : 26 & The Filioque  (Read 1665 times)

James the Just

St. John 15 : 26 & The Filioque
« on: March 16, 2003, 03:34:18 PM »
Dear Brethern,

I felt it only fair to post this topic here as I did on the "other" forum today.I read this passage to cofirm that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father.The scripture quote basically reads the same in my NAB,NABS,Confraternity bibles as well as the KJV which I use here. Any comments?

>>>St. John 15:26 KJV = " But when the Comforter is come,whom I will send unto you from the Father,even the Spirit of truth,which proceedeth from the Father,he shall testify of me".

>>>St. John 15:26 NAB = " When the Advocate comes whom I will send you from the Father,the Spirit of truth that proceeds from the Father,he will testify to me".

In Christ,
James

Offline Nigula Qian Zishi

• Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
  • OC.net guru
  • 我美丽的妻子和我。
    • Orthodox Ecclesiology and The World
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
Re:St. John 15 : 26 & The Filioque
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2003, 03:38:45 PM »
Yes, if the filoque was true and the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Son too, you'd think that Jesus would have mentioned that he prceedeth from Him as well, no?
在基督
尼古拉
前执事
的博客

James the Just

Re:St. John 15 : 26 & The Filioque
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2003, 05:09:37 PM »
Brother Nicholas,

Yes, I agree, I feel that if it was within the power of the Son He would have gave it to the disciples  before His ascension. I just happened to bump into it when reading yesterdays OCA lectionary John 15:17-16:2 and have had many discussions regarding it.

In Christ,
James