OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 01:44:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Passage in Psalms  (Read 1213 times) Average Rating: 0
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« on: February 10, 2006, 09:55:15 AM »

I have been discussing a passage in Psalms with someone (online) and I'm not sure if it is a satisfactory translation.  Here is what I was sent.

Ask of me, and I will make the nations your inheritance, and the ends of the earth your possession. You shall break them with a rod of iron, and dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel
(Psalm 2:8-9).

I have two questions.

1.   Does anyone know of an online resource that might offer an acceptable Orthodox Translation?  I would consult my OSB, but it's at home and I'm at work?

2.    Is there any Orthodox online resource that offers scriptural discussion and/or insight into if it was ever discussed by an of the Church Fathers?  If someone could provide a link, I would be most appreciative.

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 10:47:11 AM »

Studying the scriptures when you should be working for your clients!

you are as bad as me!  I should study them more.

Sorry i have no link for your brother, but if you find one pass it on.

Dan

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 10:55:53 AM »

What's the discussion about, specifically?  ISTM that that's as good a translation as any in English...

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
SiviSokol

Jurisdiction: SOC

Tamburica u mom srcu

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 11:26:31 AM »

I think that Pedro is pretty much correct.  You could also look at the HTM Septuagint Psalter here:

http://pomog.org/index.html?http://pomog.org/psalter.shtml

As far as Orthodox commentary on the psalms, there really isn't much available online.  You might find something at one of Bp. Alexander's sites:

http://www.fatheralexander.org/page6.htm

or

http://www.holytrinitymission.org/index.php

The best resource would be Johanna Manley's compilation Grace for Grace:  The Psalter and the Holy Fathers (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0962253618/qid=1139585084/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-0721353-0545432?s=books&v=glance&n=283155).  This wouldn't help your current discussion, though.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 11:27:02 AM by SiviSokol » Logged
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 12:11:17 PM »

Hey, thanks guys.

Pedro,

The discussion is with regards to "biblical interpretation".  The individual who raised it gave the interpretation that the passage suggests we can pray for other nations to be placed at our disposal.

Also arguing that their are some "violent" suggestions in "Christian" scripture.

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
SiviSokol

Jurisdiction: SOC

Tamburica u mom srcu

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 12:46:33 PM »

Here is a quote from St. Augustine's commentary on Psalm 2 that might be of some assistance

7. "Ask of Me, and I shall give Thee the nations for Thine inheritance" (ver. 8 ). This has at once a temporal sense with reference to the Manhood which He took on Himself, who offered up Himself as a Sacrifice in the stead of all sacrifices, who also maketh intercession for us; so that the words, "ask of Me," may be referred to all this temporal dispensation, which has been instituted for mankind, namely, that the "nations" should be joined to the Name of Christ, and so be redeemed from death, and possessed by God. "I shall give Thee the nations for Thine inheritance," which so possess them for their salvation, and to bear unto Thee spiritual fruit. "And the uttermost parts of the earth for Thy possession." The same repeated, "The uttermost parts of the earth," is put for "the nations;" but more clearly, that we might understand all the nations. And "Thy possession" stands for "Thine inheritance."

8. "Thou shalt rule them with a rod of iron," with inflexible justice, and "Thou shall break them like a potter's vessel" (ver. 9); that is,"Thou shalt break" in them earthly lusts, and the filthy doings of the old man, and whatsoever hath been derived and inured from the sinful clay. "And now understand, ye kings"(ver. 10). "And now;" that is, being now renewed, your covering of clay worn out, that is, the carnal vessels of error which belong to your past life, "now understand," ye who now are "kings;" that is, able now to govern all that is servile and brutish in you, able now too to fight, not as "they who beat the air, but chasteningyour bodies, and bringing them into subjection." "Be instructed, all ye who judge the earth." This again is a repetition; "Be instructed" is instead of "understand; and" ye who judge the earth instead of ye kings.For He signifies the spiritual by "those who judge the earth." For whatsoever we judge, is below us; and whatsoever is below the spiritual man, is with good reason called "the earth;" because it is defiled with earthly corruption.
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 04:24:43 PM »

Thanks brale!

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
SiviSokol