OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 10:49:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ordination, marriage and priesthood  (Read 1743 times) Average Rating: 0
Krysostomos

Faith: catholic christian
Jurisdiction: Roman patriarchate

very eastern minded ...

« on: February 10, 2006, 03:42:32 AM »

Have read, that in the States in some eastern catholic jurisdictions it is possible for the priest to marry.
But isn´t this against the long eastern tradition, that the priest candidate must marry before the ordination?!?.Or not...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 03:44:44 AM by Krysostomos » Logged

"You may say I am a dreamer. But I am not the only one." John Lennon
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 06:18:42 AM »

I've met the son of a married Eastern Rite Catholic, but his father got married before ordination and the dispensation for his father to be ordained came directly from Rome.  I haven't heard of cases of Catholics of any rite being married after ordination, personally.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 07:05:07 AM »

I suspect that this more likely one of those things where people fail to describe Church practices accurately. A number of times I've seen Roman catholics claim that we allow our priests to marry and have had to explain that we allow married men to be ordained but we don't allow ordained priests to marry. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that the same is true re. Eastern Rite Catholics and that this is just woolly language or a misunderstanding.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 09:17:24 AM »

Yeah their discipline is similar to ours on this point.

A.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 09:49:38 PM »

Right now, there is a Roman cardinal in charge of this kind of disciplinary stuff who has let it be known that he is willing to look the other way when it comes to letting Eastern Catholic clergy get  married  before being ordained in North America.  So long as he is in charge of this stuff, they are probably okay on this.  When this cardinal dies or gives up his office, it might revert again to the way it was before.  That is, absolutely forbidding candidates for the priesthood to marry.  If it goes this way again, some will probably try a trick that has worked in the past.  It happened like this: Ukranian Catholic candidates for the priesthood used to get married, get ordained deacon, get transferred to the Ukraine where it was "legit" to be a married priest, get ordained to the priesthood there, and then be given "on loan"  to a North American diocese which had been agreed upon by all concerned in advance.  I don't know if other Eastern Catholics have resorted to similar means in the past.

James Bob

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
MarkosC

Faith: Patriarchate of Antioch
Jurisdiction: Greek/Melkite Catholic

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 04:30:43 PM »

It's not possible for a priest to marry, but it is possible for a married man to be ordained in the Eastern Catholic Churches and I know a few of them.  Sometimes they're just ordained here, sometimes they're ordained abroad.     

There are also married men (generally ex-Lutheran or Anglican/Episcopalian clergy) who have been ordained in the Roman Church.     

Lots of good details in a post on another board:
http://www.byzcath.org/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=001583
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 04:33:22 PM by MarkosC » Logged

O Lord although I desired to blot out
with my tears the handwriting of my many sins
And for the rest of my life to please Thee
through sincere repentance
Yet doth the enemy lead me astray as he wareth
against my sould with his cunning

O Lord before I utterly perish do Thou save me!
username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 06:08:32 AM »

FYI, a married deacon was just ordained to the priesthood in the Parma Eparchy of the Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Church.  The Slovak Eparchy (canadian equivalent to the Ruthenians in the usa) ordained a married man to the priesthood not too long ago.
The rules are the same.  A man must be married before he is ordained a deacon or a priest.   The Roman Catholic Church will ordained married men if they come over as Anglicans or other hi-protestant church ministers.  Something I find not fair to cradle Roman Catholics.

Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 01:34:23 PM »

"Right now, there is a Roman cardinal in charge of this kind of disciplinary stuff who has let it be known that he is willing to look the other way when it comes to letting Eastern Catholic clergy get  married  before being ordained in North America."

Where did you read this?  The Ban of 1929 was superceded by the the promulgation of the CCEO.  The particular law of each Eastern Catholic Church determines the regulations on the celibacy of clergy.  With the Byzantine Catholic Church ordaining a married man last Sunday every Byzantine jurisdiction in the US has resumed ordaining married men on US soil.  Cardinals have nothing to do with it.

Fr. Deacon Lance 

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 09:54:34 PM »

Where did you read this?  The Ban of 1929 was superceded by the the promulgation of the CCEO.  The particular law of each Eastern Catholic Church determines the regulations on the celibacy of clergy.  With the Byzantine Catholic Church ordaining a married man last Sunday every Byzantine jurisdiction in the US has resumed ordaining married men on US soil.  Cardinals have nothing to do with it.

I'm sorry Deacon Lance, but I have to insist on this.  I am sure of my information.  I heard it directly from the mouth of a prominent Eastern Catholic canonist and also read about it in an Eastern Catholic journal, which was complaining about the acrobatics needed to be ordained to the priesthood right into the 1990's.  CCEO rules on this do not apply in North America.  

Bob James

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: