OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 05:06:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The New Byzantium  (Read 1386 times) Average Rating: 0
bergschlawiner

Sarisan

« on: February 08, 2006, 01:15:09 PM »

The New Byzantium?
Does our time also lack its Byzantium? Or do we have our own Constantinople, just waiting to have its walls breached by the siege engines and cannons of the barbarians? Read on at
http://gatesofvienna.blogspot.com/2006/01/new-byzantium.html
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 03:33:54 PM »

Nice post/article; I would only say one thing, from the perspective of Orthodoxy: we were the Roman Empire until hundreds of years after we ceased to exist, when the French decided we were Byzantine.

So where is our Constantinople?  I don't think we have one city, but maybe our culture is the new Constantinople... who knows. 

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
DavidH
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 12:00:49 AM »

That was a very good link- thanks!
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 12:35:19 AM »

the secular, materialistic West in the northern hemisphere will never survive the next 100-200 years;
the next half millenium will be decided by China and the muslims;
the wild card is the southern hemisphere - probably where the hope for the long tem survival of Christianity lies
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 01:20:17 AM »

the secular, materialistic West in the northern hemisphere will never survive the next 100-200 years;
the wild card is the southern hemisphere - probably where the hope for the long tem survival of Christianity lies

Behold the glory of technology and marvel, today differs fundamentally from the political situation at any other time in the history of the world, the development of strong AI in the next 25 years will allow our people and society to weaken yet not our national dominance or power. No longer will humans be called to go out and defend ourselves, no longer will pride or spirit be the dominating factor, science and technology will rule the next millenium.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 01:24:11 AM »

Good observation.....Imagine somehow China being the savior of the world down the road after the 'west' has collapsed under moral relativism and a possible takeover by the islamist (already starting to see it in Europe). The Chinese have no problem stamping out fanaticism  of any kind and boy I wish I could see the day when the muslims do something to really piss off the Chinese and it all comes to a head.. Grin They won't get apologies and nice gestures like they do from the west; it could get real ugly with those two in the mix.

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 02:48:50 AM »

Woo-hoo!!! .....Aussie, Aussie, Aussie! Oi, oi, oi!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Bizzlebin
Theologian
High Elder

Faith: Orthodoxy

MonkBot, Go Forth!

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 02:51:09 AM »

Woo-hoo!!! .....Aussie, Aussie, Aussie! Oi, oi, oi!

I was thinking Antarctica, myself, but ok  Tongue

Fashions and opinions among men may change, but the Orthodox tradition remains ever the same, no matter how few may follow it.

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

OC.net

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 10:15:55 AM »

"I was thinking antartica..."

now THAT made me literally laughout loud!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: