OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 06:32:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Studying Patristic Theology in Greece?  (Read 2519 times) Average Rating: 0
Kristophoros

« on: February 07, 2006, 02:45:07 AM »

Anyone have a heads-up on some of the prime PHD departments to study Patristic Theology in Greece?
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 12:04:55 PM »

Anyone have a heads-up on some of the prime PHD departments to study Patristic Theology in Greece?

Well, I'd suggest either Athens or Thessaloniki, but neither of them are all that great, if you want to study patristics I would very strongly recommend Rome.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Kristophoros

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 12:44:02 PM »

Why?

What are the main institutions in Athens or Thessaloniki (Besides Aristotle Univ. and Univ of Athens)?  Why aren't they very good?
What makes Patristics in Rome better?  Which Univ. in Rome are you speaking about?
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 01:05:37 AM »

The big benefits to places like Thessaloniki are access to Orthodox scholars and some of the references, but otherwise Phd's are largely self-directed; Rome, on the other hand, has a better developed program (maybe because they've been allowed to develop it more thoroughly without the interruption of, say, Turkokrateia) and more resources (some of which were, er, pilfered from the East).  I know the same is true of studies of Liturgical Theology (my fav)... you can study in Thessaloniki (I don't think I'd ever go to Athens for this kind of stuff), but the Pontifical Institute (Orientalis, I think) is the #1 place to go, with the best scholars and largest research base.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Kristophoros

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 01:43:00 AM »

The big benefits to places like Thessaloniki are access to Orthodox scholars and some of the references, but otherwise Phd's are largely self-directed; Rome, on the other hand, has a better developed program (maybe because they've been allowed to develop it more thoroughly without the interruption of, say, Turkokrateia) and more resources (some of which were, er, pilfered from the East).  I know the same is true of studies of Liturgical Theology (my fav)... you can study in Thessaloniki (I don't think I'd ever go to Athens for this kind of stuff), but the Pontifical Institute (Orientalis, I think) is the #1 place to go, with the best scholars and largest research base.

I shall keep this in mind.  May Jesus Christ bless you.
Kristophoros

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 01:45:58 AM »

After a brief search on the web- I am now not sure whether you refer to the one in New York, Toronto or other...
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 01:57:30 AM »

After a brief search on the web- I am now not sure whether you refer to the one in New York, Toronto or other...

Oh, sorry - the one in Rome is the biggie for Liturgics.  I'd love to go study there someday, under the big names in Liturgical Theology.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 05:17:23 PM »

Another excellent choice if you don't want to go abroad is Catholic University in Washington DC.  Its an excellent school with some of the best patristic scholarship in the US. 

http://www.cua.edu/

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Ntinos
Σαλός
Elder

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 05:01:10 AM »

Being a Greek, I would recommend Thessaloniki for further theological studies. The university is not that great, but then again it's the second University in Greece, we can't expect too much from such a small budget country. I would recommend Thessaloniki because the Agion Oros is very close (3 hours with a car?) and you can have a more hands on approach with Orthodox theology via the monastic communities. After all, I have heard that the monks from the Monasteries in Agion Oros visit the theological schools once in a while in order to support the future theologians, which would increase your chance of meeting a more enlightened person.
And after all, you will be in Greece: sun, islands, beaches  Grin Grin Grin

serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 12:11:53 AM »

Thessaloniki will also help you find a placed to stay.  If you are going over the summer Athens pretty much says "good luck" on finding your own place.  For the regular school year you could find a dorm, but it doesn't come highly recomended.  Housing is way better in Thessaloniki in general, and especially over the summer. 

(I went to Athens this summer and know friends who went to Thessaloniki for the Greek programs)

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Kristophoros

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2006, 01:31:12 PM »

Being a Greek, I would recommend Thessaloniki for further theological studies. The university is not that great, but then again it's the second University in Greece, we can't expect too much from such a small budget country. I would recommend Thessaloniki because the Agion Oros is very close (3 hours with a car?) and you can have a more hands on approach with Orthodox theology via the monastic communities. After all, I have heard that the monks from the Monasteries in Agion Oros visit the theological schools once in a while in order to support the future theologians, which would increase your chance of meeting a more enlightened person.
And after all, you will be in Greece: sun, islands, beachesÂÂ  Grin Grin Grin

Which University in Thessaloniki?  A "University of Thessaloniki"?  If you know various PhD programs there, let me know if you would.  It has been difficult for me to find this out via web searches since most sites are either in Modern Greek (which I can't read) or the websites are plain not working.  I should probably just visit a Greek Church in the area and ask the Priest....  Nevertheless, thanks for the help, and please, do not suggest any more Roman Catholic Universities!!!  Angry
OrthodoxAndrew
Unworthy of being called Orthodox

Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Andrew the Apostle

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2006, 01:54:59 PM »

Do the Universities in Greece offer these programs in English?

"Do what you want in order to send me as soon as possible from this transient life to eternal life. I am Christ's slave, I follow Christ, for Christ I die that I may live with Him!" - St. John of Decapolis before his martyrdom at the hands of the Turkish Muslims.
Kristophoros

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2006, 02:08:30 PM »

I don't think so.  From what I understand, intense, 1-year courses in modern Greek are required (at least, I believe Univ. of Athens does)....
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2006, 05:29:27 PM »

University of Athens is 1 year of mandatory greek.  Unless you can test out of it.  If you can, then they'll let you take the course.  

The test is out of 10.  If you get a 6 or above you pass, and they'll let you take the course.  However, they MIGHT make you take 1 semester of Greek on top of what you're already taking.  But that's kind of rare, though not unheard of.  

If you don't pass the first time, its try try again system after that, up to 3 times.  So you might have to take more than 1 year.  

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Kristophoros

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2006, 07:49:14 PM »

University of Athens is 1 year of mandatory greek.  Unless you can test out of it.  If you can, then they'll let you take the course. ÂÂ

The test is out of 10.  If you get a 6 or above you pass, and they'll let you take the course.  However, they MIGHT make you take 1 semester of Greek on top of what you're already taking.  But that's kind of rare, though not unheard of. ÂÂ

If you don't pass the first time, its try try again system after that, up to 3 times.  So you might have to take more than 1 year. ÂÂ

I managed to see (from what I recall) at least the first part of this on their website... thanks for sharing.  Do you have any idea if Univ. of Thessaloniki has the same type of procedure?  Anyone else?
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2006, 07:51:26 PM »

Yes they do, i asked my friends who went there last summer.  They told me that its the same idea.  In fact, I know for a fact that its the same test... Wink

Thessaloniki does a much better job finding you housing though, although during the regular school year i've heard that Athens doesn't do a bad job.  

Are you looking to do regular school course-work or over the summer courses??  Because that would be a big difference.  let me know so I can give you more details.  

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Kristophoros

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2006, 08:08:55 PM »

First of all, may God bless you!  As you might imagine, it can be difficult for a wretched american man such as myself to get ahold of such treasure.

I am looking into their PhD/ higher Ed. program for Theology/ Patristics.  I would like to move there in Jan. '07, God willing.  I have been thinking of getting the TEFL certificate through Via Lingua (http://www.teflcorinth.com) while I study Greek before I may begin theological studies.  

If possible, I would also like to go there this summer to begin studying Greek if I am able to get credits transfered to my current graduate university (instead of taking Koine lessons through this school)... any suggestions on this?  Housing this summer?  Application process with Univ of Thessaloniki?  Housing next Jan/ Feb.?  Or any other info is welcome!

I hope this answers what you were trying to ask me.
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2006, 09:15:08 PM »

Yes this definately answers my questions.  

First of all let me say that Hellenic College has tons of contacts with these 2 schools and some of the information you might need.  I suggest you contact the Dean's office and ask.  They have a lot more ties to Thessaloniki than Athens.  I was the first person to go to Athens in like 10 years....so, yah.  www.hchc.edu

Summer courses:

Like I said.  Athens is great academically, but no housing.  Thessaloniki is OK academically, and they usually try to help out with housing.  If Hellenic helps you out then you're set, otherwise you will have to ask around.  You may be able to contact our Chaplain at the school, who's monastery is in Thessaloniki, who could house you if you want.  

Let me know if you want info on the Athens program and I can e-mail it to you, just PM me your information.

PHD/THD, etc.  :

I'm not sure how their programs are, but scholarships ARE AVAILABLE.  According to the students in Athens the scholarships are given out like candy.  So you would get a scholarship PLUS a stipend every month.  HOWEVER, remember Athens is one of THE MOST expensive cities in Europe, by our standards.  You're gonna be spending a lot, but the money's good.  

Thessaloniki also has scholarships, but I think they're more limited.  That doesn't mean you won't get them, just not the same amount probobly (of $$).  But you'll be spending less.

Housing in Athens during the SCHOOL YEAR is usually in one of their dorms, which are notoriously dirty and crazy.  You could get lucky and get set up in an apartment.  

Housing in Thessaloniki is cleaner and nicer ALL AROUND, and you could get housed at that monastery which is usually free food and nice accomidations.  

I HIGHLY RECOMEND you learning some greek before going there, otherwise you're going to have a tough time getting amalgamated.  Greeks are usually helpful at the schools. I had tons of people try to help me, and I was "amerikanaki" so hey...can't go wrong.  

Does this help at all??  PM me any other info you might want.  

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2006, 09:16:56 PM »

Personally I recommend Thessaloniki, because Athens will suck the life-force out of you.  And its just a nicer town.  People care and have time for you.  

Athens has no time for anyone or anything, including God... Wink Cheesy

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2006, 09:34:53 PM »

I read somewhere that if you are greek descent, you can get in for free but you gotta prove it. however I visited the greek consulate couple months ago and they said that its not really that expensive for foreigners so don't bother to do the test...which they make you do if you say you are of greek descent.

serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2006, 09:39:29 PM »

Yah i forgot to mention that.  The summer course is really cheap.

Athens = 340 EURO
Thessaloniki = 300 (or somewhere close, either way its way cheaper than Athens)

But this is only for Greek.  I'm pretty sure that Timos is right about the citizenship thing.  I know that any Greek citizens in Greece had school for free, so...

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Kristophoros

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2006, 05:27:47 PM »

Thank you for this info... I've been fairly busy, and have managed to give them a CALL BUT GOT REDIRECTED A FEW TIMES AND HAVE YET TO GET BACK TO IT... ILL BE IN TOUCH, AND GET BACK TO YOU ON THIS.  TAHNKS AGAIN FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2006, 05:47:03 PM »

I would suggest that you stop calling.  They are NEVER GOING TO PICK UP THE PHONE!!  I'm not kidding.  I would just make your plans and go there.  The registration period is at least a week.  So just show up that monday and register for the class.  

I'm going to get you the information for that monastery so that you can call them and ask if you can stay there for at least 1 month, if not for the initial week that you would need to figure things out.  

Do you want this information??  I'm going to try to PM you about this...

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2006, 02:48:27 AM »

I would suggest that you stop calling.  They are NEVER GOING TO PICK UP THE PHONE!!  I'm not kidding.

I have not heard a greater truth than that...  and of course they have no such thing as a voicemail either.  I must say that my experiences with Greece really have made me appreciate how organized and functional ASU is.  
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: