OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 04:44:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pointy Hats  (Read 700 times) Average Rating: 0
Justinian

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« on: February 06, 2006, 08:28:19 PM »

Greetings!

I've been pondering about this. The pointed hats they use in the Western Church such as in the Roman and Anglican hierarchy, are they an innovation or has the western church always used this clerical attire, even in Pre-Schism days. Ive seen some icons of the Council of Nicea, and Blessed Augustine of Hippo, and Saint Patrick, all of them shown wearing pointed hats, not pillar hats like as it is in the Eastern Church. These are relatively recent icons though and the one I have seen of these subjects further back, show them wearing nothing.

In XC,
Justinian

"All this indignation have I hurled, At the pretending part of the proud world. Who, swollen with selfish vanity devise: false freedoms, holy cheats, and formal lies, Over their fellow slaves to tyrannize." - John Wilmot
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 08:30:07 PM »

People didn't even wear clerical hats until relatively late.  As a rule, I'd assume "divergent practice" before I assumed "innovation" in matters liturgical.

Anastasios

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
theodore

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 10:31:27 PM »

These are relatively recent icons though and the one I have seen of these subjects further back, show them wearing nothing.

In XC,
Justinian
I would disagree with this statement.  The subjects of those early icons weren't shown wearing nothing, but normally were dipicted with figleaves.  Nudity just isn't that common in modern iconography.   Grin
Tags: head coverings vestments 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: