OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 10:28:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox prayers to St Jude??  (Read 2925 times) Average Rating: 0
Armando
Dead among the living

I gave up dreaming a long time ago...

« on: February 24, 2006, 08:15:57 PM »

Does anyone know any orthodox prayers to St Jude (Saint of lost/desperate causes).
I have found Roman Catholic ones on the internet but no orthdox. Is it ok to use
the Catholic prayers?

Thanks.

Ten years have passed, the girl I loved
is now a woman, but I am still a child...
-Sad-ending fairytale, Miltos Paschalidis
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: See of St. Mark

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 11:08:56 PM »

â€Â  Irini nem ehmot,

Is it ok to use
the Catholic prayers?

I haven't found any orthodox prayers to St. Jude, but you bring up an interesting question.  I take the view that prayer is prayer, there is no such thing as "Orthodox", "Catholic" or "Protestant" when it comes to prayer.  Prayer, afterall, is a dialogue with God.

Please pray (in any way you wish  Wink) for me.

Cephas 

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed."
-- Isaiah 53:5

"He who knows himself knows God"
-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 11:11:37 PM »

I agree with EA. The only thing I'd add is that you might want to be wary of some Protestant prayers which express some of their unorthodox Smiley understanding. the sama applies to Catholic prayers but much much less unless it deals with prayers to the immaculate conception, or prayers for people in purgatory.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 11:52:38 PM »

I agree with EA.
I think you mean "Cephas"....

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: See of St. Mark

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 12:02:21 AM »

â€Â  Irini nem ehmot,

All these Copts... they all look the same.  Cheesy

Cephas 

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed."
-- Isaiah 53:5

"He who knows himself knows God"
-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 01:19:09 AM »

opps, my bad. Sorry Cephas...I was amazed @ the wide scope of "EA" concerning this subject Smiley
Landon77
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Antiochian Western Orthodox in exile)

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006, 11:35:20 AM »

This is lifted from the GOA website:
 "June 19
Apolytikion:

First Tone

We know thee as a kinsman of Christ and we laud thee with sacred hymns and songs as a most steadfast Martyr who trampled on error and who courageously kept the Faith. As we celebrate today thy holy remembrance, we receive forgiveness of our sins and transgressions, O Jude, through thy holy prayers.
Kontakion:

First Tone

Sprung from a noble root, thou art risen before us, a branch bestowed by God, ever feeding the whole world upon the fruits of thy words, O eyewitness of God the Lord, O thou brother of our God, and Christ's all-wise herald, who hast taught the Lord's pure Orthodox Faith to all men, initiate of His grace.
Reading:

The Apostle Jude was of the choir of the Twelve, and by Luke was called Jude, the brother of James the Brother of God (Luke 6:16; Acts 1:13), and therefore also a kinsman of the Lord according to His humanity. But by Matthew (10:3), he is called Lebbaeus, surnamed Thaddaeus (he is not the Thaddaeus who healed the suffering of Abgar, as Eusebius says in his Eccl. Hist., 1:13; see Aug. 21). Saint Jude preached in Mesopotamia, Arabia, Idumea, and Syria, and, it is said, completed the path of his divine apostleship by martyrdom in Beirut in the year 80. Written after the destruction of Jerusalem by Titus, his is the last of the Catholic (General) Epistles to the believing Jews in the Diaspora. His name (a variant of Judah) means 'Praise.'"

"How stands your mighty god? My God is stronger than he."  -St. Boniface
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2006, 12:07:04 PM »

Brother Armando,   I thought you might want to take a look at this website  http://www.sspx.ca/Angelus/1986_July/Saint_Jude.htm

Although I am now Orthodox, I was brought up RC and have always had a fondness for St. Jude.  When I went off to college my father gave me a necklace with a St. Jude medal on it.  At first I was a bit offended that my father thought of me as a "hopeless case" but he assured me that I would want the intercessions of this great saint.  Although my father has been long deceased (may his memory be eternal) I will never forget his words.  He was a caring father to all his six children and a very devout catholic.  God bless you Armando.

Juliana
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: