OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 12:00:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 3249 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: March 14, 2003, 06:32:50 PM »

Friends,

Do you have any suggestions for how we can improve the site?

In Christ,

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2003, 09:39:17 PM »

How about increasing the number of females preferably in the 18-25 age bracket?

Life is just one disappointment after another.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2003, 01:02:35 AM »

Hahaha, lent my friend  Lips Sealed hahah

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2003, 01:18:59 AM »

Lent??? What, we are suppose curl up and cease existing because it is Lent? I don't get this one bit. You asked for suggestions and I gave a valid one. So much for trying to help make the site better.

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2003, 02:07:05 AM »

Are you mad?  I was only kidding you!  I was copying another poster who said the same thing on another thread!  Cheesy

Do you have a suggestion as to how we can get 18-35 year old women more interested in the board? http://forums.catholic-convert.com has lots of ladies posting.

Sorry if you didn't get that I was joking!

In Christ,

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2003, 11:11:17 AM »

Given the nature of fora and postings, there could be plenty of women who read here and don't post.  Some people may be female but you can't tell from their niks.  (I suspect that the old saw about the 'net being 10 percent female is no longer true and hasn't been for a good while).  In the exchange of ideas is the gender of the poster always needed to be known?  

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2003, 12:22:17 PM »

This reminds me of things the late Fr Patrick Arnold, a Catholic, wrote. He was into the 'men's movement' and Jungian stuff - his books included Wildmen, Warriors and Kings. Not conservative himself (regrettable), he still was open enough to note and say a lot of common-sense things, some of which were:

- Men don't like sissy religion.

- Some forms of Christianity - he specifically named Evangelical and 'Greek Orthodox' - are 'manly', appealing to men in a way sentimentalized mainstream liberal forms don't. (Interestingly, these manly forms aren't liberal like he was. Wonder if he ever realized that.)

Maybe this site's intellectual interest in Eastern Orthodoxy is just largely a 'guy thing'.

Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2003, 02:20:13 PM »

Serge<<Maybe this site's intellectual interest in Eastern Orthodoxy is just largely a 'guy thing'. >>

This, i.e., cyber, must be the "guy thing" aspect of Eastern Orthodoxy then.  Go into any Eastern Orthodox church, and whom do you mostly find at worship (other than the clergy, of course)?  WOMEN!!!  (of all ages, shapes, and sizes too, Sinjinsmythe)    Grin

Hypo-Ortho
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2003, 02:42:02 PM »

No I was not mad.  I am sorry if I missed your sarcasm.

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2003, 04:32:36 PM »

- Men don't like sissy religion.

- Some forms of Christianity - he specifically named Evangelical and 'Greek Orthodox' - are 'manly', appealing to men in a way sentimentalized mainstream liberal forms don't. (Interestingly, these manly forms aren't liberal like he was. Wonder if he ever realized that.)

Maybe this site's intellectual interest in Eastern Orthodoxy is just largely a 'guy thing'.

What is meant by "sissy" here? What makes a religion "Manly"?

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2003, 04:54:21 PM »

At the risk of sounding sexist, I think I have to agree with Hypo-Ortho.

Jumping on another tangent, why is it that at most of the OCA parishes I've attended, except for St. Vladimir's, the majority of the congregation are older folk? I may have brought up this particular question before, but for me it is a matter of concern.

What happens when this generation dies out? Will these parishes die with it? Tieing in to the recent demographics taken of the Orthodox in America, I really wonder if the Orthodox in America's growth rate is greater than that of the attrition rate.

There are some very knowledgble Orthodox on this board, and for that I am grateful, but we all know that the people who post here are more 'into' Orthodoxy than the average joe blow. At least that is my perception. I think it is a guy thing in that women are wired completely differently then men. A lot of the stuff I read on the internet involves big, pardon the expression, pissing contests, especially with those traditionalist groups like HOCNA. Ever notice that only guys write those articles or statements?

I guess men like to be the leader of the pack which is what you see them try to establish, hence why most posters are men.

Bobby
« Last Edit: March 15, 2003, 04:56:03 PM by -áo-¦-¦-Ç-é » Logged
The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2003, 05:44:22 PM »

Manly religion has hard edges to it; it's not soft and sentimental. Think stone altars, fasting and icons, not shag carpet, butterfly banners and Precious Moments cards. Fr Arnold and Thomas Day articulated that for me.

Hypo has a point that cyber magnifies the 'problem' of not enough women here. Cyber is a guy thing + non-girly religion (even though grandmotherly types do dominate actual church life) = all-male board.

Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2003, 10:57:18 PM »

Funny thing happened in thought to this tonight.

While at Divine Liturgy almost one half of the parishoners are over 50, at vigil its often only the under 50 crowd. Just tonight we had 5 young Russian ladies stop in for Vespers, so the majority of people at Vigil ended up being 20-somethings!

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2003, 12:33:59 AM »

Robert<<What happens when this generation dies out? Will these parishes die with it? Tieing in to the recent demographics taken of the Orthodox in America, I really wonder if the Orthodox in America's growth rate is greater than that of the attrition rate.>>

I wonder the same thing, but, ultimately I put it into God's hands if He wants Orthodoxy to grow or shrink in America.  Much, much more missiology must be done, IMHO, and cutting the cord of ethnic ghetto type Orthodoxy is a must also, I think.  Ignorance of the basics of Orthodoxy by so many now in advanced years is a concern, as well as a stubborn unwillingness to learn and change among some.  Where adult education has been a minor concern (or not even thought of) must be put on the front burner NOW, not tomorrow, but NOW!

Hypo-Ortho
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2003, 03:36:30 AM »

How about increasing the number of females preferably in the 18-25 age bracket?

Ditto - I'll settle for 21-30 though.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2003, 03:15:53 PM »

Manly religion has hard edges to it; it's not soft and sentimental. Think stone altars, fasting and icons, not shag carpet, butterfly banners and Precious Moments cards. Fr Arnold and Thomas Day articulated that for me.

Hypo has a point that cyber magnifies the 'problem' of not enough women here. Cyber is a guy thing + non-girly religion (even though grandmotherly types do dominate actual church life) = all-male board.

What makes icons "Hard edged" or manly?  Shag carpet is sissy? Or is the just personal taste? (note: I have no shag carpet personally).  I don't think this is a binary situation here either.

How do you figure that cyber is a "guy thing"?  I know plenty of women on line including my 80 y.o. mother.  This isn't an all-male board anyway, maybe not 50/50 but not all XY, at least by my reading of the membership list.

Ebor

The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2003, 03:39:22 PM »

Ebor,

I don't claim to articulate it well - read Patrick Arnold and Thomas Day. They can.

Jumping on another tangent, why is it that at most of the OCA parishes I've attended, except for St. Vladimir's, the majority of the congregation are older folk?

Also true of most Byzantine Catholic churches. I think it's because they belong to a generation for whom and come from a time when community - family, neighborhood, ethnic - ties were much stronger, which is why they had the guts to stick with a church that is proudly out of the American mainstream. Not so the younger folks. They have assimilated.

I may have brought up this particular question before, but for me it is a matter of concern.

What happens when this generation dies out? Will these parishes die with it? Tieing in to the recent demographics taken of the Orthodox in America, I really wonder if the Orthodox in America's growth rate is greater than that of the attrition rate.

I think most of them probably will die out, with the little windfall of converts saving EOxy in America from extinction.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2003, 03:40:39 PM by Serge » Logged

Tags: OC.net Features 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: