OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 07:41:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holy Saturday Vesperal Liturgy  (Read 1428 times) Average Rating: 0
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« on: February 03, 2006, 04:14:16 PM »

I heard that some Goarch Parishes read 3 Prophesies out of the 15 OT Prophesies of Christ's resurrection..
why? To cut down the Time of the Liturgy?

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 05:16:24 PM »

I heard that some Goarch Parishes read 3 Prophesies out of the 15 OT Prophesies of Christ's resurrection..
why? To cut down the Time of the Liturgy?

(Any parish for that matter) because their liturgical wimps?  We all are to some degree.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 05:42:19 PM »

The fact of the matter is that everyone does some form of shortening of liturgical services (just don't tell anyone in ROCOR that, it can cause heartattacks).  My complaint with the way things are usually butchered in modern parish usage is that the wrong things are kept and the right things omitted.   
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 08:24:48 PM »

Well, if I remember correctly, the 3 that are chosen are the ones that are done at the Patriarchate... I think the expectation is that the monks will do all, but the parishes won't.  I think it goes to the belief that there are different needs between the parish and monastery churches.
In this case, the 3 readings that are chosen are the best of the 13 or whatever there are... so it didn't come about by haphazard practice or Liturgical butchering, just a response to the pastoral needs.  I think most of us in our zeal would like to see longer services with less (or nothing) cut - but the fact of the matter is that, pastorally, it is probably not what is in the best interests of the people.  For some groups, OT readings were cut; for others, the method of chanting was changed/cut.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 12:00:11 PM »

ahhh..I see
Thanks.

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: