OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 09:44:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Homeschool VS Public School  (Read 66095 times) Average Rating: 1
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #495 on: May 11, 2013, 10:04:44 PM »

If I were home-schooled I would not be posting here. I am indebted to public education.

Not me.  Public school left me blind in this world.   I learned the important stuff myself.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 10:16:35 PM by yeshuaisiam » Logged

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #496 on: May 11, 2013, 10:12:57 PM »

Public school was once a good thing, but about 25 years ago it began a nose dive and hasn't taken any corrective adjustment.

That sounds about right. About 25 years ago was when my family gave up on public schools. It was home-school or private schools after that (lest anyone think I was an over-privileged brat for going to private school, we only went to ones that were willing to give our family's children free tuition as one of the perks of my mom teaching for them).

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #497 on: May 11, 2013, 11:29:00 PM »

If I were home-schooled I would not be posting here. I am indebted to public education.

Not me.  Public school left me blind in this world.   I learned the important stuff myself.

Perhaps so.
My statement nevertheless stands.

Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #498 on: May 13, 2013, 02:06:42 PM »

Same here, I'm an autodidact as well.

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #499 on: May 13, 2013, 03:19:02 PM »

Only thing public school taught me is how to cheat better and pass with the least amount of effort possible. In other words, how to be an adult  Wink

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #500 on: May 14, 2013, 12:48:19 PM »

Only thing public school taught me is how to cheat better and pass with the least amount of effort possible. In other words, how to be an adult  Wink

LOL.  I can almost assure you, you'll never use Beowulf in your future life.   That teach those types of lessons more than cooking, home repairs, etc.   
The blind leading the blind.

TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #501 on: May 16, 2013, 10:21:15 AM »

LOL.  I can almost assure you, you'll never use Beowulf in your future life.   That teach those types of lessons more than cooking, home repairs, etc.   
In day to day survival, youre right, you won't.

BUt, if you want to live, and truly live, you need to be able to appreciate fine culture, of which Beowulf is part.

SCREW BON JOVI!
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #502 on: May 16, 2013, 10:27:38 AM »

I frequently reference Beowulf while fighting dragons.  It is a much more handy reference book than St. George and the Dragon, I have found.  Wink

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Leave that no-account Oogie-Boogie out of this!

« Reply #503 on: May 16, 2013, 11:08:41 AM »

My 4-year-old already knows about Beowulf. All it took was a (dog) character by that name in one of his favourite shows. He's still in the monster-slaying stage of the imagination. In a couple of years he'll be starting on Homer.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #504 on: May 16, 2013, 11:53:05 AM »

Our family has done both home school and public school. (The local parochial schools aren’t an option due to expense.) While our oldest has thrived in public school, we are considering returning to homeschool not because of a dearth of education but because we do not like the approaches and attitudes we have encountered in the public school system.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #505 on: May 16, 2013, 12:18:21 PM »

but because we do not like the approaches and attitudes we have encountered in the public school system.

What approaches?

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #506 on: May 16, 2013, 12:43:13 PM »

but because we do not like the approaches and attitudes we have encountered in the public school system.

What approaches?

Some of it is tied directly into our state educational policies (The USA’s State of Louisiana), which are constantly being rewritten, a local hyperfocus on technology and standardized testing rather than learning and — oddly enough — a general sense of child unfriendliness.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

stpaulphilip

« Reply #507 on: May 16, 2013, 04:53:28 PM »

I went through public school and the only thing I enjoyed were the extra curricular activities, such as track, jazz band and a couple other things.  When I got into college I realized that my writing sucked horribly and that public school taught me how to be a "worker". 

We homeschool our children.  My 11 year old is incredibly smart; he scored in the 99th percentile in the Iowa Test of Basic Skills.  That's 99th percentile nation wide.  My 7 year old has taken his first ITBS and we will get the results soon.  He is doing amazing as well.  My four year old can read and write, and has a multitude of historical and geographical facts memorized.  We use a classical education method. 

In short, public school SUCKS.  It is like sending your precious lambs to the wolves to learn how to be a secular and godless idiot.  I hear so many Christian say "how do we keep from losing our kids to the culture when we send them to school?"  How about take them out, dumbass!  That's like saying "I hope my daughter doesn't become a stripper" but you're sending her to pole dancing school.  People need to wake up and do the right thing, if they are capable and their situation permits. 

Isaiah 5:20 "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!"
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #508 on: May 16, 2013, 06:36:05 PM »

In short, public school SUCKS.  It is like sending your precious lambs to the wolves to learn how to be a secular and godless idiot.

Ninety percent of the people in the United States go to public school.

If you have such a ridiculous attitude about it, and constantly insult it, do you think that makes any kids want to do better?

You deserve what you get.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #509 on: May 16, 2013, 06:37:47 PM »

What approaches?

Having lots of different kinds of kids together. My guess is he'd like to go back to the days when the rich suburbs got everything and there was no busing because you didn't want to have to be with 'those' people.  Roll Eyes

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
stpaulphilip

« Reply #510 on: May 16, 2013, 06:47:17 PM »

In short, public school SUCKS.  It is like sending your precious lambs to the wolves to learn how to be a secular and godless idiot.

If you have such a ridiculous attitude about it, and constantly insult it, do you think that makes any kids want to do better?

What we are ALL getting, BIRO, is a mass of stupid humanity that are "consumers" who vote for people like Obama and care more about the Khardasiansn (SP?) than they do what's happening right beneath their noses in our country. 

What do you mean I deserve what I get?  I got it GOOD and am blessed.  I have a beautiful wife and four beautiful and intelligent children, and do you support the communist brainwashing that happens in public schools?  Watch "IndoctriNation"; a good commentary on the state of public schools. They are liberal and communist brainwashing machines. Do some historical study of the creation of the public school system. And don't insult me unless you would do it to my face. My attitude is not ridiculous and I deserve what God gives me, not what you think I should get.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 06:56:30 PM by stpaulphilip » Logged

Isaiah 5:20 "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!"
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #511 on: May 16, 2013, 07:01:46 PM »

What approaches?

Having lots of different kinds of kids together. My guess is he'd like to go back to the days when the rich suburbs got everything and there was no busing because you didn't want to have to be with 'those' people.  Roll Eyes
I'd much rather my boy play with poor black kids and white trash (that's our neighborhood, btw) than be taught to be a good bourgeois drone. But sometimes you get a shitty school system in a state that's run by a reactionary nincompoop who wants to defund poor districts for performing poorly and you have to make decisions that are best for your family.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 07:02:52 PM by Agabus » Logged

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #512 on: May 16, 2013, 11:18:58 PM »

...is a mass of stupid humanity that are "consumers" who vote for people like Obama

Yeah, curse those less fortunate people who voted in their best interest for Obama opposed to a multi-billionare with literally no understanding of poverty or concern for anyone other than himself and his business associates who entirely dismissed the poor as already having a "comfort net" like Romney  Roll Eyes

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #513 on: May 17, 2013, 12:44:22 AM »

Thanks Biro. This was worth saying. Public education is locally controlled and the quality varies. Agabus' post below yours reflects that. There are areas where it is quite poor and others where it is quite good and a lot in between.

Overall I think public education teachers do a lot better job than members of the House of Representatives in the USofA. Each House member costs 3,460,000 per year (including their staff: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BUDGET-2013-DB/xls/BUDGET-2013-DB-2.xls) for doing almost nothing. Teachers play a much more important role than do-nothings.

I also have some thoughts on the limitation of home schooling, probably OK for K-6 in the USofA, but a limitation beyond that. It is not worth arguing given that it would negate long standing beliefs of those who are complete in their own environment but do not recognize the possibility that their children would have a more rewarding life in a different environment. Environment includes career and diversity of associations.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #514 on: May 17, 2013, 01:20:17 AM »

Over 90% of people have sex prior to marriage.  That doesn’t make it right just like what you said doesn’t really add up to much of a statement in comparison to what he posted.

I don’t think it is ridiculous at all.  Kids don’t want to do any better for a lot of reasons which have nothing to do with his point of view.

Homeschooled kids who are more productive, have better attitudes and actually learn something?  I agree, he deserves what he gets.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #515 on: May 17, 2013, 01:21:09 AM »

What approaches?

Having lots of different kinds of kids together. My guess is he'd like to go back to the days when the rich suburbs got everything and there was no busing because you didn't want to have to be with 'those' people.  Roll Eyes

Then you didn't pay much attention to what he was actually saying.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #516 on: May 17, 2013, 01:23:13 AM »

...is a mass of stupid humanity that are "consumers" who vote for people like Obama

Yeah, curse those less fortunate people who voted in their best interest for Obama opposed to a multi-billionare with literally no understanding of poverty or concern for anyone other than himself and his business associates who entirely dismissed the poor as already having a "comfort net" like Romney  Roll Eyes

First off, this isn't the politics forum so we all should be careful.  Second, you have no idea what you are talking about.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #517 on: May 17, 2013, 01:25:38 AM »

If a child is special-needs, a parent needs a lawyer to interact with the school system.  School systems have too many special-needs children and they tend to fall through the cracks.

Most parents lack the patience to home school special-needs children.

I knew a young lady who didn't want to go to school.  Her mother tried homeschooling her.  The child was very bright except she didn't want to relate to the children in public school.  Now that she's 16 (I think compulsory education in MD ends at 16 rather than 18), she's no longer required to attend school.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #518 on: May 17, 2013, 01:34:25 AM »

What approaches?

Having lots of different kinds of kids together. My guess is he'd like to go back to the days when the rich suburbs got everything and there was no busing because you didn't want to have to be with 'those' people.  Roll Eyes
I'd much rather my boy play with poor black kids and white trash (that's our neighborhood, btw) than be taught to be a good bourgeois drone. But sometimes you get a shitty school system in a state that's run by a reactionary nincompoop who wants to defund poor districts for performing poorly and you have to make decisions that are best for your family.

+1 - I went to public school with blacks (who were in the majority) and Jews.  I received an excellent education from elementary school to high school.  I was troubled when "No Child Left Behind" was enacted.  Public school has become a numbers game - how much the CEOs earn and how well the children perform on the tests.  Every year, musical chairs is played by the principals even at schools that do well.  My son has been to 3 different elementary schools due to his needs.  I can't say anything since the school has pre-determined the outcome at each "meeting."  As a result, the school no longer informs me about meetings and deliberately sends correspondence to an address where I never lived (his mother used to live at the address but not recently).  I could care less since it's not worth $$$$$ to have an attorney respond to every part of my son's educational plan.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 01:41:23 AM by SolEX01 » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #519 on: May 17, 2013, 01:45:11 AM »

When a valued teacher in a special-needs program at a middle school is placed on administrative leave, the following occurs:

The Maryland State Department of Education plans to launch an investigation into a complaint filed by the parents of nine New Windsor Middle School students earlier this week, department spokesman Bill Reinhard said Wednesday.

Parents filed a complaint May 13 with the Maryland State Department of Education division of special education, alleging that their children were neglected for seven school days when a special education teacher was placed on administrative leave without notification to parents.

The parents’ complaint alleges nine violations of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) between May 2 and May 12. The allegations include that the absence of a qualified special education teacher in the classroom led to no academic instruction for four days,

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/carroll/westminster/ph-new-windsor-complaint-20130514,0,5030053.story
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #520 on: May 17, 2013, 01:49:25 AM »

A thread has been created in the Politics board to continue the discussion between Kerdy and JamesR.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,51516.msg924409.html#msg924409
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #521 on: May 17, 2013, 02:51:36 AM »

A thread has been created in the Politics board to continue the discussion between Kerdy and JamesR.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,51516.msg924409.html#msg924409

I don't subscribe to the politics portion.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #522 on: May 17, 2013, 02:55:17 AM »

What approaches?

+1 - I went to public school with blacks (who were in the majority) and Jews.  I received an excellent education from elementary school to high school.  I was troubled when "No Child Left Behind" was enacted.  Public school has become a numbers game - how much the CEOs earn and how well the children perform on the tests.  Every year, musical chairs is played by the principals even at schools that do well.  My son has been to 3 different elementary schools due to his needs.  I can't say anything since the school has pre-determined the outcome at each "meeting."  As a result, the school no longer informs me about meetings and deliberately sends correspondence to an address where I never lived (his mother used to live at the address but not recently).  I could care less since it's not worth $$$$$ to have an attorney respond to every part of my son's educational plan.

Recently, I have seen teachers moved from one subject to another to teach.  When I asked why, the teachers said they move to different classes every couple of years.  It is comforting to know a Math teacher is teaching English and an English teacher is teaching Science while the Science teacher is off teaching something else entirely.
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #523 on: May 17, 2013, 03:10:59 AM »

I had a good laugh over this.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 03:11:25 AM by Romaios » Logged
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #524 on: May 17, 2013, 03:32:28 AM »

This is fantastic!
stpaulphilip

« Reply #525 on: May 17, 2013, 06:46:54 AM »

Oh my goodness.  It's a worthless cause, trying to discuss things with people who support public day prison. 

We don't need no education.  We don't need no thought control. 

I like turtles. 

Arachne
Protokentarchos

« Reply #526 on: May 17, 2013, 07:13:59 AM »

Oh my goodness.  It's a worthless cause, trying to discuss things with people who support public day prison. 

Some of us live in countries that invest time, effort and respect into their public school system. The Disunited States are not the whole world, thankfully.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #527 on: May 17, 2013, 09:17:36 AM »

Schools here also should do it.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ambatzoglou

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #528 on: May 21, 2013, 01:48:15 AM »

We don't need no education.  We don't need no thought control. 

I like turtles. 

You're absolutely on the money here, stpaulphilip.
ambatzoglou

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #529 on: May 21, 2013, 01:51:24 AM »

Some of us live in countries that invest time, effort and respect into their public school system. The Disunited States are not the whole world, thankfully.

I thought we went over this already? First, no need to bash my nation, thanks. Second no matter where you live a custom tailored education will be of more benefit than "one size fits all" Homeschooling (in any country) will be a superior education 95% of the time. End of story. But you probably STILL haven't read the stats, have you?
Arachne
Protokentarchos

« Reply #530 on: May 21, 2013, 03:12:20 AM »

Oh my goodness.  It's a worthless cause, trying to discuss things with people who support public day prison.  

I thought we went over this already? First, no need to bash my nation, thanks. Second no matter where you live a custom tailored education will be of more benefit than "one size fits all" Homeschooling (in any country) will be a superior education 95% of the time. End of story. But you probably STILL haven't read the stats, have you?

Custom tailored clothing is better than off-the-rack as well, but tailors and seamstresses aren't becoming a superworkforce again any time soon.

I don't need to bash your country's education system; you lot have been doing a great job of that. I just don't believe that elitism is the answer to the problem. Yes, I read the stats, get over it and do some light reading of your own instead:

What Americans Keep Ignoring About Finland's School Success
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 03:12:55 AM by Arachne » Logged

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #531 on: May 21, 2013, 09:32:42 AM »

Oh my goodness.  It's a worthless cause, trying to discuss things with people who support public day prison.  

Custom tailored clothing is better than off-the-rack as well, but tailors and seamstresses aren't becoming a superworkforce again any time soon.

I don't need to bash your country's education system; you lot have been doing a great job of that. I just don't believe that elitism is the answer to the problem. Yes, I read the stats, get over it and do some light reading of your own instead:

People keep posting this (I've read it at least twice) but the article doesn't take into account that Finland has a bit less than five and a half million people.  The US has over 300 million.  Finland is very homogenous.  79% of them belong (at least nominally) to the same Church. 
Arachne
Protokentarchos

« Reply #532 on: May 21, 2013, 09:46:02 AM »

People keep posting this (I've read it at least twice) but the article doesn't take into account that Finland has a bit less than five and a half million people.  The US has over 300 million.  Finland is very homogenous.  79% of them belong (at least nominally) to the same Church.

Actually, it does, in the very last section.

Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #533 on: May 21, 2013, 09:52:35 AM »

Paragraphs seven and eight from the bottom.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #534 on: May 21, 2013, 10:56:45 AM »

Paragraphs seven and eight from the bottom.

Clearly you have to read an article three times sometimes...  Mea culpa.

Though, rereading it has brought up a few more points for me.  First, they seem to only be taking foreign birth to be a marker of heterogeneity.  I do not think this is correct.  Of those three hundred million Americans, we are a diverse lot, even those of us born in America to American parents with primarily American grandparents.  Southerners and Northerners are different.  This goes for blacks and whites.  Illegal immigrants are different than legal immigrants and are still different from the children of immigrants - both legal and illegal.  Yuppies and country folk.  Midwesterners and West Coasters.  I have family throughout the US and I have met many foreigners who seem more familiar to me than relatives in Massachusetts (or members from a liberal city yet still Midwestern like Madison, WI.)

Since Finland has a population the size of some US states has anyone compared their rates to specific states rather than US-nationwide rates?  Helsinki (the capital) has 1.3 mil people in it's metro area.  My hometown has a metro area population of 877k.  Not a whole lot less and we aren't even the capital of our state.  Chicago (not the largest city in the US) has over 9 mil in their metro area - much more than the entirety of Finland.  My point is that I am sure you can find school districts in the US that match Finland's achievements.  Expecting a country of 300 mil to match a country of 5 mil is absurd.  Now, start pulling out similar sized states and we might see some correlations. 

The most important point of the article, is not the "eekwalitie" of the schools, but the focus.  Stpaulphillip's complaint that the publik skules in the US make you into an efficient worker is spot on.  The focus is still stuck in the industrial revolution more than a century ago.  Finland has changed the focus of their schools:

What's more, despite their many differences, Finland and the U.S. have an educational goal in common. When Finnish policymakers decided to reform the country's education system in the 1970s, they did so because they realized that to be competitive, Finland couldn't rely on manufacturing or its scant natural resources and instead had to invest in a knowledge-based economy.

As long as Americans are more interested in Kim Kardashian's latest naughty-tape or those two Brokeback Mountain brothers on The Voice than they are their sinking ship - we are pretty much sunk.  We are busily creating yet another generation of stupid people.  These sorts of problems become systemic.  God only knows how we will fix ourselves, but it is not going to come from the top down.  The people need to re-Christianize and educate themselves.  They need to create a new culture of excellence.  Until then, enjoy the decline.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #535 on: May 21, 2013, 06:37:27 PM »

As long as Americans are more interested in Kim Kardashian's latest naughty-tape or those two Brokeback Mountain brothers on The Voice than they are their sinking ship - we are pretty much sunk.  We are busily creating yet another generation of stupid people.   These sorts of problems become systemic.  God only knows how we will fix ourselves, but it is not going to come from the top down.  The people need to re-Christianize and educate themselves.  They need to create a new culture of excellence.  Until then, enjoy the decline.

Yup
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #536 on: May 21, 2013, 11:35:44 PM »

There is this Amish proverb - "Those without children know best how to raise them".

I just wonder how many here are arguing for the public education system who do not have children.  That would be an interesting piece of knowledge to obtain.

The proverb is so true.  I can't count how many people I have seen questioning parents on issues such as "spanking", "homeschooling", etc., when they do not have children of their own. 

Just for you anit-homeschoolers, we are going to a homeschool graduation this weekend.  Several of the children have full scholarship to SMU in Dallas, TX.

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #537 on: May 22, 2013, 01:19:46 AM »

There is this Amish proverb - "Those without children know best how to raise them".

I just wonder how many here are arguing for the public education system who do not have children.  That would be an interesting piece of knowledge to obtain.

The proverb is so true.  I can't count how many people I have seen questioning parents on issues such as "spanking", "homeschooling", etc., when they do not have children of their own. 

Just for you anit-homeschoolers, we are going to a homeschool graduation this weekend.  Several of the children have full scholarship to SMU in Dallas, TX.

It must be a substandard university. Wink
Arachne
Protokentarchos

« Reply #538 on: May 22, 2013, 03:05:01 AM »

Guess the Amish model doesn't provide for childless teachers.

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #539 on: May 22, 2013, 03:59:03 AM »

Guess the Amish model doesn't provide for childless teachers.
Teachers teach.  Parents raise children.  Believe me, I know the difference and I want to teach as my second career.  Just because you are around a person as an occupation does not mean you know what is best for that child.  You certainly can help, and most would appreciate the hand, but you are not that child’s parent and unless you have your own children and have the experience to back up your comments, one should refrain from making those comments.  I don’t tell pilots how to fly because I have been on a plane.  Teachers shouldn’t tell parents how to raise children or by default know how to raise children because they are around kids doing their job of teaching. 
Tags: school homeschool 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: