OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 08:51:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Homeschool VS Public School  (Read 67513 times) Average Rating: 1
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #585 on: May 30, 2013, 09:16:06 AM »

The other big change coming to public education is the Common Core Curriculum. This nationwide program will be used in 45 states. One of the saddest and most frightening goals of this new program is to eliminate a large percentage of literature from English classes and to replace it with fact-based reading material. Any observant bystander would question the wisdom in such a significant change when one realizes math, history, and science provide plenty of opportunity to become a proficient fact-based reader. But it is only in English class, where one has the luxury of reading literature that spans the literate time period of man's history. And it is only when one is taught to analyze the writings of various writers through the ages and from various cultures that one can fine tune the critical thinking skills a person needs to survive in today's world.

One other important side note, more emphasis will be placed on being a good citizen of the world versus a patriotic citizen of our nation. We don't have one world government yet, but the curriculum seems to be aiming for that goal. Parents beware.

The students need to do fact-based reading in English classes because Science and History classes are no longer fact-based and math doesn't have any letters (because, you know, no one uses algebra after high school...).  Of course, the "facts" being taught will just be more political agenda just like Science and History.

"Give me four years to teach your children and the seed that I have sown will never be uprooted." - V.I. Lenin.

BTW, tell your son that the only way he is going to get any real reading in is if he does it himself.  When I was in High School we were supposed to be reading "My Antonia" but I always kept my copy of Mercenary by Mike Hoare just low enough on my desk that I could get some real education in!   Wink

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #586 on: May 30, 2013, 11:20:53 AM »

(because, you know, no one uses algebra after high school...)

Are you joking? Every trip to the grocery store seems to be an algebra test that has to be solved on the spot in my head. And as their (the grocery store) gimmicks get more complex, I will one day not be able to solve the equations in my head in order to find the break even point.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #587 on: May 30, 2013, 11:41:11 AM »

(because, you know, no one uses algebra after high school...)

Are you joking? Every trip to the grocery store seems to be an algebra test that has to be solved on the spot in my head. And as their (the grocery store) gimmicks get more complex, I will one day not be able to solve the equations in my head in order to find the break even point.

Wink

I haven't used algebra yet today but the day is young!

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #588 on: May 30, 2013, 11:44:28 AM »

BTW, tell your son that the only way he is going to get any real reading in is if he does it himself.  When I was in High School we were supposed to be reading "My Antonia" but I always kept my copy of Mercenary by Mike Hoare just low enough on my desk that I could get some real education in!   Wink
Never read "My Antonia," but I always felt that the public education system makes students read books that are either objectively awful or are worthy but beyond the full comprehension of the young. The time to read is wasted on the youthful.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #589 on: May 30, 2013, 08:18:02 PM »

One other important side note, more emphasis will be placed on being a good citizen of the world versus a patriotic citizen of our nation. We don't have one world government yet, but the curriculum seems to be aiming for that goal. Parents beware.

I would rather have my children be good citizens of the world than patriotic citizens of our nation.  Good citizens of the world go extreme by joining the Peace Corps.  Patriotic citizens of our nation go extreme by becoming nationalistic nutjobs and start world wars.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #590 on: May 31, 2013, 12:40:49 AM »

I would rather have my children be good citizens of the world than patriotic citizens of our nation.  Good citizens of the world go extreme by joining the Peace Corps.  Patriotic citizens of our nation go extreme by becoming nationalistic nutjobs and start world wars.
Funny, I have always seen it the other way around.  The ones with a "one world order" mentality are the ones who kill the most.  Those who want a peacful nation and be left alone are usually the last to fight and its usually the fighting the ones with the world order mentality.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 12:42:23 AM by Kerdy » Logged
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #591 on: May 31, 2013, 04:30:52 AM »

Do you agree that if you need to have your foot amputated, you go to a doctor? Or not?
It depends. There was a case here of a doctor who amputated the wrong leg at the local hospital. He was not fired or anything.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #592 on: May 31, 2013, 09:08:10 AM »

I would rather have my children be good citizens of the world than patriotic citizens of our nation.  Good citizens of the world go extreme by joining the Peace Corps.  Patriotic citizens of our nation go extreme by becoming nationalistic nutjobs and start world wars.
Funny, I have always seen it the other way around.  The ones with a "one world order" mentality are the ones who kill the most.  Those who want a peacful nation and be left alone are usually the last to fight and its usually the fighting the ones with the world order mentality.

The only people I know who talk about "one world orders" are conspiracy theorists who are convinced the government is watching them with black helicopters.  Those are the people that are nuts IMHO.  Nations are just artificial constructs.  I believe love for our fellow man should trancend nations borders.

Tamara
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #593 on: May 31, 2013, 09:54:36 AM »

The only people I know who talk about "one world orders" are conspiracy theorists who are convinced the government is watching them with black helicopters.  Those are the people that are nuts IMHO.  Nations are just artificial constructs.  I believe love for our fellow man should trancend nations borders.

The nebulous phrase of " citizens of the world" will not  give you the utopian fantasy you dream about. There will always be laws and there will always be governments but freedom as you know it will probably be a distant memory. Freedom is precious and easily lost. I spent a few weeks in communist Russia during the 1980s. I came home loving this country even more than when I left. I also saw this country with the same view my Syrian and Italian immigrant grandparents had when I returned home.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #594 on: May 31, 2013, 09:59:38 AM »

A nation-wide curriculum is not going to bring about the NWO. Many countries have them; in fact, I struggled for the longest time to wrap my mind around the notion of a country that doesn't.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #595 on: May 31, 2013, 10:17:19 AM »

The nebulous phrase of " citizens of the world" will not  give you the utopian fantasy you dream about. There will always be laws and there will always be governments but freedom as you know it will probably be a distant memory. Freedom is precious and easily lost. I spent a few weeks in communist Russia during the 1980s. I came home loving this country even more than when I left. I also saw this country with the same view my Syrian and Italian immigrant grandparents had when I returned home.

I'm not dreaming about any utopian fantasy.  I'm just saying that as I raise my children, I want them to be able to sypmathize and support others who live in other parts of the world rather than hold on to this silly notion that our nation or people are any better than any other group of people.  I have spent enough time abroad to recognize that people are people regardless of where they come from. They all have the same dreams and fears and need the same things.  To encourage my children to close their eyes to those bonds is to cause tension where none need exist.  On my list of things to worry about, nefarious "one world orders" come in pretty low.  Probably right above dinosaurs being cloned and taking over the world.

TheMathematician
Warned
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #596 on: May 31, 2013, 11:17:24 AM »

A nation-wide curriculum is not going to bring about the NWO. Many countries have them; in fact, I struggled for the longest time to wrap my mind around the notion of a country that doesn't.

A question, is the curriculum within England the same as it is in Scotland(and the same for Wales and N. Ireland)?

Tamara
Archon

« Reply #597 on: May 31, 2013, 12:45:07 PM »

I'm not dreaming about any utopian fantasy.  I'm just saying that as I raise my children, I want them to be able to sypmathize and support others who live in other parts of the world rather than hold on to this silly notion that our nation or people are any better than any other group of people.  I have spent enough time abroad to recognize that people are people regardless of where they come from. They all have the same dreams and fears and need the same things.  To encourage my children to close their eyes to those bonds is to cause tension where none need exist.  On my list of things to worry about, nefarious "one world orders" come in pretty low.  Probably right above dinosaurs being cloned and taking over the world.

Of course people are people regardless of where they are from, but governments are not all the same and the notion of citizens of the world implies we all have the same values when it comes to governance but we don't. Some value freedom and others value theocratic dictatorships. We can't be citizens of the world with contradictory values when it comes to governance and I will not give up the Constitution and the Bill of Rights to become a part of some undefined pseudo-world citizenship nonsense.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #598 on: May 31, 2013, 01:08:11 PM »

A question, is the curriculum within England the same as it is in Scotland(and the same for Wales and N. Ireland)?

There are regional variations for Wales and N. Ireland, mainly involving language, but it's still London that works them out. Scotland is, for all intents and purposes, a separate country with its own system.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
ambatzoglou

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #599 on: May 31, 2013, 04:14:29 PM »

I want to take a moment to point out that America isn't one country split into states for administrative or any other purpose. It is a group of independently functioning states that joined together for protection etc.

To have one national curriculum is unconstitutional, it flies in the face of the 10th amendment. The Dept of Education itself shouldn't even exist. Many, MANY of our problems stem from an over zealous federal government reaching into places it was never intended to reach. 300 million people is more difficult to govern than 6 or 7. The United States cannot (and should not) emulate any foreign educational system. However, the individual states are free to do so. If I don't like it? I can move, or enroll my children in private school or home school. See how nicely that works out? I have the freedom to choose how to educate my children, and the freedom to seek out like minded individuals if I am in the state minority.

Seems like this is lost on a few people.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #600 on: May 31, 2013, 04:22:43 PM »

I want to take a moment to point out that America isn't one country split into states for administrative or any other purpose. It is a group of independently functioning states that joined together for protection etc.

To have one national curriculum is unconstitutional, it flies in the face of the 10th amendment. The Dept of Education itself shouldn't even exist. Many, MANY of our problems stem from an over zealous federal government reaching into places it was never intended to reach. 300 million people is more difficult to govern than 6 or 7. The United States cannot (and should not) emulate any foreign educational system. However, the individual states are free to do so. If I don't like it? I can move, or enroll my children in private school or home school. See how nicely that works out? I have the freedom to choose how to educate my children, and the freedom to seek out like minded individuals if I am in the state minority.

Wisdom.

ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #601 on: May 31, 2013, 04:42:57 PM »

That is true. The 10th amendment shouldn't be dead letter, although with federalism and state delegation to smaller units, it might have become dead letter. Personally, I would not be afraid to teach my kids controversial opinions such as "homosexuality is wrong" or "constitutional monarchy is a better form of government than democracy".
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #602 on: May 31, 2013, 05:09:46 PM »

That is true. The 10th amendment shouldn't be dead letter, although with federalism and state delegation to smaller units, it might have become dead letter. Personally, I would not be afraid to teach my kids controversial opinions such as "homosexuality is wrong" or "constitutional monarchy is a better form of government than democracy".
And Noah had dinosaurs in his ark. Which is a controversial idea.
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #603 on: May 31, 2013, 07:24:40 PM »

I heartily agree. Each local area has different issues to deal with and different populations to educate. One size fits all approach will fail our children.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #604 on: May 31, 2013, 08:04:05 PM »

So some children should learn geography, some should learn flat earthism, some should learn about medicine, others should learn that medicine is bad and we should only pray for healing, some should learn that Israel doesn't exist and others should learn that the Palestinians deserve to be pushed off their land all because they live in different parts of the US?  Shocked

TheMathematician
Warned
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #605 on: May 31, 2013, 10:04:03 PM »

Each state should have standards that need to be met on the curriculum devised by the school.

Take me for example. I'm going into education to be an English teacher in a secondary school. I should not be expected to teach the same books as everyone else. Now, should my students be able to read and communicate at the same level ad anyone else, of course. They need to meet the same level of literacy as everyone else, regardless of the school. That being said, I should have flexibility on the texts I choose to teach.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #606 on: June 01, 2013, 12:29:06 AM »

Wisdom.

Indeed
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #607 on: June 01, 2013, 12:31:26 AM »

actually a national program would be a lot more beneficial.

ill get to this garbage later tomorrow.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #608 on: June 01, 2013, 12:38:25 AM »

No child left behind is not beneficial in any way, and that is just one example.  Our government has provided multiple examples of how bad it gets when the government gets involved into things it should not.  
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 12:38:36 AM by Kerdy » Logged
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #609 on: June 01, 2013, 12:47:12 AM »

So some children should learn geography, some should learn flat earthism, some should learn about medicine, others should learn that medicine is bad and we should only pray for healing, some should learn that Israel doesn't exist and others should learn that the Palestinians deserve to be pushed off their land all because they live in different parts of the US?  Shocked

You are very dramatic. Could you please be sensible? In some parts of the country we have children who are barely able to speak English and have parents who are illiterate. They need a program to help them become fluent. In other upper class neighborhoods we have children who are very intelligent and need the curriculum to move at a much faster pace. One curriculum will ever be able to meet the needs of the disparate groups we have in the United States.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #610 on: June 01, 2013, 08:11:59 AM »

Patriotic citizens of our nation go extreme by becoming nationalistic nutjobs and start world wars.

Really?  You're going to stand by such an asinine statement.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #611 on: June 01, 2013, 08:15:34 AM »

A national program won't do anything except to continue to dumb down students, reduce standards, give little or no emphasis to critical thinking and make teachers essentially unnecessary or just mindless automatons.  We have the evidence for this in NCLB which was an expanded reauthorization of earlier national education laws. 

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #612 on: June 01, 2013, 09:19:30 AM »

Patriotic citizens of our nation go extreme by becoming nationalistic nutjobs and start world wars.

Would you like to address my entire statement rather than just call it asinine?

Tamara
Archon

« Reply #613 on: June 01, 2013, 10:18:38 AM »

A national program won't do anything except to continue to dumb down students, reduce standards, give little or no emphasis to critical thinking and make teachers essentially unnecessary or just mindless automatons.  We have the evidence for this in NCLB which was an expanded reauthorization of earlier national education laws. 

You are correct about every point. We even had one school board member who said the classrooms of the future would look different. Each child would be plugged into a computer learning the curriculum while a teacher would move around the room just making sure students could access the material. This school board member is an east coast Ivy League grad who is a real supporter of the Core Curriculum program. We seem to have many of these transplants from the east coast who want to transform our education system. I don't trust any of them.
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #614 on: June 01, 2013, 01:54:03 PM »

Would you care to first prove your statement?  Then I will offer a rebuttal.  You can't just make blanket inflammatory statements like that and then shift the onus of proof to those who would rebut (I.e. make the case for you).

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #615 on: June 01, 2013, 07:36:52 PM »

Would you care to first prove your statement?  Then I will offer a rebuttal.  You can't just make blanket inflammatory statements like that and then shift the onus of proof to those who would rebut (I.e. make the case for you).

"Patriotic" Nationalists who went hardcore and who started world (or major) wars:
Adolf Hitler
Benito Mussolini
Hirohito
Gavrilo Princip
Dragutin Dimitrijević
Otto Von Bismark
Kaiser Wilhelm II
Kim Il Sung

"Citizens of the World" who went hardcore about their beliefs
Jesus
Ghandi
Buddha
Confucius
Henry David Thoreau
Leo Tolstoy
Jody Williams
Thomas Merton

How many more names did you want me to provide?  Would you like to name half as many examples to the contrary in each category, because I have a feeling you would come up empty.

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #616 on: June 01, 2013, 07:42:10 PM »

"Patriotic" Nationalists who went hardcore and who started world (or major) wars:
Adolf Hitler
Benito Mussolini
Hirohito
Gavrilo Princip
Dragutin Dimitrijević
Otto Von Bismark
Kaiser Wilhelm II
Kim Il Sung

"Citizens of the World" who went hardcore about their beliefs
Jesus
Ghandi
Buddha
Confucius
Henry David Thoreau
Leo Tolstoy
Jody Williams
Thomas Merton

How many more names did you want me to provide?  Would you like to name half as many examples to the contrary in each category, because I have a feeling you would come up empty.

You realize, of course, a list could easily be made showing the opposite, and some on your list are arguable for the opposite.  I think it safer if we all just agree we have differing opinions based on different view points and respect the other.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #617 on: June 01, 2013, 08:15:16 PM »

I don't have a problem with that, but when someone asks me to prove my "asinine" opinion, I'm going to respond.

I would be interested in seeing a list for the opposite or reasoning for why my list might be flawed.  I even put that in my post.  I am not threatened by a good debate or the fear of being wrong.  It has happened before, and I'm sure it will happen again.  Wink

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #618 on: June 01, 2013, 08:16:26 PM »

Our children learned about different types of fowls today.  We ended up going to the State Park and on our pasture looking for birds.

The older children had fun classifying them.   Our youngest had fun "learning to count".

Our 8 year old would take the classified birds and put them in alphabetical order.

Then the lesson moved on to symmetry with the leaves.    We also found a big fat toad.

Homeschool is good times.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
livefreeordie
High Elder

« Reply #619 on: June 09, 2013, 03:18:07 PM »

From a new article on breitbart.com. If you pay attention to this thread, most, if not all of the arguments against homeschooling have absolutely no studies or facts to back them up.  At best, someone knew a homeschooler who was "weird" or they had some ex-homeschool students in their class who didn't perform well.  It is all anecdotal and usually based on emotion and bias.  I guess the critics know something M.I.T., Stanford, Harvard and Duke don't.  Wink

The good of homeschooling is proven factually as any study you find will show the benefits of homeschooling.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/06/07/Report-Growth-in-Homeschooling-Outpacing-Public-Schools

"Any concerns about the quality of education children receive by their parents can be put to rest by the consistently high placement of homeschooled students on standardized assessment exams. Data demonstrates that those who are independently educated generally score between the 65th and 89th percentile on these measures, while those in traditional academic settings average at around the 50th percentile. In addition, achievement gaps between sexes, income levels, or ethnicity—all of which have plagued public schools around the country—do not exist in homeschooling environments."

"The high achievement level of homeschoolers is readily recognized by recruiters from some of the best colleges in the nation. Home-educated children matriculate in colleges and attain a four-year degree at much higher rates than their counterparts from both public and private schools. Schools such as Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Harvard, Stanford, and Duke Universities all actively recruit homeschoolers.

Similarly, the common myth that homeschoolers “miss out” on so-called “socialization opportunities,” often thought to be a vital aspect of traditional academic settings, has proven to be without merit. According to the National Home Education Research Institute survey, homeschoolers tend to be more socially engaged than their peers and demonstrate “healthy social, psychological, and emotional development, and success into adulthood.”
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 03:20:07 PM by livefreeordie » Logged
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #620 on: June 09, 2013, 03:34:38 PM »

Bottom line, most people who want to home school shouldn't.

I don't need studies. I just need to meet them or read what they write. Typically, I walk away feeling very sorry for their children. 

Those who could very well homeschool aren't passionately burning to do so.

A puzzle for the ages.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #621 on: June 09, 2013, 03:49:56 PM »

I don't need studies. I just need to meet them or read what they write. Typically, I walk away feeling very sorry for their children. 

A puzzle for the ages.

Why let facts get in the way of your beliefs?  How many homeschoolers do you really know?  Honestly, give me numbers.  No homeschoolers I have ever met (and I work with a few organizations around here because I can teach them Latin and Greek which their organizations do not have the credentials to do so) are the socially backward, intellectually challenged people you assume them to be.  Are there exceptions? Of course, but you'd be surprised that most homeschoolers in this country are not generally individual households, but they form local and state organizations and share teachers, resources, et al.

livefreeordie
High Elder

« Reply #622 on: June 09, 2013, 04:06:25 PM »

A puzzle for the ages.

There is no puzzle.  Again, you are using nothing but your own personal anecdotes, emotion and bias.  Provide one factual study by anyone that homeschooling does a poorer job than public schooling and maybe more people will be persuaded by your argument and you might just save some "poor" homeschooled children.  Wink
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #623 on: June 09, 2013, 06:12:08 PM »

Funny how people lash out emotionally at those they think are acting on emotion.

Number of households I've had contact with that have home schooled.

Greater than 100 probably closer to 1000.

Maniacs tend to congregate.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
livefreeordie
High Elder

« Reply #624 on: June 09, 2013, 06:45:46 PM »

Funny how people lash out emotionally at those they think are acting on emotion.

I'm sure your sample size and statistical analysis is greater and more accurate than Harvard, Stanford, Duke and MIT. Heck, they could probably use your expertise on the matter.  I'm sure they would appreciate being saved from the maniac homeschoolers. But then again they would probably only see one maniac because, oh, that's right, according to STUDIES, not opinions, homeschoolers do better in college and graduate in four years at a higher rate than public schooled children.

From what I already posted above.

"Schools such as Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Harvard, Stanford, and Duke Universities all actively recruit homeschoolers."
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #625 on: June 09, 2013, 08:28:19 PM »

I'm sure your sample size and statistical analysis is greater and more accurate than Harvard, Stanford, Duke and MIT. Heck, they could probably use your expertise on the matter.  I'm sure they would appreciate being saved from the maniac homeschoolers. But then again they would probably only see one maniac because, oh, that's right, according to STUDIES, not opinions, homeschoolers do better in college and graduate in four years at a higher rate than public schooled children.

From what I already posted above.

"Schools such as Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Harvard, Stanford, and Duke Universities all actively recruit homeschoolers."

All this means is that they actively recruit homeschoolers like they do for anyone else. I have read that with the increase in homeschoolers colleges have instituted programs to help with all the paper work that is necessary for them.

The one reference for a study that you cited has no citation for the study referred to and the article that was referenced also had no citations.

The increase of  homeschooling is here:
http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d11/tables/dt11_040.asp

The one study I found with academic outcomes is here and it is not peer reviewed but there is no reason to doubt it:
http://www.airum.org/docs/presentations/2009-Cogan.pdf

If you find a study that takes into account the large demographic difference (see the first link), let me know. Look at it. The problem is obvious.

If you find a study that compares outcome when there is parental involvement in the education of students in public and private schools vs home schooling, let me know.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #626 on: June 09, 2013, 08:31:04 PM »

according to STUDIES, not opinions,

lol

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #627 on: June 09, 2013, 08:43:51 PM »

Just watched several children from our homeschool group get scholarships. 

You've got to be trolling.... got to be.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #628 on: June 09, 2013, 08:51:52 PM »

Just watched several children from our homeschool group get scholarships. 

You've got to be trolling.... got to be.
what sort of scholarships and to where?

sheesh you act like the word scholarship is some big deal without the details.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
livefreeordie
High Elder

« Reply #629 on: June 09, 2013, 09:07:10 PM »

This isn't hard to find guys.  Google "homeschool outcomes" and you'll find plenty of studies that reinforce the good of homeschooling.

And yes, we have known plenty of people who didn't homeschool their children well, and guess what, in every case they ended up sending their kids to public school. Nothing wrong with that.

We are not anti-public school and we don't think everyone should homeschooled.  For us it was a choice we are thankful we made.  It is not for everyone.
Tags: school homeschool 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: