OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 06:52:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nuns / Monks and Monasteries  (Read 5421 times) Average Rating: 0
QuoVadis

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: June 20, 2003, 07:24:52 AM »

Hello friends!

Just wondering, are there many young people today that join monasteries and become nuns and monks?  What is this situation like in other parts of the world?

Joy in the Resurrected Christ!
Katherine

"Without sorrows there is no salvation. On the other hand, the Kingdom of God awaits those who have patiently endured. And all the glory of the world is nothing in comparison." - St Seraphim of Sarov
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2003, 11:35:04 AM »

My friend N. tells me that 8 of his friends from California--three women and five men--have joined Fr. Ephraim's monasteries (GOA) in recent years.  That's just one guy's experience--imagine others'!  Fr. Ephraim has successfully started 18 monasteries in 10 years or so--I think that's great!

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2003, 10:24:14 PM »

"But He said to them, 'All cannot accept this saying, but only those to whom it has been given: For there are eunuchs who were born thus from their mother's womb, and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He who is able to accept it, let him accept it' " (Matthew 19:11-12).

"And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or lands, for My name's sake, shall receive a hundredfold, and inherit eternal life" (Matthew 19:29).

The monastery is a divine calling. I believe that in every generation of Christians there are those who are called to it.

Anastasios' news is encouraging.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2003, 10:25:23 PM by Linus7 » Logged

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2003, 10:17:34 AM »

Hi Katherine,

Below is a link to the Monastics page of the OCA.

http://www.oca.org/pages/ocaadmin/listings/monastics.html

Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2003, 12:01:41 PM »

200th post!

Katherine,

Just out of curiosity, have you thought about becoming a nun?

Matt
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2003, 08:13:55 PM »

Katherine, I know Russia has had a major increase in monastic vocations in the last decade or so. I'm not positive, but I think that Mount Athos has also been getting more and more monastics in the last decade or so. Right now monasticism in America is in the infant stages, but it is growing (thanks in large part to the Greek "Ephraim Monasteries"). There are enough monasteries at this point that anyone wanting to become a monastic would have no problem doing so. Unless you're Antiochian, then you'd have to switch jurisdictions Wink If you're interested, this page lists most of the monasteries in North America.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2003, 09:50:29 PM »

Unless you're Antiochian, then you'd have to switch jurisdictions Wink If you're interested, this page lists most of the monasteries in North America.

Not the case if you are a woman, there is a Skete in Memphis that is a dependent of Holy Dormition (OCA - Romanian) in Michigan but under the omophorian of Met. Philip.

Joseph
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2003, 10:46:38 PM »

I was aware of that, but I'm also aware that both men and women, generally speaking, have to go outside of the Antiochian jurisdiction if they want to be monastics. Met. Philip is waiting for an abbot he can control... er... I mean... until he can find a good abbott. Apparently there aren't any. Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 16, 2003, 10:47:47 PM by Paradosis » Logged

David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2003, 12:22:00 AM »

It is good to see so many men and women, young and old alike embracing the joyful sacrifice of monasticism.  

Has anyone visited the GOA(Elder Ephraim) monastery in NC?  I've wanted to visit, but my knowledge of Greek is extremely limited and none of my local Greek friends are familiar with it.  

Kyrie Elesion!

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2003, 07:54:22 AM »

Dave,

I've been by, but never been inside.

If you want to come up one weekend I'm sure we could make a trip out of it to see it.

Bobby
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2003, 11:57:27 AM »

Unless you're Antiochian, then you'd have to switch jurisdictions Wink If you're interested,

Again, what's this supposed to mean?  We're all lay people (on this forum, AFAIK).  We're not 'attached' to any Bishop or whatever.  We can go where we want.  We're Orthodox not Antiochian, OCA, whatever.  I think that one could only look upon it as "switching jurisdictions" if one want's to be ordained (thus hireodeacon, hieromonk, whatever).
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2003, 12:41:22 PM »

That's not how I looked at it when I was an Antiochian and considering a possible monastic vocation. I was also jabbing, in a mostly friendly way, at the Antiochians since they have absolutely no monastic presence in America. One apartment with two ignored monastics that happen to be, technically speaking, "Antiochian" does not mean that the Antiochian Church has monasteries (and that's not a knock against said monastics or their dwelling, I sympathise with them).
« Last Edit: July 17, 2003, 12:41:53 PM by Paradosis » Logged

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2003, 12:49:56 PM »

It is a step, if a very small one.  From what I have read, Met. Phillip is no fan of monasticism, and I don't see the monastic situation improving in the Antiochian Archdiocese until after he retires.  To be fair I must also say that lately I was very impressed by the way Met. Phillip handed the situation with Arch. Demetri.  

Like all american Orthodox jurisdictions, there are wonderful and not-so-good elements existing together in Antioch.  As we extend cooperation between jurisdictions, hopefully the good will supplant the not-so-good.

-Yazid Ibrahim
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2003, 01:09:54 PM »

Like all american Orthodox jurisdictions,

True true! Who am I to cast stones? Sad Sorry.

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2003, 01:28:17 PM »

Well, I wasn't trying to knock what you were saying in particular, Justin, but I know how easy it is for all of us to get into the '(My Jurisdiction) uber alles' mindset.  We all have something to offer The Church and none of us are perfect.  Personally, I hope for the day that we see a OCA-ROCOR merger, as I think that would cement the best things about both and get rid of the excesses of either.  I don't think we'll see that happen anytime soon, but my hope remains.  

And it is the same for the rest of the American jurisdictions.  People like to joke that all that the GOA can offer is money, but Elder Ephraim is almost singlehanded responsible for the current flowering of monasticism in America, and Archbishop DEMETRIUS (Traketellis) is a very holy man doing the best job he can to preserve the GOA from attack within and without with the EP and GOAL/VOITHIA/OCL.  

I would say the Antiochians have lost a bit of their "salt" recently, but this is out of their zeal at bringing THOUSANDS of american protestants into The Church.  With that kind of influx, it is inevitable that it will flavor some of their actions, but I have no doubts of their mission.  Look at Ben Lomond in the late 80's - they had a piano playing 'Just As I Am' during communion!  They have made major steps and will continue to make major steps.   I have high hopes for their project to translate the LXX.  In a perfect world, it would be combined with the Orthodox New Testament published by the convent in Colorado and have the previous OSB:NT notes heavily heavily revised.  

We're all in this journey together, and to pretend otherwise is to ignore reality.  May God have mercy upon us all and bless our efforts to serve His Church!

-Yazid Ibrahim
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2003, 01:53:52 PM »

Paradosis,
Capice.  These sentiments especially irk me.  I grew up in a former EOC Antiochian parish (or as one opinionated guy I know who happens to sell Russian bells, Anti-ochian), but haven't regularly attended one (except for visiting home) for almost 10 years know.  I still get the impression (although it has fortunately lessened), that all of those (probably mostly former EOCers) have the mindset that they have these limited options to move anywhere away from their parish they grew up in.  These options usually only include:  Eagle River, Ben Lomond, Cupertino, Elk Grove, Salt Lake City or Nashville (among a few others).  Moving elsewhere and attending another Orthodox church is almost like leaving the Church altogether.  I know this is cult-like sentiment still leftover from those EOC days, but it still bothers me.  Anyways, just ranting...
Brigidsboy
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2003, 04:02:03 PM »

Like all american Orthodox jurisdictions, there are wonderful and not-so-good elements existing together in Antioch.  As we extend cooperation between jurisdictions, hopefully the good will supplant the not-so-good.

Well said!

Michael

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
QuoVadis

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2005, 01:29:35 AM »

200th post!

Katherine,

Just out of curiosity, have you thought about becoming a nun?

Matt

Matt,

I must admit in all honesty that monasticism has crossed my mind, and I have spoken to my priest about these ideas.

"Without sorrows there is no salvation. On the other hand, the Kingdom of God awaits those who have patiently endured. And all the glory of the world is nothing in comparison." - St Seraphim of Sarov
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2005, 06:36:30 AM »

Wow...two years for a reply...how often does THAT happen?

To be fair I must also say that lately I was very impressed by the way Met. Phillip handed the situation with Arch. Demetri.

David, if you (or anyone else) still remember this...what was this "situation" between the two hierarchs?

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Landon77
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA (Antiochian Western Orthodox in exile)

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2005, 09:42:51 AM »

Wow, waiting a whole year to reply - that is what I call "Orthodox time."

"How stands your mighty god? My God is stronger than he."  -St. Boniface
MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2005, 10:23:37 AM »

David, if you (or anyone else) still remember this...what was this "situation" between the two hierarchs?

Pedro,

You'll find out next year Wink

"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2005, 11:46:43 AM »

You'll find out next year Wink

NICE.  Wink

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2005, 03:47:16 PM »

Hello friends!

Just wondering, are there many young people today that join monasteries and become nuns and monks? What is this situation like in other parts of the world?

Joy in the Resurrected Christ!
Katherine

In my town, there are only Jesuits and Catholic nuns; both communities have a shortage.

The only Orthodox monastery in my state has probably five monks. I am considering to join. The teachers and kids at college think I'm crazy for wanting to join the monastic life. My parents like the idea but they are worried that I am avoiding marriage because of them somehow. If it be God's will, I would like to join by the time I'm 30 though I am not sure which Orthodox monastic community is right for me.
Due to my Catholic upbringing, I briefly considered Benedictine monasticism, and then considered it again later on, but I've concluded that since Vatican II, Catholic monasticism is no longer traditional and I wouldn't want to be under modernist influence as a monk. Orthodox monasticism seems to have the tradition, discipline and asceticism I am looking for. Whatever I do in life, I want it to be for the greater glory of God.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 03:50:03 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Landon77
Elder

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2005, 06:17:13 PM »

Have you considered Christminster?  It is a ROCOR, Wester Orthodox monastery- Benedictine.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2005, 06:17:51 PM »

Something that I found interesting is that Catholics are better than Orthodox regarding monastics.

Ok, I'll wait until you stop throwing things at me before I go on. Smiley

That is to say, when you examine the official statistics for Catholicism in America and compare it with Orthodox statistics, and if you look at things like the monks-to-laity ratio, or monasteries-to-churches, Catholicism is actually much better off than Orthodoxy. I always hear about priest shortages and empty monasteries and whatnot in Catholicism, but the sad fact is that they are still ahead of us, not only in raw numbers (which is to be expected when they have over 60 million members) but also when looked at as percentages/ratios --the exact area that we Orthodox (wrongly) pride ourselves as having an edge. We don't. Yet.

If you are called to monasticism... go for it!

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2005, 06:38:13 PM »

Have you considered Christminster? It is a ROCOR, Wester Orthodox monastery- Benedictine.

That would be a good idea. However, I probably would rather stay on the West coast. I am thinking about St. Antony's Coptic monastery in California. Knowing exactly which monastery I'll join is not that important to me nor when that will happen. By the time I'm 30, hopefully I will have things figured out by the grace of God.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Landon77
Elder

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2005, 06:58:41 PM »

That would be a good idea. However, I probably would rather stay on the West coast. I am thinking about St. Antony's Coptic monastery in California. Knowing exactly which monastery I'll join is not that important to me nor when that will happen. By the time I'm 30, hopefully I will have things figured out by the grace of God.

Yeah, I guess you first have to choose if you want to be Coptic or Eastern Orthodox.  I'm hoping it is much easyer for furture generations- having the Oriental Orthodox and Eastern Orthodox in complete communion would be a great help.

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2005, 07:27:25 PM »

Given that the only real difference between us is christology, and a very slight one at that, I am not fond of the distinction between Eastern and Oriental Orthodox. Orthodox is Orthodox. We both believe that Christ is fully divine and fully human though our semantics are different. I hope that unity will be accomplished soon also.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Sabbas
Drink from your own wells
High Elder

St. Glicherie True Orthodox Church of Romania

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2005, 12:34:17 PM »

Given that the only real difference between us is christology, and a very slight one at that, I am not fond of the distinction between Eastern and Oriental Orthodox. Orthodox is Orthodox. We both believe that Christ is fully divine and fully human though our semantics are different. I hope that unity will be accomplished soon also.
The difference is not semantics. The Oriental churches maintain fidelity to the historical opposition to the Orthodox Church and the Eastern Roman Caesars that began even before the Council of Chalcedon. You either hold the Orthodox Faith or you do not. There is no such thing as a slight difference in Christology. St.Maximos the Confessor had to fight this same opposition that the Oriental churches uphold. It would be blasphemous for the Orthodox to say that centuries of conflict were mere semantics. While I do sympathize and find the Liturgy and Monasticism practiced by the Oriental churches to be very interesting and beautiful I cannot say that what they still uphold is Right or True.

www.hungersite.com  Ãƒâ€šÃ‚  www.freedonation.com you can donate up to 20 times at freedonation.  http://www.pomog.org/ has online 1851 Sir Lancelot C.L. Brenton English translation of Septuagint.http://www.cnrs.ubc.ca/greekbible/ Original Koine Septuagint and New Testament.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2005, 01:20:06 PM »

You either hold to the Orthodox christology as defined by the Council of Ephesus or you do not.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2005, 01:27:41 PM »

Matthew,
Whether they are "semantical" differences or not is not for you to decide. Unfortunately, the OO Monastics and Theologians are adamant that their view IS different and they won't change, so everything is status quo until something does in fact change.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2005, 01:30:48 PM »

Matthew,
Whether they are "semantical" differences or not is not for you to decide. Unfortunately, the OO Monastics and Theologians are adamant that their view IS different and they won't change, so everything is status quo until something does in fact change.

Please read this article:
                         Monophysitism: Reconsidered

Fr. Matthias F. Wahba
                     St. Antonius Coptic Orthodox Church
                             Hayward, California
                                     USA
http://www.coptic.net/articles/MonophysitismReconsidered.txt

I have yet to receive a rebuttal to the assertian that the Oriental Orthodox Churches hold to the pre-Chalcedonian christology as expounded by St. Cyril of Alexandria and as accepted by The Council of Ephesus. Wouldn't the "heretical" group be the one which rejected a previous Council with a new christology?

May peace be upon thee and with thy spirit.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2005, 01:47:57 PM »

Please read this article:
 Monophysitism: Reconsidered

Fr. Matthias F. Wahba
 St. Antonius Coptic Orthodox Church
 Hayward, California
 USA
http://www.coptic.net/articles/MonophysitismReconsidered.txt

I have yet to receive a rebuttal to the assertian that the Oriental Orthodox Churches hold to the pre-Chalcedonian christology as expounded by St. Cyril of Alexandria and as accepted by The Council of Ephesus. Wouldn't the "heretical" group be the one which rejected a previous Council with a new christology?

May peace be upon thee and with thy spirit.

I'll read it, but keep in mind that it is an opinion of one parish priest - not any hierarchs, theologions or others of "clout".  He could just be more of an "ecumenist" from their pov.
Natasha

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2006, 04:23:48 PM »

Last time I was in RU, I saw a lot of young monks and nuns....has anyone else noticed this in other foreign countries? I am particularly curious about Greece because I always hear how awful it is in larger cities...
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2006, 03:32:31 PM »

Well, I have seen quite a few monks in Astoria every time I go there, not exactly foreign mind you, but still.  I also seem to bump into quite a few Copts, although I'm not always sure if they're monastic or parish.  I should also clarify that monk sighting in Astoria is not in Churches but at cafes. lol

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2006, 03:33:30 PM »

Year three of the thread, I guess.  Smiley

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
Tags: Monastery 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: