Author Topic: The OrthodoxChristianity.net Fund Drive  (Read 29693 times)

Offline Iconodule

• Professor of Cryptopatristics at Miskatonic University
  • Toumarches
  • Monsters from the Id
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Re: The OrthodoxChristianity.net Fund Drive
« Reply #135 on: January 03, 2017, 12:16:53 PM »
Yes, the disclaimer makes it clear that articles appearing on the front page do not necessarily have the full agreement of the staff. However, I think this disclaimer is mitigated by the fact that very few articles appear there at all (this was the first one in two years), and that this particular article almost certainly has the agreement of Anastasios our Old Calendarist webmaster, as do previous entries.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Abp Yeznik Petrosian Defender of the Faith
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #136 on: January 03, 2017, 12:19:26 PM »
Yes, the disclaimer makes it clear that articles appearing on the front page do not necessarily have the full agreement of the staff. However, I think this disclaimer is mitigated by the fact that very few articles appear there at all (this was the first one in two years), and that this particular article almost certainly has the agreement of Anastasios our Old Calendarist webmaster, as do previous entries.

TBH, I didn't know that article was on the front page until NicholasMyra (?) emoted about it. 
Mor has spoken through George... this is the faith of the fathers!

The Church's bridegroom was never the Byzantine Empire.

Offline Iconodule

• Professor of Cryptopatristics at Miskatonic University
  • Toumarches
  • Monsters from the Id
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #137 on: January 03, 2017, 12:26:53 PM »
Yeah, for us regular forumers the articles that very rarely appear on the front page are pretty irrelevant. Most of us go straight to the forum and don't even look at that part of the site. However, a newcomer could come and, despite the disclaimer, not fail to notice that, out of six total articles in the past 7 years, the only electoral commentary is an article arguing that Orthodox Christians must vote for Trump or be complicit in "dismantling every position held by Orthodox Christian doctrine."
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #138 on: January 03, 2017, 12:52:05 PM »
Let me reply first to this:

I do not want to get into a discussion, I just wanted to state that I will no longer donate until the statement is taken down with an apology.

Do as your conscience dictates!  I (and, I presume, the staff) are most grateful for support rendered in the past, and do not "take it personally" if someone chooses to not donate (for whatever reason).

Not until there is an official apology for posting this editorial by Thomas Bezas:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/

The proviso:
OrthodoxChristianity.net occasionally publishes articles and guest editorials that will be of interest to its readers. This does not constitute an endorsement in toto by the website's staff of all views presented.

That the staff signed on to this is more disturbing.
I for one find it sickening and deceptive. I am not willing to support deception that cannot be debated. Since this gets into political  you will have to to research who he is on your own.

Your sentiment "That the staff signed on to this is more disturbing" indicates that you don't understand what "This does not constitute an endorsement in toto by the website's staff of all views presented" means.

Father, I think I read the statement correctly. Based on the phrase, I took it to mean that at least some of the staff did endorse the views. This is what I was disturbed about.

I cannot speak to whether or not any of the staff agrees with the views; I don't, and that's OK - while I am at the top of the food chain for the OC.Net staff, I'm not the site owner/founder, and I'm cognizant that I'm tending to his vineyard, not my own.
I don't typically presume to speak for Mor
You can presume to speak for Mor.   

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Abp Yeznik Petrosian Defender of the Faith
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #139 on: January 03, 2017, 12:55:21 PM »
Let me reply first to this:

I do not want to get into a discussion, I just wanted to state that I will no longer donate until the statement is taken down with an apology.

Do as your conscience dictates!  I (and, I presume, the staff) are most grateful for support rendered in the past, and do not "take it personally" if someone chooses to not donate (for whatever reason).

+1
Mor has spoken through George... this is the faith of the fathers!

The Church's bridegroom was never the Byzantine Empire.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #140 on: January 04, 2017, 01:03:44 AM »
Not until there is an official apology for posting this editorial by Thomas Bezas:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/

The proviso:
OrthodoxChristianity.net occasionally publishes articles and guest editorials that will be of interest to its readers. This does not constitute an endorsement in toto by the website's staff of all views presented.

That the staff signed on to this is more disturbing.
I for one find it sickening and deceptive. I am not willing to support deception that cannot be debated. Since this gets into political  you will have to to research who he is on your own.

Your sentiment "That the staff signed on to this is more disturbing" indicates that you don't understand what "This does not constitute an endorsement in toto by the website's staff of all views presented" means.

Father, I think I read the statement correctly.

The staff is telling you you didn't.

If none of the staff endorsed the editorial, I apologize.

What constitutes 'staff' here anyway?
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #141 on: January 19, 2017, 12:47:38 AM »
Yeah, slapping a disclaimer on it doesn't magically remove the implicit endorsement.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 12:48:00 AM by NicholasMyra »
Quote from: Pope Francis
Thank God he said I was a politician because Aristotle defined the human person as 'Animal politicus.' So at least I am a human person.

Vote for a Ministry section on OC.net