OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 12:42:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Feel Good story  (Read 1034 times) Average Rating: 0
jayjay

« on: January 30, 2006, 09:41:17 AM »

The other night I was in my 'getaway' room in the shed. I have a small icon corner where I have an icon of Jesus, Mary, St Nicholas and another old icon. I had lit a few candles and was saying a few prayers when my 2 yr 2 month son wanted to get up in my arms. Holding him, I crossed myself, and turned to leave. Just then he made his own attempt to cross himself, then blew kisses to the icons, saying'Love you Jesus, Love you God'. Considering the turmoil going on in the world at the moment, that just made me believe even more. You can't beat the faith of a small child. I just thought I would share this.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 09:45:52 AM »

Actually, this was a great story for me to start a long day.  God bless you and your son - may he go on to great things for His glory!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 11:41:03 AM »

Oh,  and out of the mouths of babes!!  Glory be to God!   May we all become child like in our trust and faith in the Lord.

Juliana
Raouf

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 02:51:24 PM »

We have an icon corner where we say family prayers and I have a 9 year old son and 3 1/2 year old daughter that simply can't wait for evening prayers!  We have a system where they each take turns blowing out the vigil lamp (which of course for my 3 year old is one of the highlights)..but of course they always forget whos turn it is and usually get into an argument over it  Smiley

Then, there is the constant kissing of the icons which almost always leads to a near fall of one of the icons from the wall or icon stand...not to mention how many close calls of spilling the oil in the vigil lamp.  Oh...and of course they want to be anointed with oil for EVERYTHING from a tummy ache to a cut.

We have a small paper with the names of those we are praying for which my son reads aloud and my daughter HAS to be the one to pick it up and hand it to him...

But I can totally relate...the joy of seeing my kids enjoy and look forward to prayer is hard to descrive unless you are a parent trying to raise kids in these troubled times.

Lord bless our offerings!

In Christ,
Raouf

Flog your enemies with the Name of Jesus and let the remembrance of Jesus be present with each breath. - St. John Climacus
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 04:54:14 PM »

Thanks guys for bringing a little hope and joy into my day!
Kids are great problem solvers aren't they? I would never have thought to blow kisses to Icons I couldn't reach!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 04:54:41 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Lauren_Elisse
Elder

Faith: Antiochian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: United States

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 01:49:18 AM »

This was a great story to read before bed.
Thank you so much for sharing this.

Psalms 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 03:43:50 AM »

This is the essence of that for which we all are striving! For all our talk of "Mystery" and "theosis," it's really just as simple as wanting to climb up into Our Father's arms and tell Him we love Him while we allow Him to love us.

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Tags: icons icon corner 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: