OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 11:31:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Rather Troubling Review of the 'Gay Cowboy' Movie  (Read 15547 times) Average Rating: 0
observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2006, 12:41:39 PM »

I don't accept this biological stuff - as if God created evil Undecided   People who practice sodomy should be pitied - yes! condoned - No! The same applies to adulterers and fornicators.  The Church knows what to do - leave it at that.

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2006, 06:28:12 PM »

I don't see this film as sending a good message, not because it promotes gay rights but because it condones adultery.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2006, 07:04:54 PM »

People who practice sodomy should be pitied
People who have a "surfeit of bread" should be pitied?...... Undecided
I don't see why- it's just plain greed as far as I'm concerned. We should all share our bread.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 07:25:41 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2006, 07:37:42 PM »

I don't accept this biological stuff - as if God created evil Undecided  ÃƒÆ’‚ People who practice sodomy should be pitied - yes! condoned - No! The same applies to adulterers and fornicators.  The Church knows what to do - leave it at that.

Ok I havent posted in this topic because of my strong opinion on homosexuality. This is the only thing that I feel that church is wrong on.

To deny that the majority of Homosexuals are born that way, is equal to denying that the Earth revolves around the sun.

It is scientifically proven that gay men have fingerprints more similar to women than straight men. When do fingerprints form? during the second trimaster of pregnancy, which means they are gay before they leave the womb.

This of course means it is not a lifestyle or choice, but it rather comes down to whether it is "nature" or "nurture". Genetics (nature) makes sense, but how could it be nurture even if hasnt been brought up yet? The answer I provide to you also answers why one twin may be gay, but the other identical twin may be straight:::

Although identical twins have identical genes and almost always share a placenta, they do have their individual umbilical cords, providing subtle differences in the chemical environment for the developing brain. There are differences in identical twins, such as fingerprints, which are unique in each individual. Fingerprints are formed during the second trimester of pregnancy; lesbians often share a unique fingerprint swirl, adding to the mounting evidence that homosexuality is caused by genetic susceptibility triggered by the prenatal hormonal environment.

Which means that while you are pregnant, there are some external factors that can affect the development of the babies genes. This means that once the baby has initially formed, it is infact heterosexual, until an unkown cause (possibly stress, certain chemicals etc) affects the formation of the brain and genetic code which results in the formation of homosexuality.

This is of course the majority of self declared homosexuals. I believe a bigger problem exists within our society, which is teaching our kids that they have a choice, to be gay or straight. Of course, now you have kids chosing to be gay when infact they are biologically straight.

Movies such as this only make the general population feel that homosexuality is a normal part of society, thus not attempting to fix the problem.

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2006, 08:16:46 PM »

We all have sinful instincts, that doesn't mean that we need to act on them.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2006, 08:45:24 PM »

Movies such as this only make the general population feel that homosexuality is a normal part of society
Um, have you actually seen the film? I don't think you could make this claim if you had.

Sloga
High Elder

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2006, 09:07:05 PM »

Um, have you actually seen the film? I don't think you could make this claim if you had.

No I have not seen the movie. Sorry, I meant to say that the majority of movies make an affect on society and portraying it as a normal healthy lifestyle. I was assuming that this movie is like most others, but I'll take your word and admit I was mistaken.

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2006, 09:26:57 PM »

Sloga,

Where did you get this information about homosexual tendencies being reflected and perceptible in fingerprints?  Have to say I've never heard that one before...

Still haven't seen it.  Don't much care to.  Don't much need to.  I've seen the real-life version tragically rip a family apart.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2006, 09:33:23 PM »

I've seen the real-life version tragically rip a family apart.
Just like in the film.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2006, 09:41:50 PM »

I found the film disturbing because it caused me to reflect on the experiences of Orthodox friend I have met on this forum who has struggled with homosexuality all his life, and when he finally confessed this to a Priest, the Confessor advised him to marry. After long deliberation, my friend has left the Church because of this advice. I have to wonder how many tragic divorces could be avoided if we came up with a few more creative options for same-sex attracted persons in the Church other than advising them to marry?

Sloga
High Elder

« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2006, 10:07:31 PM »

Sloga,

Where did you get this information about homosexual tendencies being reflected and perceptible in fingerprints?ÂÂ  Have to say I've never heard that one before...

http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_exod.htm  --very good article comparing religion with society on Homosexuality.
http://www.gaysouthafrica.org.za/homosexuality/studies.asp
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/55169.stm

Its everywhere if you look for it, I did an opinion essay on Homosexuality so I have background info on it.

I found the film disturbing because it caused me to reflect on the experiences of Orthodox friend I have met on this forum who has struggled with homosexuality all his life, and when he finally confessed this to a Priest, the Confessor advised him to marry. After long deliberation, my friend has left the Church because of this advice. I have to wonder how many tragic divorces could be avoided if we came up with a few more creative options for same-sex attracted persons in the Church other than advising them to marry?

I do not even want to consider myself being in your friend's position, unbelievably difficult. One thing about the Orthodox faith that makes a negative affect is that it is a very hard-headed faith, sometimes refusing to adapt to todays world and it's people. Do I believe gay-marriage should be legalized? No. Do I believe gays should be killed? No. Do I believe it is possible to change? possibly, because no one should ever underestimate the powers of God and the human brain.Having said that, homosexuality is not just a problem for the person, but children of same-sex parents encounter deep psychological and social problems.

I feel that the only solution is to find the cause, because it is agreeable that it is a result of a problem, not a normal lifestyle. If we ever find the cause, we can begin to prevent it. My heart goes out to all of them, but until people come to terms and view it as a defect (It sounds harsh I know), there can never be a cure and more people will be born gay and will have to go though what your friend went through.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2006, 10:27:10 PM »

until people come to terms and view it as a defect (It sounds harsh I know), there can never be a cure and more people will be born gay and will have to go though what your friend went through.
Even if we don't have the answers yet, they still don't "have" to go through it if our Priests stop telling them that they "have to marry". There is no imperative on Christians to marry- monastacism bears witness to that fact. Yes, same-sex attacted people may have to live alone if they wish to be part of the Church, but couldn't we find some way of making this easier for them? Isn't it enough that they are celibate without compounding their loneliness by making them feel ostracised in our Parishes?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 10:27:53 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2006, 07:39:43 AM »

It's true I tell you!
And you know what else? The link between "homosexual" and "left wing" exists only in propaganda.
Homosexuality was punishable with seven years imprisonment and "re-education camps" in Soviet Russia....doesn't get much more left wing than that......
A friend of mine (yes, I do have them), is a Trotskyist, atheist, and homosexual. He seems pretty clued up on communist history. He told me proudly that at the time of Lennin, all forms of sexuality were legalised, including homosexuality and incest.

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
tha thu lan de na gràsan;
Tha an Tighearna maille riut.
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2006, 07:44:53 AM »

Who do you mean by "we"? Isn't Tikhon our brother, a fellow Orthodox Christian with whom we are united in the Blood of Christ. If, as you say, he is a sinner like the rest of us, why do you seperate "we" from him?
Is there a difference between two people; both sinners, but one constantly regrets their sin and tries not to sin, and the other who rejoices in their sin?

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2006, 07:45:54 AM »

What advice would you have given him in order to stop him sinning?

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2006, 08:00:26 AM »

I don't know that I consider him as sinning, montalban. And even if he were, what business is it of mine to judge another as sinning and correct them? What advice do you give your friends when you judge them as being sinful?

montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2006, 08:24:25 AM »

I don't know that I consider him as sinning, montalban.
If he's practicing homosexual acts, then yes he is.
And even if he were, what business is it of mine to judge another as sinning and correct them?
Judgment is up to God. However God did give us guidelines on what is a sin, and He also said we should love our neighbours. Sin is putting yourself away from God. Endangering your immortal soul. Why would a friend want that to happen?
What advice do you give your friends when you judge them as being sinful?
I believe that it's honest to be mutually supportive. Homosexuality, I don't know about specifically. My friend who is happy in his homosexuality knows that I consider it a sin. But as he's an atheist, then arguments about saving one's self don't rub. And conversely when I sin in my own lustful desires, and I do, then he thinks that this is great, and encourages me, so he's not 'supportive' in the Christian sense for me.

A Catholic friend of mine tells me I'm going to hell for being ex-Catholic (reasoning that as I've knowingly turned my back on 'the' Church I'm in danger). So I know how it feels for people to say these things. I of course disagree with him, because I don't think that the mere fact I'm not Catholic is sinful. However he has prayed for me to help me overcome my lustful desires.

I think with all problems the first step is to realise there is one. Friends saying that there is no problem is like alcoholic's families cleaning up after them, rather than forcing them to face their problems.

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2006, 08:38:08 AM »

Judgment is up to God.
This is the only thing I could agree with in your post.

A Catholic friend of mine tells me I'm going to hell for being ex-Catholic......So I know how it feels for people to say these things.
If I had that experience, then I would probably make sure I didn't do the same thing to anyone else.
I think we will all be surprised at who is and isn't admitted to the Kingdom on that Last and Glorious Day- so it's best to just concentrate on fixing our own sinfulness rather than fixing others.
And anyway, we are all close to drowning with our heads just above the water, so I am in no position to save anyone. There is no point in trying to save my friends when I'm not even saved myself.

Sloga
High Elder

« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2006, 03:37:41 PM »

If he's practicing homosexual acts, then yes he is.Judgment is up to God. However God did give us guidelines on what is a sin, and He also said we should love our neighbours. Sin is putting yourself away from God. Endangering your immortal soul. Why would a friend want that to happen?I believe that it's honest to be mutually supportive. Homosexuality, I don't know about specifically. My friend who is happy in his homosexuality knows that I consider it a sin. But as he's an atheist, then arguments about saving one's self don't rub. And conversely when I sin in my own lustful desires, and I do, then he thinks that this is great, and encourages me, so he's not 'supportive' in the Christian sense for me.

A Catholic friend of mine tells me I'm going to hell for being ex-Catholic (reasoning that as I've knowingly turned my back on 'the' Church I'm in danger). So I know how it feels for people to say these things. I of course disagree with him, because I don't think that the mere fact I'm not Catholic is sinful. However he has prayed for me to help me overcome my lustful desires.

I think with all problems the first step is to realise there is one. Friends saying that there is no problem is like alcoholic's families cleaning up after them, rather than forcing them to face their problems.

I agree completely with your post, especially the last little bit..

I think we will all be surprised at who is and isn't admitted to the Kingdom on that Last and Glorious Day- so it's best to just concentrate on fixing our own sinfulness rather than fixing others.
And anyway, we are all close to drowning with our heads just above the water, so I am in no position to save anyone.

I dont know about you, but I want to share the Kingdom of Heaven my father, my mother, my brother, my sister and my good friends.

There is no point in trying to save my friends when I'm not even saved myself

that is something quite self-centred to say, something I dont think Jesus would be proud of. I dont think you read over that comment you made, I suggest you do.

pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2006, 04:44:18 PM »

I usually ask myself the same question when faced with a difficult pastoral situation: "What should I do? What can I say that will make person X believe Y, or person W do Z?" But these questions -- this entire line of thinking -- are actually part of the reason why we, as Christians (and pastoral caregivers in particular!), often do such a poor job of reaching out to our brothers and sisters. We are tempted to think of ourselves, especially our words, as a "solution", or as a means to stop someone from doing something. We are tempted, in other words, to think of ourselves as the Savior; to imagine that the goal of our pastoral interaction is to convince someone to do something or to believe something. Thus, our focus is actually not on the person who needs help, but on ourselves, our plan and our words.

What should one do when faced with a person with a difficult pastoral problem? Not give advice. Not spout off theology. Not figure out in your head -- while they are talking to you! -- what really amazing, really true thing you can say next in order to accomplish YOUR desires. No. It's very simple. Just listen and pray.

Listen and pray. Actually enter into a relationship with the person! Extend love and care to them. Only after one has a relationship of mutual trust can "advice" really mean anything. As a certain professor of pastoral care likes to say: "People don't care what you know, until they know that you care."
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 04:46:39 PM by pensateomnia » Logged

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2006, 06:11:37 PM »

What should one do when faced with a person with a difficult pastoral problem? Not give advice. Not spout off theology. Not figure out in your head -- while they are talking to you! -- what really amazing, really true thing you can say next in order to accomplish YOUR desires. No. It's very simple. Just listen and pray.

Listen and pray. Actually enter into a relationship with the person! Extend love and care to them. Only after one has a relationship of mutual trust can "advice" really mean anything. As a certain professor of pastoral care likes to say: "People don't care what you know, until they know that you care."
Thanks for putting so eloquently what my experience bears out. I would have said something like "you'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar", but of course that would not have got the point across as clearly as what you said.
People today are tired and life is complicated enough to steer through without us adding yet another voice to the cacophony. Not too long ago I read an article about an incident in Moscow in which a group of Orthodox "Christian" babushkas (old women) carrying Icons joined in with a group of extreme right-wing skinheads to protest a gay nightclub which had just opened the city. The gay people attempting to enter the venue had to be evacuated. So what was the message that these Icon toting "babushkas" gave the gay people? That Orthodox Christianity is no different to neo-nazi fascism, and they have the same agenda...
If people are lost as a result of our giving the wrong message about Christ (no matter how well intentioned), who will answer for it on the Day of Judgement? May we be spared from hearing the judgement from God on that Last Day that: "the Name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you." (Romans 2:24)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 06:13:11 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2006, 03:35:14 AM »

This is the only thing I could agree with in your post.
So you don't believe God gave us any idea of what is a sin?
 Tongue
If I had that experience, then I would probably make sure I didn't do the same thing to anyone else.
He had the right intentions. He just missed out on what is a sin. The Bible, the church, clearly point out homosexuality is a sin. Being an ex-Catholic is not so universally recognised as sinful  Grin
Do you know what sins you've done?
And anyway, we are all close to drowning with our heads just above the water, so I am in no position to save anyone. There is no point in trying to save my friends when I'm not even saved myself.
And yet the Apostles and Saints, recognising that they were sinful helped others, and called on each other to help one another.

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2006, 03:42:04 AM »

Thanks for putting so eloquently what my experience bears out. I would have said something like "you'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar",
Sure, but when pressed with what advice you'd give, you said none, so you're not catching any flies with no bait; avoiding telling people the truth is not a way to help people.
but of course that would not have got the point across as clearly as what you said.
People today are tired and life is complicated enough to steer through without us adding yet another voice to the cacophony.
All the more reason that people hear the right message. (and that's not 'no message')
Not too long ago I read an article about an incident in Moscow in which a group of Orthodox "Christian" babushkas (old women) carrying Icons joined in with a group of extreme right-wing skinheads to protest a gay nightclub which had just opened the city. The gay people attempting to enter the venue had to be evacuated. So what was the message that these Icon toting "babushkas" gave the gay people? That Orthodox Christianity is no different to neo-nazi fascism, and they have the same agenda...
Really? My gay/left-wing friend is so pro-Moslem (believing that they're an oppressed minority !!!) I find hard to believe because allying himself with a group that, if it were in power would execute him is odd. So odd combinations do occur.
If people are lost as a result of our giving the wrong message about Christ (no matter how well intentioned), who will answer for it on the Day of Judgement? May we be spared from hearing the judgement from God on that Last Day that: "the Name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you." (Romans 2:24)
Ineed, but again avoiding warning people is not the message of the Apostles

Imagine St. Paul entering Corinth and standing in the middle of the crowd and saying "You are sinners, but I don't want to distract you from that; I know how busy you all are; I'll just go sit over there in the corner and not say anything more"

PS, I also love The Scotsman!

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2006, 04:40:27 AM »

when pressed with what advice you'd give, you said none, so you're not catching any flies with no bait;

Montalban,
One
day
I
hope
you
learn
the
value
of
silence
and
presence.
There
are
many
ways
to
communicate
without
words:
a smile,
tears,
touch....

Most
of
the
time
people
just
switch
off
when
we
talk
too
much.
I
know
I
do.
George.

montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2006, 04:48:36 AM »

Montalban, One day  I hope  you  learn  the  value of silence and  presence.  There are  many ways to
communicate without  words: a smile, tears, touch....
Sure, that's what the Apostles were known for. Smiling quietly all the time.  Grin

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2006, 08:11:14 AM »

Sure, that's what the Apostles were known for. Smiling quietly all the time.

Smiley

montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2006, 08:16:16 AM »

Smiley
I thought that this quote might work well, but on reading it, I'm now not so sure. Still, I post it to promote discussion... (I've highlighted the bit that I first thought was the killer blow)

1 Corinthians 2:6 We do, however, speak a message of wisdom among the mature, but not the wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing. 7 No, we speak of God's secret wisdom, a wisdom that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began. 8 None of the rulers of this age understood it, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. 9 However, as it is written:
   "No eye has seen,
      no ear has heard,
   no mind has conceived
   what God has prepared for those who love him"— 10 but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit.
      The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. 11 For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man's spirit within him? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. 12 We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us. 13 This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words. 14 The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned. 15 The spiritual man makes judgments about all things, but he himself is not subject to any man's judgment:
 16 "For who has known the mind of the Lord
      that he may instruct him?" But we have the mind of Christ.

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2006, 09:21:22 AM »

Smiley

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2006, 10:43:22 AM »

Sure, that's what the Apostles were known for. Smiling quietly all the time.ÂÂ  Grin

So you think you're some apostle now, do you? You think you have some sublime spiritual discernment? I'm not quite as kind and loving as ozgeorge, so have some different emoticons for you,  Cheesy Roll Eyes Cheesy

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
calligraphqueen
Elder

Faith: GOA

« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2006, 11:28:11 AM »

B. Have taken their cue for their treatment of gays and lesbians from crackpots such as Jerry Falwell who make no bones about shunning, mistreating or otherwise assaulting someone for being gay.ÂÂ  

Umm, how do you know this?  I live in the Jerry bubble, and I know him personally.  This is categorically false.  The man is not squeamish in the least about calling homosexuality a sin, but then he isn't squeamish about calling adultery a sin. Period.  ÃƒÆ’‚  How is that mistreatment?
I for one am sick of walking around on eggshells near gay people because if you say *anything* you are bashing or mistreating them.ÂÂ  
What I can't figure out is why protestant ministries are on the ball in ministering to the gay community, even if some fall short, and Orthodox don't seem to have anything available.ÂÂ  Sexual sin, or sexual brokenness (of spirit) of ANY kind is an area where the Church should be reaching folks.ÂÂ  It doesn't matter if it's a porn addiction for a hetero man, the resulting devastation for the wife, sexual molestation as a child, or a past that has led to homosexual issues.ÂÂ  Whatever the root, the cause, where is the church?

As far as being sick of the agenda of the gay community, yeah...I can honestly say I am.  My dd's gay uncle uses the whole "it's all Jerry's fault" for every single thing that happens in his life.  The same guy molested my dd before he "came out", so it just is so much an issue of brokenness for my mind.  Doesn't mean it's limited to the gay community in any way, everyone's got some mess in their lives.  It's just NOT what God had for any of us to be gay, and if Jerry Falwell says that bluntly-too bad.  ÃƒÆ’‚  I don't agree with his doctrine on a lot of things, but the guy is not chicken about saying what is wrong in an era where most are afraid to stand up for what is right.  That isn't bashing, it's just the blunt truth.  Christians SHOULD be ministering to others, gay or straight.  But they shouldn't have to sugar coat the truth either.  Would a gay man support a sugar coated white-washed admonition against a baby rapist, or a man that likes to abduct small boys for his sexual pleasure?  Sin is sin, wrong is still wrong.  

I cannot stand it when anyone, hetero or homo, wears their sexuality on their sleeve.ÂÂ  It seems that many in the gay community do exactly that, and they happen to be in positions to push their agenda.ÂÂ  Enough already.ÂÂ  Keep your sexuality to yourself, no matter who you have it with.ÂÂ  If you are going to go against scriptural laws and requirements, accept that it's against scriptural laws and requirements.ÂÂ  don't bash those that say it's against God's laws, and don't expect the entire world to cater their belief's to yours. Don't parade down the streets of America with your naked partner. Gay people seem to demand that everyone accept their behavior as "normal" when it just isn't, and it does make good people uncomfortable.ÂÂ  Because it's just not right.ÂÂ  Does that mean I support gay bashing?ÂÂ  NoÂÂ  Do I think it's okay to mistreat or shun gay folks?ÂÂ  NoÂÂ  But does the gay community have to project their beliefs onto my children?ÂÂ  No, they have no right whatsoever.ÂÂ  I can't stand how the gay community elevates themselves above the rest of us, and then demands we accept their behavior as normal.ÂÂ  Dude, it's just sex with the same gender.ÂÂ  There seems to be no perspective.ÂÂ  Huh Sexual behavior was created by God to work in one parameter, anything outside of that is wrong.ÂÂ  period.ÂÂ  
I dont' mean to sound harsh at all, I just expect educated men and women who call themselves Christian to stand on truth-not emotion or politically correct pop psychology.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 11:30:05 AM by calligraphqueen » Logged
Zoe
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2006, 09:55:59 PM »

"If you're not a born-again Christian, you're a failure as a human being”

“AIDS is not just God's punishment for homosexuals; it is God's punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuals” (Jerry waxing Robertson-esque)

NI!!!!!!
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2006, 01:27:27 AM »

So you think you're some apostle now, do you? You think you have some sublime spiritual discernment? I'm not quite as kind and loving as ozgeorge, so have some different emoticons for you,
LOL!
Wow I didn't see that one coming !!!  Roll Eyes

I'll walk you through this slowly...
They themselves were sinners.

The Apostles give us an example of how to behave.
They did this through their own words and behaviour.
They never were silent in the face of sin.

We should follow their examples. We should seek to have our sins forgiven, but we should also seek to help others in over-coming their sins, and ask that they help us.

Sitting silently by doesn't help. I do recognise that there might have been saints who went off into the desert or into caves, or onto columns to pray and be alone. However I don't see you advocating that in the face of sin we should do that either.

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
calligraphqueen
Elder

Faith: GOA

« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2006, 09:46:41 AM »

Haven't heard those alleged quotes, and at the risk of supporting the guy, I will say this.  He is oft misquoted because he has the intestinal fortitude to say homosexuality is wrong.  Never one to be pc, he calls it what it is.  I don't think God is truly pleased when we condone any sexually impure behaviour.

Ours is a sexually depraved society, like Sodom and Gomorrah of old.  I have heard him make that reference, and I can't see any patristic teaching that proves him wrong.
All the guy has to work with is the Bible, and that is clear enough as to whether HS is wrong.  Mel White lived right across the street from the church, and he constantly caused trouble just to do it.  He wasn't furthering the gay cause in any way.
AND, Jerry welcomed Mel's "church" into services (I was still there then, grew up there)
We attended church that day right along with them all, and it was just fine.
However, when we walked out to cross the street i had my kids in tow and the protesters accosted me and my babies.  They were the Christian front that said "God hates gays" and all that.  It was the freaky fringe of Christianity that was being cruel, not Jerry.  But all Christians are lumped together, just like all gays are lumped together.
I have to believe not all gay folks are political firebrands, out to indoctrinate MY children and attend nude parades to shock and appall the country. 
There is no reason to give special rights to any group of people simply because they have a different sexual behavior.  (or wear a certain brand of clothes, or color of lipstick, etc.)
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2006, 12:30:01 PM »

LOL!
Wow I didn't see that one coming !!!ÂÂ  Roll Eyes

So you say it coming and STILL decided to make the absurd argument...wow Roll Eyes

The fact of the matter is that you are neither an apostle nor one of their successors; comparing you to the apostles is like comparing apples and oranges. Suggestion, rather than the self-righteous approach of condemning your neighbour for being what you to be less than yourself, perhaps you will make greater progress gentle kindness and unconditional love. But, of course, that's assuming you're genuinely concerned and not just trying to piss them off (and hence why I take the approach I so often do here on oc.net Wink ).

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
chrisb
Working it out in fear and trembling...

Jurisdiction: St. Cyprian of Carthage - OCA|South

St. Cyprian pray for us.

« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2006, 01:46:41 PM »

I see folks speaking about 'not judging' and I'm wondering if any believe in the exercise of 'justice' and from what 'foundation' is justice based? I'm not trying to rain on anyones gay parade but I think as Christians we are called to be 'righteous' as individuals as well as nations and exercise 'Just Law' as advocates of God not as individuals or mobs as was the case when Jesus stopped the mob from stoning but as just advocates administering Justice. Remember God's Justice is not ugly nor unjust and it is the 'foundation' which all justice systems should be based if we are truly Christian. Paul was very clear what the governments role was...

Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. - Romans 13:1-4

Although we as individuals shouldn't have the right to 'take the law into our own hands' we should have Laws and Justice which reflect our relationship with God.

I know that is not popular in liberal christian circles but we are called to be perfect as our Father in heaven is perfect and part of that perfection is in the exercise of Justice.

I expect to get royally roasted for this post but I felt like offering this as my 2 cents.

For whoever does the will of God is my brother and sister and mother. - Mark 3:35
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever!

« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2006, 02:50:44 PM »

I expect to get royally roasted for this post but I felt like offering this as my 2 cents.
And here it comes...
Although we as individuals shouldn't have the right to 'take the law into our own hands' we should have Laws and Justice which reflect our relationship with God.
Be very careful with this statement.  By "our relationship with God" in this post, I assume you mean "an Orthodox Christian's relationship".  What happens when someone else says this and "our relationship" becomes a Wiccan's relationship, of a Hindu's, or a Buddhist's, or a Jewish, or a Moslem's, or an Evangelical Christian's, or a gay Christian's?  We live in a pluralistic society.  The laws of the country need to protect its citizens and guarantee that justice is available to all, not just white, heterosexual, christian males.

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2006, 02:56:49 PM »

I know that is not popular in liberal christian circles but we are called to be perfect as our Father in heaven is perfect and part of that perfection is in the exercise of Justice.
Speaking of perfect...
Jesus said to him, "If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me."  (Matt 19:21)
Better sell that computer right now!   Wink

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
DavidH
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2006, 03:39:23 PM »

I see folks speaking about 'not judging' and I'm wondering if any believe in the exercise of 'justice' and from what 'foundation' is justice based? I'm not trying to rain on anyones gay parade but I think as Christians we are called to be 'righteous' as individuals as well as nations and exercise 'Just Law' as advocates of God not as individuals or mobs as was the case when Jesus stopped the mob from stoning but as just advocates administering Justice. Remember God's Justice is not ugly nor unjust and it is the 'foundation' which all justice systems should be based if we are truly Christian. Paul was very clear what the governments role was...

Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. - Romans 13:1-4

ÃƒÆ’‚ I believe the Fathers take the approach that in regards to sinful behavior we are to be very "conservative" in judging our own sins and faults yet very "liberal" in regards to others. It would be a sin itself to condone sin (e.g. homosexual behavior) yet we must never judge the person who is on that path (whether genetically or volitionally). We must make excuses for others along the lines of our Savior's prayer, "Father forgive them they know not what they do." St. Dorotheus of Gaza has a terrific chapter in his book on judging others that I profit from whenever I read it. It never ceases to urge me towards greater moderation in applying "justice" to others. And, objectively, yes, homosexuality IS a serious sin for whoever practices it- and yet, subjectively, I may be no better than a Pharisee when I point it out. My practice is that whenever someone asks me whether what they are doing is a sin I tell them honestly what Scripture and Tradition says while trying my best to do it in a spirit of gentleness and meekness as the Apostle St. paul taught us. Otherwise I try to say nothing other than prayers to God on their behalf while remembering that I am much worse in light of my knowledge than they are in their "ignorance". There are PLENTY of others who, in the name of justice, will condemn those who do wrong without me having to say anything............
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 03:41:33 PM by DavidH » Logged
chrisb

St. Cyprian pray for us.

« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2006, 05:13:20 PM »

And here it comes...

Well I asked for it.  Cheesy

Be very careful with this statement.ÂÂ  By "our relationship with God" in this post, I assume you mean "an Orthodox Christian's relationship".ÂÂ  What happens when someone else says this and "our relationship" becomes a Wiccan's relationship, of a Hindu's, or a Buddhist's, or a Jewish, or a Moslem's, or an Evangelical Christian's, or a gay Christian's?ÂÂ  We live in a pluralistic society.ÂÂ  The laws of the country need to protect its citizens and guarantee that justice is available to all, not just white, heterosexual, christian males.

Well we may live in a pluralistic society but as Christians we are Citizen's of Heaven first and frankly must recognize that fact and not allow our duty to the heavenly kingdom be overcome by the earthly one.

As a Christian I seek the only 'true' Justice which is God's. Where His Justice is similar with Wiccan's, Hindu's, Buddhist's, Jews and Muslims I rejoice. Where it is different I must take the side of God's Justice. I see no other way around that.

Liberity is fine but when it allows vice it is simply bondage to Satan smuggled in as virtue and I can't support that.

For whoever does the will of God is my brother and sister and mother. - Mark 3:35
chrisb

St. Cyprian pray for us.

« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2006, 05:19:49 PM »

ÃƒÆ’‚ I believe the Fathers take the approach that in regards to sinful behavior we are to be very "conservative" in judging our own sins and faults yet very "liberal" in regards to others. It would be a sin itself to condone sin (e.g. homosexual behavior) yet we must never judge the person who is on that path (whether genetically or volitionally). We must make excuses for others along the lines of our Savior's prayer, "Father forgive them they know not what they do." St. Dorotheus of Gaza has a terrific chapter in his book on judging others that I profit from whenever I read it. It never ceases to urge me towards greater moderation in applying "justice" to others. And, objectively, yes, homosexuality IS a serious sin for whoever practices it- and yet, subjectively, I may be no better than a Pharisee when I point it out. My practice is that whenever someone asks me whether what they are doing is a sin I tell them honestly what Scripture and Tradition says while trying my best to do it in a spirit of gentleness and meekness as the Apostle St. paul taught us. Otherwise I try to say nothing other than prayers to God on their behalf while remembering that I am much worse in light of my knowledge than they are in their "ignorance". There are PLENTY of others who, in the name of justice, will condemn those who do wrong without me having to say anything............

I appreciate what you are saying here and in a sense I am in agreement but I get the impression you are confusing the advice of ascetic rule with our social responsibility to exercise justice for all. As a society God demands that we operate within the moral law which He has set and woe to those who stray from His law. As individuals yes we should be humble but humility has nothing to do with being idle in the face of perversion.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2006, 06:54:58 PM »

As a society God demands that we operate within the moral law which He has set and woe to those who stray from His law.
Huh Do you really have a picture of God as a tyrant constantly looking over our shoulders at us and ready to pounce on us and fill us with "woe" the moment we set a foot wrong?

Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2006, 07:40:00 PM »

Well we may live in a pluralistic society but as Christians we are Citizen's of Heaven first and frankly must recognize that fact and not allow our duty to the heavenly kingdom be overcome by the earthly one.
As a Christian I seek the only 'true' Justice which is God's. Where His Justice is similar with Wiccan's, Hindu's, Buddhist's, Jews and Muslims I rejoice. Where it is different I must take the side of God's Justice. I see no other way around that.
Liberity is fine but when it allows vice it is simply bondage to Satan smuggled in as virtue and I can't support that.
Let me make sure I understand this.   Undecided 
Because of your Christian belief, you feel that certain citizens (and taxpayers, I might add) are not entitled to the same rights, protection, and benefits that you as a citizen (and taxpayer) are entitled to.  You feel discrimination should be allowed because your beliefs have a priority over someone else's freedom (and by freedom, I mean in the context of the freedom granted to US citizens by the, or should I say our, Constitution).  Certainly I do not imply that where certain actions harm others (such as theft, murder, sexual molestation, etc) that citizens have a right to do so.  However, homosexuality, however repungent it may seem to you, certainly does not harm others.  People may imply so, such as it is destroying the American family, but that has yet to be proven.  The American family (divorce rate of around 45%) is doing a good job of destroying itself.
To continue, I believe, (and it is granted to us by the 1st Amendment) that we should voice our opinion, and so should others, whether we agree with them or not.  Our churches should teach morality and ethics, as long as they don't mention actual politicians or political parties by name (a violation of seperation of church and state and a reason to loose tax exempt status).

DavidH
High Elder

« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2006, 08:36:47 PM »

I appreciate what you are saying here and in a sense I am in agreement but I get the impression you are confusing the advice of ascetic rule with our social responsibility to exercise justice for all. As a society God demands that we operate within the moral law which He has set and woe to those who stray from His law. As individuals yes we should be humble but humility has nothing to do with being idle in the face of perversion.

I agree and yes I was speaking as an individual Orthodox Christian. Corporately, I am a Christian Monarchist and believe that the stark separation of Church and State advocated by post-"Enlightenment" leaning people is an artificial construct that can never lead to a God-pleasing society. I confess that I have not found the balance between speaking the truth in love and humbly judghing myself alone. Especially in a society which ever increasingly seeks to define itself in terms of "tolerance". (Isn't it odd that modern "tolerance" means accepting whatever someone to the left of your views says and castigating whatever someone to the right says............) So, my post still stands in that it is my position as an individual Orthodox Christian. As a corporate Orthodox Christian I live in a Democracy and am bound to make my voice heard at the polls whenever the opportunity arises.................
cizinec
High Elder

There ain't no way but the hard way.

« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2006, 10:09:19 PM »

Separation of Church and State, gay rights laws, etc.  This sure sounds like an American political discussion.

The state already chooses when a marriage is valid under the law and when it is not.  As a response to this thread and another, this is not true marriage in the theological and spiritual (to be read as "real," "actual," "true," etc.) marriage.  A marriage outside God's Church is as much a marriage as a Gucci watch bought on the street is a Gucci. 

The state may do with these "relationships" what it chooses.  The state will pay for its choices (please note the above reference to the divorce rate in the U.S.). 

Two of my wife's aunts never married and lived together (non-sexually, for the perverts out there).  Why should they be forced to pay greater taxes and not be able to share their benefits?  Does what happens in the bedroom matter that much? 

And what about the lady I work with who is convinced her dog is equal to my children?  Why is she denied equal health care benefits for her beloved pet?  Who is anyone to judge the degree of affection one person (or beast) has for the other?  Why "discriminate" against "love"?

There are those who would say that a pet doesn't equal a child.  There are those who say friendship doesn't equal marriage.  There are those who say homosexual "marriage" isn't marriage.  All of these people must be terribly intolerant.

"Brother, your best friend ain't your Momma, it's the Field Artillery."
DavidH
High Elder

« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2006, 12:07:23 AM »

Separation of Church and State, gay rights laws, etc.ÂÂ  This sure sounds like an American political discussion.

The state already chooses when a marriage is valid under the law and when it is not.ÂÂ  As a response to this thread and another, this is not true marriage in the theological and spiritual (to be read as "real," "actual," "true," etc.) marriage.ÂÂ  A marriage outside God's Church is as much a marriage as a Gucci watch bought on the street is a Gucci.ÂÂ  

The state may do with these "relationships" what it chooses.ÂÂ  The state will pay for its choices (please note the above reference to the divorce rate in the U.S.).ÂÂ  

Two of my wife's aunts never married and lived together (non-sexually, for the perverts out there).ÂÂ  Why should they be forced to pay greater taxes and not be able to share their benefits?ÂÂ  Does what happens in the bedroom matter that much?ÂÂ  

And what about the lady I work with who is convinced her dog is equal to my children?ÂÂ  Why is she denied equal health care benefits for her beloved pet?ÂÂ  Who is anyone to judge the degree of affection one person (or beast) has for the other?ÂÂ  Why "discriminate" against "love"?

There are those who would say that a pet doesn't equal a child.ÂÂ  There are those who say friendship doesn't equal marriage.ÂÂ  There are those who say homosexual "marriage" isn't marriage.ÂÂ  All of these people must be terribly intolerant.

Is our age so "touchy-feely" that common sense can't trump a tyrannical egalitarianism which equates wives with lovers/roomates or animals with people?............
Tags: homosexuality 
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: