OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 06:22:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A pan-Orthodox school?  (Read 2191 times) Average Rating: 0
GeorgeS

« on: January 28, 2006, 02:39:40 PM »

In the midst of all of these discussions about Orthodox jurisdictions I thought it would be an interesting idea to bring up the concept of a pan-Orthodox school.

Today, the only choice most Orthodox have is to bring up their kids in either a Greek school or Catholic school, outside of that some choose to homeschool (something I'm against in principle).

I think a non-jurisdictional Orthodox elementary and high school would be an interesting project. I think this is where pan-jurisdictional work would be most helpful. This would allow people to pool together their resources and create a school system which teaches kids in the Orthodox spirit, enables Orthodox kids to make Orthodox friends and reinforce the Orthodox identity. When the kids go home for the weekend they're free to attend their ethnic (or American) Orthodox church.

In the school there could be a very good cultural program. Instead of being offered Spanish and French, kids can study Orthodox languages and cultures: Greek, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Romanian (from which it is easy to learn romance languages like Spanish), Lebanese, Arabic, etc.

While it's hard to imagine schools like this springing up all over America, I think it's certainly possible to create a few in major metropolitan areas such as New York, Los Angeles, Toronto, Montreal, Chicago (probably the best bet), etc.

Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 03:06:43 PM »

Today, the only choice most Orthodox have is to bring up their kids in either a Greek school or Catholic school, outside of that some choose to homeschool (something I'm against in principle).

I think you forgot to mention public school.  Why isn't that a choice?
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 03:15:12 PM »

In the midst of all of these discussions about Orthodox jurisdictions I thought it would be an interesting idea to bring up the concept of a pan-Orthodox school.

I believe there is such a school at the pirmary level in Pittsburgh.

I think you forgot to mention public school.ÂÂ  Why isn't that a choice?

Which is generally the better choice, with the exception of some good (usually secular) private schools.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 04:03:29 PM »

There is one in Pgh, and I think they're also doing one in the NE Ohio area (that I am aware of).  As for the pariochial Orthodox schools, some of them are quite excellent (the one for St. Nicholas in Flushing, I've heard, is the best in the city; of course, it is a Greek Orthodox Parochial School, not a non-juris, but I believe it is open to all).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 04:20:35 PM »

I think the idea of a pan-Orthodox school is indeed a good idea. I think it would take some very dedicated individuals to get it off the ground though.

outside of that some choose to homeschool (something I'm against in principle).

Don't feel bad. No one is right all the time. Grin

Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 01:56:46 AM »

While I am not aware about details, but I have heard really nice comments about this Pan-Orthodox school in Ohio. I think this should be an example for other areas. Here, in Washington, I can imagine it happening.
PhosZoe
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 01:30:07 PM »

They exist... The one in Ohio is probably the best known. I believe there is an OCA boarding school in Miami Florida?

http://www.ocs-neo.org/

http://www.stjohnalaska.org/school.html

http://aggreen.net/schools/seminary.html

Justinian

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 09:05:43 PM »

Theres a major parochial school called Orthodox Prep thas gonna start in 2007.  Its located in Seattle. It will have children from ROCOR, OCA, GOA, JP, AOA, Ukrainian, Armenian, Ethiopic, Coptic, and Serb parishes. Very Pan-Orthodox indeed.

"All this indignation have I hurled, At the pretending part of the proud world. Who, swollen with selfish vanity devise: false freedoms, holy cheats, and formal lies, Over their fellow slaves to tyrannize." - John Wilmot
cizinec
High Elder

There ain't no way but the hard way.

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 05:09:31 PM »

Wow!  I didn't know that Panama was an Orthodox country!

"Brother, your best friend ain't your Momma, it's the Field Artillery."
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 12:58:13 AM »

Wow!  I didn't know that Panama was an Orthodox country!

This statement left me with two seperate moments of disbelief that happened soon after one another:
1. I couldn't believe you actually said it;
2. I couldn't believe I actually laughed once I realized it!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Meekle
Elder

Meekle of Rohan, Dunadan Bard of the Riddermark

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 01:09:21 AM »

This statement left me with two seperate moments of disbelief that happened soon after one another:
1. I couldn't believe you actually said it;
2. I couldn't believe I actually laughed once I realized it!

Huh?  Huh
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 01:17:45 AM »

Le sigh..

Justinian said "Pan-Orthodox"
cizinec said "I didn't know Panama was Orthodox!"
I said "I can't believe you just said that, and I found it funny!"

---------------------
Meekle
Elder

Meekle of Rohan, Dunadan Bard of the Riddermark

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006, 01:29:15 AM »

Le sigh..

Justinian said "Pan-Orthodox"
cizinec said "I didn't know Panama was Orthodox!"
I said "I can't believe you just said that, and I found it funny!"

I guess that makes a bit more sense...  Undecided
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print