OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 04:01:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Church Slavonic  (Read 2722 times) Average Rating: 0
Justinian

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« on: January 24, 2006, 12:40:42 AM »

Greetings!

Does anyone know where i can find material that would help me learn Church Slavonic? Amazon.com and barnesandnoble.com seem pretty empty of any Slavonic material. Im looking for books, cd-roms, and audio. Thanks for your help!

In XC,
Justinian

"All this indignation have I hurled, At the pretending part of the proud world. Who, swollen with selfish vanity devise: false freedoms, holy cheats, and formal lies, Over their fellow slaves to tyrannize." - John Wilmot
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 12:51:00 AM »

Get a book for Old Church Slavonic, grammars of this language abound. I especially recommend Schmalstieg's An Introduction to Old Church Slavic (Slavica, 1982) or (if you can read Russian) Voylova's Staroslavjanskij Jazyk (Drofa 2003). Church Slavonic is an artificial language created by using the inflection of Old Church Slavonic with the phonological developments (disappearance or strengthening of yers) of Russian and Bulgarian.
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 09:09:35 AM »

How would you rate the grammar of Archbishop (hieromonk when it was first published) Alypy sold by SJKP press?  I'm also in the market for at least learning the basics of Church Slavonic.   
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 12:58:09 PM »

How would you rate the grammar of Archbishop (hieromonk when it was first published) Alypy sold by SJKP press?  I'm also in the market for at least learning the basics of Church Slavonic.   

Excellent, if you already know Russian. For someone learning the absolute basics, it's useful, but it's not intended to be a course in Slavonic, but a reference grammar.
Silouan
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 06:06:36 PM »

I see. Since I have to learn Russian at school (being a Russian major...) would I be best off waiting until I have a few semesters of Russian down so that I have more options for learning Slavonic or is it worth getting into now with one of the English texts?
QuoVadis

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 01:42:23 AM »

Have you tried looking at this website:

http://www.orthodoxepubsoc.org/cddetails.htm

I also would like to learn Church Slavonic so that I can read at Church or something one day in the future.  I was only looking at this website yesterday and it seems helpful if you do end up ordering the CD's and such.

Hope it helps!

"Without sorrows there is no salvation. On the other hand, the Kingdom of God awaits those who have patiently endured. And all the glory of the world is nothing in comparison." - St Seraphim of Sarov
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 02:25:49 AM »

I see. Since I have to learn Russian at school (being a Russian major...)ÂÂ  

Woohoo! We need some more, so we can outnumber the Greek students at this site.

would I be best off waiting until I have a few semesters of Russian down so that I have more options for learning Slavonic or is it worth getting into now with one of the English texts?

Yes. IME, you will find it much more productive to grok how Russian works, and then study how Slavonic differs from it, than to jump into Slavonic first.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 11:00:15 AM by yBeayf » Logged
Silouan
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 09:23:22 AM »

Woohoo! We need some more, so we can outnumber the Greek students at this site.

Did I also mention that I'm changing my username to RussianisChristian?

Yes. IME, you will find it much more productive to grok how Russian works, and then study how Slavonic differs from it, then to jump into Slavonic first.

Thanks.  That's what I'll end up doing then. 
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 12:52:18 AM »

You might be able to find a program in a local college, especially if you live in a major metropolitan area.  Boston University has a program for Church Slavonic. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 07:18:19 AM »

Here's a good introductory website to the subject.

IME, you will find it much more productive to grok how Russian works, and then study how Slavonic differs from it, than to jump into Slavonic first.

Да, точно. (Exactly.)

Удачи тебе. (Good luck!)

Justinian

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 08:36:29 PM »

Thanks for the replies!

I talked with my priest and he said it would be much more beneficial to learn Russian first, then tackle Church Slavonic. Him and my godmother are even helping me and take time during lunch on sunday to go through what Ive learned! Cheesy

"All this indignation have I hurled, At the pretending part of the proud world. Who, swollen with selfish vanity devise: false freedoms, holy cheats, and formal lies, Over their fellow slaves to tyrannize." - John Wilmot
cizinec
High Elder

There ain't no way but the hard way.

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 05:05:58 PM »

Gosh, I don't know about that.  I know the folks at my church would say that you would be MUCH better off learning Serbian first, then Slavonic.

"Brother, your best friend ain't your Momma, it's the Field Artillery."
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2006, 05:59:44 PM »

Did I also mention that I'm changing my username to RussianisChristian?

Thanks.  That's what I'll end up doing then. 
I liked it when some other poster changed their's to HumanIsChristian even better.
bergschlawiner

Sarisan

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2006, 03:18:39 AM »

Undecided  This thread makes me think of the Mormons aka LDS folks who make learning another language a prerequisite for salvation!!!  No one seems to agree on what language and what dialect of whatever language to learn to worship God.  Only the Muslims believe that a language i.e. Arabic is from the mouth of God!
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2006, 11:09:50 AM »

I don't think that's what is being dicussed.  I think that its just people who genuinly wanted to learn Church Slavonic, which is a liturgical language shared by over 2/3 of the Orthodox Christians in the world.  Its like saying NT Greek won't do you any good.  Of course you can't speak it, but are you ever going to truly understand the NT without it?  Not likely. 

As for Serbian and Church slavonic, its not really the best way to go, to be honest with you.  If you learn Serbian its going to be harder to learn Church Slavonic, just because of pronunciation.  Serbian is a completely, and I mean COMPLETELY phonetic language.  No hidden gimmics, what you see is what you get.  Church Slavonic has abbreviations out the wazoo.  It also has combination letters, accentuation, and inflections.  Don't even get me started on the grammar.  Russian is going to give you a better idea of HOW to pronounce the words you're going to see in Church Slavonic. 

On a more personal note, I prefer the Serbian pronunciation of Church Slavonic, it sounds a lot cleaner.  However, that doesn't necessarily mean that we're pronouncing it CORRECTLY, according to the accentuations and grammar, etc.  So, all in all Russian is a better stepping stone for the Church Slavonic.  If Russian ends up being too hard to learn, its very easy to switch to Serbian, which might end up being easier for you.

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: