OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 02:21:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Story of the RC Nun who attended Mass and Orthodox Services  (Read 1588 times) Average Rating: 0
irene

OC.net

« on: January 26, 2006, 09:01:39 PM »

Quite awhile ago, I remember reading a post  about a RC Nun who attended Mass and the Orthodox Services.  If anyone here could point me in the right direction I'd like to read more about her.    I believe she passed away last year if I'm not mistaken.

thanks,
Irene
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 09:13:15 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, it was Orthodoc who spoke about this nun. Just check through his posts and you should be able to find what you're looking for.  Smiley
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 09:22:31 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, it was Orthodoc who spoke about this nun. Just check through his posts and you should be able to find what you're looking for.ÂÂ  Smiley

That would be my dear departed fiend, Sister Holy Spirit who passed away last you.  She belonged to the "sisters Of The Good Shephard' order.  Our church is built on land we purchased from her order.  She was the mother superior in a Roman Catholic center for troubled teenage girls.

From the time the Church was built and Consecrated, she would attend Wednesday evening Akfists followed by Bible Study, Saturady night Vespers, and Sunday would stop in to say a prayer and light a candle on her way to Mass.  There was always a Church Bulletin at the stand waiting for her.  She requested, and was annointed with the Holy Myrrh from the skull of St Panteleimon and went into remission for over a year.  She loved to tell everyone that its part of her medical records that she was annointed by an Orthodox Catholic priest.

May I ask why you are inquiring.

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
irene

OC.net

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 06:09:17 PM »

She crossed my mind the other day for some reason.   She seems like someone who would have been wonderful to have known.
And a great friend of Gods.
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 07:47:45 PM »

She crossed my mind the other day for some reason.  ÃƒÆ’‚ She seems like someone who would have been wonderful to have known.
And a great friend of Gods.

She most certainly was.  And she had a sense of humor.  The land where her order was located was willed to them with the stipulation it would remain with them as long as there remained nuns with the order.  When her order dwindled down to four or five, the former Cardinal sold the land from under them and put the order ina small house.  From that time on, she signed all her correspondence with - Sister Mary Holy Spirit.  Nun in exile!

Once she came to Bible Study with s smile on her face.  We asked her about it.  She said the Cardinal (the one she didn't like) was at her parish to administer Confirmation.  He asked the kids questions.  One of them as how many Sacraments are there?  One little girl answered - Seven for men and six for women!  She said the look on the Carinals face was a sight to behold!

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 11:54:15 PM »

She most certainly was.ÂÂ  And she had a sense of humor.ÂÂ  The land where her order was located was willed to them with the stipulation it would remain with them as long as there remained nuns with the order.ÂÂ  When her order dwindled down to four or five, the former Cardinal sold the land from under them and put the order ina small house.ÂÂ  From that time on, she signed all her correspondence with - Sister Mary Holy Spirit.ÂÂ  Nun in exile!

Once she came to Bible Study with s smile on her face.ÂÂ  We asked her about it.ÂÂ  She said the Cardinal (the one she didn't like) was at her parish to administer Confirmation.ÂÂ  He asked the kids questions.ÂÂ  One of them as how many Sacraments are there?ÂÂ  One little girl answered - Seven for men and six for women!ÂÂ  She said the look on the Carinals face was a sight to behold!

Orthodoc

Yes, Mary Margaret was her former name.  What a lovely person she was.  I had the good fortune to be with her in her last week of life here on earth.  Her funeral Mass was attended not only me but by our Orthodox Priest and Matuska at the nuns Mother house.  May her memory be eternal.

JoeS
username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 03:59:05 AM »

Orthodoc,
While I should be sleeping, the 7 for men and 6 for women thing made this tired brother laugh!!
GO PIXBERG STILLERS

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: