OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 06:29:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning an enameled censer  (Read 1382 times) Average Rating: 0
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« on: January 26, 2006, 10:20:45 AM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Any ideals on how to safely clean and enameled censer?  I have in the past used fingernail polish remover on a simple censer, but when it comes to one with enamel, I'm totally unsure where to begin.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 11:06:47 AM »

Have you seen the Mr. Clean "Magic Sponges"?  They've been around for a couple of years.  They're non-chemical, just moisten them with water and they can remove (from our experieces) crayon, ink, magic marker, cocoa, grime, fingerprints and more off of painted walls and appliaces.  They clear up soap residue from bathtubs without scratching.  I will confess that I haven't tried them on a censer, but considering what they do work on *without damaging the surfaces* it might be a thought to try them (gently of course)>

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
monkvasyl
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 12:06:40 PM »

Have you seen the Mr. Clean "Magic Sponges"?ÂÂ  Ebor

Thanks, I think I'll give that a try, and as you said "gently".  This censer hasn't been cleaned in a long time and with the Archbishop coming, I want everything to be ready for a "white glove" inspection.

Michael

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 04:26:50 PM »

I hope it goes well.

I remember inheriting the position of sacristan at a church where the thurible hadn't been cleaned for some time, and there was a thick solidified tar-like residue.  In the end, I used washing-up gloves, a toothbrush, and half a bottle of ethanol.  It took nearly an hour but it did the trick.  As for an enamelled surface, i'm not sure.

Someone on another forum tried boiling one once.  This took a few hours but did the trick without the aid of any sort of harsh chemicals or abrasives.  I don't know whether this would harm an enamelled thurible, though.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 01:46:34 PM »

Congratulations on your ordination!

How did cleaning the censor go?

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
monkvasyl
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 02:31:55 PM »

Congratulations on your ordination! How did cleaning the censor go? Ebor

Thank you.  Surprisingly, I just used some hot water and a sponge...it wasn't immaculate, but it certainly looked alot better than before.  At somepoint I'll try to get all that tar from inside the censer.

Tags: icon corner censer 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: