OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 06:32:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To eat meat or not to eat meat!  (Read 2326 times) Average Rating: 0
QuoVadis

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: January 25, 2006, 02:16:43 AM »

As I was just reading through Genesis, I noticed how God gave Adam and Eve basically fruit and veges etc. to eat for their sustenance.ÂÂ  How come then after Noah and the flood etc., God tells Noah and his family that every thing moving and is alive will now be food for them, as it was with the green plants.ÂÂ  Why the sudden change, do you think?

Personally, even though I eat meat, I don't particularly enjoy it so would be glad to stick with the greens ... nevertheless, I wonder what the Church says about this and why God changed the order of things after the flood.

Does anyone know?
Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 02:17:17 AM by QuoVadis » Logged

"Without sorrows there is no salvation. On the other hand, the Kingdom of God awaits those who have patiently endured. And all the glory of the world is nothing in comparison." - St Seraphim of Sarov
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 02:23:15 AM »

Because meat tastes good, and God is kind.

[I had a raw steak for dinner this evening, with some pepper and a bit of clarified butter. Good stuff.]
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 10:26:22 AM »

Personally, even though I eat meat, I don't particularly enjoy it so would be glad to stick with the greens ... nevertheless, I wonder what the Church says about this and why God changed the order of things after the flood.

'If anyone criticize adversely a person eating meat with reverence and faith, as though he had no hope of partaking, let him be anathema.'

--Second Canon of the Synod of Gangra

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 11:44:55 AM »

Uh, that appears to be in reference to eating meat and receiving communion. As if meat eaters could not receive (esp since in some traditions one fasts from meat the day before receiving communion.)

If people are eating meat with reverence and faith, more power to them. If people are mindlessly consuming much more than they need for love of the taste, (and IMO, without regard to the manner in which their meat food was raised and slaughtered, since it was almost certainly without the reverence and caring due to God's creation), then maybe there is something to discuss, according to that canon.

I'm a vegetarian. There are lots of vegetarians or vegans in the Church. Monastics are by and large vegetarian, for that follows "the angelic way." If you want to go vegetarian, within Orthodoxy, it's not that hard to do, since we're fasting 180 days of the year anyway.  I'm not against eating meat (though it makes me physically retch if I try to), but I assert that the Orthodox respect for all food and nourishment (that stems from the Eucharist and fasting practices) could mean that we should take a harder look at how food animals are treated and try to do better by them.

Qui cantat, bis orat
choirfiend
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 12:01:08 PM »

PS. This site is FABULOUS and the woman is an Orthodox Christian.
http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/

I would also reccomend looking for the cookbook "When you fast" which is a cookbook for the Lenten season full of receipes that do and do not use dairy, eggs, and oil, so you can really do quite well by going vegetarian or vegan for the whole year.
http://www.svots.edu/Press-Releases/2005-0415-lenten-cookbook/

Qui cantat, bis orat
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 01:58:13 PM »

Uh, that appears to be in reference to eating meat and receiving communion. As if meat eaters could not receive (esp since in some traditions one fasts from meat the day before receiving communion.)

Actually it's not a reference to partaking of communion, but rather of partaking of the Kingdom of God, i.e. Salvation. The Synod was summoned in response to the Eustathian heretics who elevated ascetic practice to the level of being required for our Salvation and in doing so issued 20 Anathemas ranging from abhorance at the consumption of meat to criticizing of common dress to fasting on Sundays. The point of the canon is to condemn those who either abhor meat or find some moral wrong in the consumption of meat, not to condemn those who avoid meat on account of ascetic practice (but it does condemn those who avoid meat out of ascetic practice and insist others do so, as though it were necessary for their Salvation). Other relevant canons on this subject include:

'If any Bishop, or Presbyter, or Deacon, or anyone at all on the sacerdotal list, abstains from marriage, or meat, or wine, not as a matter of mortification, but out of an abhorrence thereof, forgetting that all things are exceedingly good, and that God made man male and female, and blasphemously misrepresenting God’s work of creation, either let him mend his ways or let him be deposed from office and expelled from the Church. Let a layman be treated similarly.' -- Apostles 51

'If any Bishop, or Presbyter, or Deacon, on the days of feasts will not partake of meat and wine, because he loathes these things, and not on account of asceticism, let him be deposed from office, on the ground that he has his own conscience seared and has become a cause of scandal to many.' -- Apostles 53

'As for those presbyters or deacons who are in the clergy and who abstain from meat, it has seemed right for them to touch and taste the meat and then, if they so wish, to refrain from eating it; but if they are unwilling to eat even vegetables that have been cooked with meat, and refuse to submit to the Canon, let them be dismissed from the orders.' -- Ancyra 14

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
BJohnD

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. John of Damascus, pray for us.

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 03:27:15 PM »

I, too, am a vegetarian, though not a vegan.  But at the same time, I think it is quite clear that the Orthodox Church does not regard eating meat as sinful.  Bishop +Kallistos makes this very point in The Orthodox Church when he discusses the fasting rules.  Neither do I, IMHO, regard it as inherently evil.  I simply do not wish to participate. 

I echo Choirfiend's words about it not being particularly hard to be vegetarian and Orthodox, at least at home, given that for half the year we are supposed to eat a near-vegan diet anyway.

So go ahead and eat your meat, fish, and fowl.  Just don't look at me funny because I won't eat anything that originally had a face.  Wink
Meekle
Elder

Meekle of Rohan, Dunadan Bard of the Riddermark

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 03:33:03 PM »

I, too, am a vegetarian, though not a vegan.

Is there a difference?
choirfiend
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 04:07:21 PM »

Vegetarians do not eat meat. Anything that is part of a body and required killing something in order to eat it.

Vegans do not eat any products that come from animals whatsoever, including dairy, eggs, and even honey.

Qui cantat, bis orat
choirfiend
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 04:09:44 PM »

Actually it's not a reference to partaking of communion, but rather of partaking of the Kingdom of God, i.e. Salvation.

Aha, do you think it might be appropriate to provide context right along with whatever text you're quoting there?
Still sounds consistent with a preference for vegetarianism. And is consistent with eating meat. So no surprise there.

Qui cantat, bis orat
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 04:17:30 PM »

Aha, do you think it might be appropriate to provide context right along with whatever text you're quoting there?
Still sounds consistent with a preference for vegetarianism. And is consistent with eating meat. So no surprise there.

I did provide a context:

'If anyone criticize adversely a person eating meat with reverence and faith, as though he had no hope of partaking, let him be anathema.'

--Second Canon of the Synod of Gangra
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 04:17:54 PM by greekischristian » Logged

QuoVadis

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2006, 05:40:30 PM »

Thank you all for your interesting posts, but can we get back to the actual topic here?  I wasn't saying eating meat was a good or bad thing - it's your own personal preference.  But as I said, I was reading through the Bible and wondered why God changed the order of things from before the flood to after the flood.  Does anyone know, and what does the Church say about this instance?

"Without sorrows there is no salvation. On the other hand, the Kingdom of God awaits those who have patiently endured. And all the glory of the world is nothing in comparison." - St Seraphim of Sarov
Meekle
Elder

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2006, 05:44:09 PM »

Thank you all for your interesting posts, but can we get back to the actual topic here?  I wasn't saying eating meat was a good or bad thing - it's your own personal preference.  But as I said, I was reading through the Bible and wondered why God changed the order of things from before the flood to after the flood.  Does anyone know, and what does the Church say about this instance?

I'm just limbing it here, but it may have something to with all the animals after the flood were handpicked to survive, and thereofre may have been more pure than before the flood.  Huh

Does that sound correct?
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2006, 05:49:02 PM »

Could also be that after the flood, there probably weren't many crops laying around waiting to be eaten, so for a while there would have been not much to eat besides the animals and whatever wild plants had survived the flood.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2006, 05:50:55 PM »

[I had a raw steak for dinner this evening, with some pepper and a bit of clarified butter. Good stuff.]

When you guys say "raw", do you mean "rare" as in lightly cooked, or completely raw as in uncooked?
If the latter: ERRRUGH!!!!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2006, 06:04:21 PM »

When you guys say "raw", do you mean "rare" as in lightly cooked, or completely raw as in uncooked?
If the latter: ERRRUGH!!!!

Can't speak for others, but in my case, it was indeed raw. Cooked meat is good, but raw meat is divine. The problem with restaurant steaks is that they always insist on cooking the blasted things.
Meekle
Elder

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2006, 06:05:48 PM »

Can't speak for others, but in my case, it was indeed raw. Cooked meat is good, but raw meat is divine. The problem with restaurant steaks is that they always insist on cooking the blasted things.

Wouldn't they get a lawsuit if they didn't cook them?
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2006, 06:07:50 PM »

Possible litigation should never stand in the way of a good meal.

And kibbee is hard to find at restaurants, too. Stupid health inspectors.

I will, though, put in a good word for Outback Steakhouse. I once ordered a rack of lamb there, and asked them to cook it as rare as they could, and they brought it out barely room temperature. It was excellent.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 06:09:22 PM by yBeayf » Logged
BJohnD

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2006, 07:57:36 PM »

Skipping quickly past recent references to masticating uncooked animal flesh  Tongue to get back to the question about the change in dietary rules after the flood, I believe the original "vegetarian" rules are given in the context of life in the Garden, when everyone and everything lived in harmony.  Then after the flood, I believe God says to Noah something like, "Now animals will fear you."  It's a changed world.
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2006, 07:58:03 PM »

Do you enjoy authentic Japanese food, by chance?

And here I was thinking I was strange for liking a little sushi and cookie dough!
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2006, 10:04:49 PM »

Not necessarily, ever have Steak Tartare? A good Steak Tartare truly is divine.

As frightening as it is (the concept of us agreeing) I'm going to have to agree with you...meat that can be served raw is best served raw, or at the very least, cooked as little as possible.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2006, 10:28:45 PM »

QuoVadis

It is an interesting question, though I cannot remember having come across any type of answer. If I had to speculate though I'd probably say something like what BJohnD said.
BJohnD

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2006, 01:04:18 PM »

[bible]Genesis 9:1-4[/bible]
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: