OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 09:54:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greek Orthodox Altarserver?  (Read 1127 times) Average Rating: 0
drewmeister2
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Hellenic Orthodox Traditionalist Church of America

Christmas at St Markella's Cathedral, Astoria, NY

« on: January 23, 2006, 09:52:03 PM »

In the Greek tradition, do altar servers wear some kind of riasa or some black clothing underneath the altar server vestment?

Thanks Smiley.

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

IC    XC      ...and in ONE HOLY CATHOLIC
    +                   and APOSTOLIC CHURCH...
NI    KA

www.hotca.org | www.YouTube.com/GreekOrthodoxTV
Brigidsboy
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 12:44:22 AM »

No. The altar boys wear a sticharion, with an orarion if they have been ordained subdeacon.
Older boys and adult servers who have been tonsured wear a black cassock (anteri).

Michael

Reader and altar boy director
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 12:44:46 AM by Brigidsboy » Logged

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 12:59:35 PM »

No. The altar boys wear a sticharion, with an orarion if they have been ordained subdeacon.

I know I've seen parades of 10-year-olds vested as subdeacons in Greek churches. Are they actually tonsured to the subdiaconate, or is the orarion just decorative?
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 01:13:46 PM »

I know I've seen parades of 10-year-olds vested as subdeacons in Greek churches. Are they actually tonsured to the subdiaconate, or is the orarion just decorative?

It's just decorative.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 03:54:40 PM »

It's just decorative.

I guess the next question, then, is why?
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 04:43:41 PM »

No clue... the best thing I could guess is that, in the ancient practice, what we have "altar boys" or "altar servers" do was actually done by the slew of subdeacons.  There is no reason to wear the orarion for them, although the way they wear it is different from how the subdeacon and deacon wear it... Some churches don't have their kids wearing the orarion.  As far as the black riasa, it is theoretically only for the deacons, priests, and bishops, as it was the garment of clergy streetwear.. now they have seminarians and some tonsured readers wear it.  But the riasa (anderi as we say in greek) is not a liturgical garment.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Brigidsboy
Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 01:44:50 AM »

The last time the Metropolitan visited us, he tonsured all the new altar boys as readers. He then prayed over the ones who already were tonsured, and gave them the stoles to put on. I presume he mde them subdeacons. Can't figure what else it could have been.

It's just decorative.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 01:45:17 AM by Brigidsboy » Logged

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 02:05:25 AM »

I presume he mde them subdeacons. Can't figure what else it could have been.

Ah, so they've taken a vow of celibacy, then?
Brigidsboy
Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 02:09:31 AM »

Take it up with His Eminence. I only know what I have witnessed several times in my 18 years of directing altar boys in three parishes.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: