OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 07:23:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Open Letter to Dr. Laura  (Read 1068 times) Average Rating: 0
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« on: January 29, 2006, 03:24:09 AM »

I know that everyone and their grandma has seen this but it never stops being hilariously relevant...

http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~susan/joke/laura.htm

Peace.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 03:24:36 AM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 03:16:56 PM »

How is that juvenile letter relevant? The Jewish ritual laws have expired but homosexual sex is still a sin.

Anastasios

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 03:51:55 PM »

Not only that, but it's attempt at humor relies on things the Mosaic Law never even said. Yes, the Mosaic law said that people could put to death (by stoning, fire, etc.) those who transgressed the law, but it was not some type of vigilante justice like the letter sophmorically jokes about. Certain evidences/witnesses had to be brought before certain people for the case to be judged before a guilty or not guilty verdict could be given. Only after that time could the person be put to death. This is not unlike our system in method, only instead of police enforcing the punishment, the people did.

There were exceptions to this, such as a man killing another man who had committed manslaughter against his family, but that was only if the man who had committed manslaughter had left a specific city which was set apart for his protection (in other words, as long as the guilty man stayed in the city for a certain period of time, he was safe from harm (in essence, it was house arrest). But the exceptions certainly don't smack of the type of justice that the article jokes about.

Now, I do believe that there are difficult things in the Mosaic law, if it isn't taken "spiritually" (as I've seen most Fathers, except maybe the Antiochian ones, do). I said the Mosaic Law was not dissimilar to our system in method, but it certainly is in what it believes is a crime and how it punishes criminals. However, such a joke isn't going to bring these types of issues to light, nor help people grapple with their meaning. But then, this article was not meant to seriously bring up issues, but just meant as a childish joke. But it's not very funny, IMO, whether you're Jewish, Christian, or something else. Besides, from my experience it is generally not people who practice Judaism who would try to enforce the Old Testament laws, but Christian theonomists, who usually fall into the fringe of the Protestant Fundamentalist camp.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 03:56:51 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
donkeyhotay

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

"God, Who provides for all, will not desert us"

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 04:49:52 PM »

hilariously relevant...

(yawn)

A dog is better than I am, for he has love and does not judge.
-Abba Xanthias
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: