OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 05:22:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: fdsafasfdsaf
fadsfsa - 1 (10%)
fdsafdsa - 1 (10%)
fadsfasf - 2 (20%)
sadfasdf - 2 (20%)
fadfs - 4 (40%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Welcome to the convert forum! Are you a convert?  (Read 8358 times) Average Rating: 0
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« on: October 03, 2002, 04:25:31 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

I had no clue that this board would exist nor that I would become moderator of it! Anyway, lets kick it off with a bang and a survey. If you are a convert or revert please share your story here. God Bless you all!

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
CDHealy

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

I'm a philosophy major.

chealy5
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2002, 04:33:58 PM »

I'm not sure if I count as one about to convert.  My family is polarized against Orthodoxy, and so I am trying to find the best way forward.  Though if I did not have to weed through the delicacies of relational matters, I would have already asked my priest to be a catechumen.

Clifton D. Healy
email: chealy5@yahoo.com
blog: http://benedictseraphim.wordpress.com

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--Hamlet,
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2002, 04:40:10 PM »

Dear Clifton,

You don't have to answer this if you don't want to, and I will completely understand, but I was wondering why your family is polarised against Orthodoxy?

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2002, 04:40:10 PM »

My family is polarized against Orthodoxy, and so I am trying to find the best way forward.  Though if I did not have to weed through the delicacies of relational matters, I would have already asked my priest to be a catechumen.

Can you tell us just what it is about Orthodoxy that has polarized your family against it?

Hypo-Ortho
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2002, 04:40:43 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

In your situation, especially if you are a minor, I would ask the priest or another priest to be your spiritual advisor in this situation. If you are not a minor, I would remind you of these words from Jesus in the Bible.

Luke 12:50-53
"But I have a baptism to undergo, and how distressed I am until it is accomplished. Do you suppose that I came to grant peace on earth? I tell you, no, but rather division; for from now on five members in one household will be divided, three against two and two against three. They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law."

I will pray for you as you go through these tough days. May God bless you abundently all your days.

CDHealy

I'm a philosophy major.

chealy5
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2002, 05:05:47 PM »

I am married, and my wife's objections, though she gives her reasons, is in my view due to my sinful failures to be the Christian husband I should be, and to how I insensitively and stubbornly ignored her questions and concerns about my becoming an Episcopalian.  She now can legitimately tell me "I told you so!" (about ECUSA), so I have little "authority" in speaking about Orthodoxy.

Clifton D. Healy

--Hamlet,
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2002, 05:09:18 PM »

Perhaps it would be helpful for you and your wife to read together and to visit an Orthodox Priest together.  When you two got married, you pledged to live your life as one.  You can't leave your wife "in the dust" spiritualy speaking.  

Why don't you and her attend a Divine Liturgy together.  The beuty of the Divine Liturgy converted the messengers of St. Vlodimiyr, perhaps it will do the same for her.

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
CDHealy

I'm a philosophy major.

chealy5
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2002, 05:11:00 PM »

Anna has joined me at three Divine Liturgies.  I tried to get Anna together with my priest and his wife for dinner, but she backed out.

Clifton D. Healy

--Hamlet,
Nigula Qian Zishi
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2002, 05:14:12 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Dear Clifton,

Perhaps she wouldn't be as likely to back out were you to have the priest (and his matiushka and kids if applicable) over for dinner? Especially if you do the cooking, as to not put her out. God Bless!

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2002, 05:15:18 PM »

Well I think it is safe to say that we here will of course be praying for you.  

I would remind you that in Scripture, our Lord says the way to Heaven is narrow and steep.  Therefore the way to heaven on Earth (the Orthodox Church) is also narrow and steep.

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2002, 05:21:45 PM »

I am married, and my wife's objections, though she gives her reasons, is in my view due to my sinful failures to be the Christian husband I should be, and to how I insensitively and stubbornly ignored her questions and concerns about my becoming an Episcopalian.  She now can legitimately tell me "I told you so!" (about ECUSA), so I have little "authority" in speaking about Orthodoxy.

Wow!  That was straightforward, Clifton.  Well, all I can say is that those of us who are married or have been married can relate to what your wife has reasoned (strange though, how our wives never fail in the dutes incumbent  on a Christian wife, isn't it?  Wink

Patience, Clifton.  Patience.  Be that perfect Christian husband that your wife wants you to be, especially before and after attending Divine Services in that Chicago Orthodox parish church.  Love rubs off.  Someday she may ask to accompany you to see what it is that you find so compelling there.  Never stop inviting her to come along with you.  Try not to be confrontational, just loving and respecting, and above all, PATIENT!  I wish you the best and shall pray for you.

Hypo-Ortho
Catechumen Mike

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2002, 06:56:18 PM »

I am currently a Catechumen here in South Carolina. I will be getting Baptized soon. I am converting from the RC Church. I have noticed that most books by converts are from the Protestant  persepective. Comming from the RC Church is a different perspective than RC, such as the veneration of saints, I have no problem with that. Any way, I was wondering if anyone could suggest some books from RC's that converted. Plus, I am looking for a good Orthodox Bible and Commentary. Thanks. Catechumen, Mike Grin

NULL
Oblio
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The Pointless One !

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2002, 07:10:56 PM »

I've got the NT 2 volume set from the Holy Apostles Convent.  Nice notes on the original Greek, and commentary from the Church Fathers.

The Orthodox New Testament: The Holy Gospels: Volume 1

The Orthodox New Testament: Acts, Epistles, Revelation: Volume 2

« Last Edit: October 03, 2002, 07:11:51 PM by Oblio » Logged
Oblio
Elder

The Pointless One !

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2002, 07:19:52 PM »

This might be of interest also:

The Truth: What Every Roman Catholic Should Know About the Orthodox Church
by Clark Carlton

Added note
I read his bio on Regina Orthodox Press and it appears he was raised So. Baptist.  I've enjoyed 2 of his other books in the series and the subject looked appropriate.  
« Last Edit: October 03, 2002, 07:24:23 PM by Oblio » Logged
Nigula Qian Zishi
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2002, 07:27:54 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

I've never heard anything negative about the Gospel Books via Holy Apostles Convent. Theur website where you can order them directly is at http://www.buenavistaco.com/GOC/HRDPUB.HTM#Scripture God Bless you on your journey and welcome aboard!

Oblio
Elder

The Pointless One !

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2002, 09:59:06 PM »

Nik,

Thanks for the link, I didn't have it marked and was too lazy to search.  I've passed it off to someone on BNet looking for a gift.  BTW, have you read (or heard opinions of) any of the other books published by Holy Apostles Convent ??
Nigula Qian Zishi
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2002, 10:28:30 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

You're quite welcome Oblio. I have the first 6 of the 7 part Lives of the Saints books and I have found them quite wonderful. I have only heard good things about all the books they produce or translate. Everyone seem to love them. God Bless!

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2002, 11:10:02 PM »

Nik

I had no clue that this board would exist nor that I would become moderator of it! Anyway, lets kick it off with a bang and a survey. If you are a convert or revert please share your story here.

I don't really want to type out a full conversion story, but here's a quick run down:

- Baptized Catholic as a Baby

- Raised mostly non-religious (w/ nominal religious periods depending on the step father)

- A few months after graduating high school in 1997 I hit rock bottom and started becoming more interested in "Religion"

- Got "saved" in the fall of 1997 in a Church of God (out of Anderson IN) congregation. I should add that all I really did at this point was make a sincere decision to study the Bible, God, etc (ie. I wasn't developing a relationship with God, but rather, I was just learning about God and the Bible). In addition to the Wesleyan Holiness Church I attended, I was learning a lot from an Ultra-Fundamentalist, Mid-Acts Dispensational, Open View, Theonomist. He was the kind of guy who--I kid you not--once thanked someone for a "compliment" when told that he was "the king of judgment". He believed in confrontational evangelism in the most extreme sense, he believed it should be used often, and he believed in being judgmental and "righteously hating" sinners. This wrapped up in the theological perspective that while the civil authorities should utilize the Old Testament laws, a new dispensation had started with Paul in Acts 9: that being one of grace! That's the type of ministry I became a Christian through! Shocked

- I went to a Denominational liberal arts college as a Bible Studies major, but by the end of the first year (Spring 2000) I knew that I couldn't remain a Protestant (and certainly not the kind of Christian I had been)

- Starting in the summer of 2000, I spent about a year studying Orthodox, Catholicism, etc. For a while my approach was way off, but thanks to some thoughtful (and also some hostile) Catholics and Orthodox, I got on track.

- In July of 2001, I asked Fr. Vlad (Belcher) of St. George Antiochian Orthodox Church in Altoona PA if I could become a catechumen. He agreed to allow that, and assigned a layman to catechize me.

- On Dec. 22nd 2001, I was received by chrismation into the Orthodox Church, with Justin Popovich as my patron saint. (actually he chose me, but that's another thread Wink )

- In February of 2002 I got engaged to an Orthodox girl. We've gone through a number of months of pre-marital counselling and plan on getting married a couple weeks after Pascha 2003. (I know this stuff isn't usually talked of in a conversion story, but my relationship with Mary, and our future marriage, will indeed have a large impact regarding my "conversion" from the world and into the heavenly realm Smiley )
« Last Edit: October 04, 2002, 11:14:10 PM by Slave of Christ » Logged

There are many foolish priests out there.
MaryCecilia
Struggler

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: currently attending an Antiochian parish

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2002, 11:21:33 PM »

I was raised in the Roman Catholic Church and received all of the sacraments there. One parent always made sure I got there but the other parent was hostile towards it, and this created a tense environment for me growing up.  When I was about 16 or Seventeen I became very unhappy with what was occuring in the RC Church, it seemed like the Church was falling apart and I was feeling empty and disappointed and confused.  

I started to look for another Church and I was talking to a girl online at the time too.  She gave me information on a SSPX Church.  At first I was unsure about that group because it sounded like a schismatic group and cultish (which, by the way, it is).  Somehow though she convinced me that I was wrong.  I started attending an SSPX church in the spring of my Sr year of highschool.  I liked the SSPX Church a little bit because I learned some Latin while I was there and  met some very nice people there.  I also liked the fact that the ladies had to wear dresses or skirts and headcoverings while in Church.  I was Confirmed for the second time in June of 2000. Somehow I was convinced by those around me that my rc sacraments were invalid because the rc church was liberal and they didn't perform the sacraments correctly. After I was confirmed for the second time things started becoming confusing to me again and I started to doubt everything that I was ever taught, and began to question my faith, and all of the Church teachings.  I stopped attending Church at the SSPX and would just hibernate in my dorm room.

One day I just decided to surf the internet and I found one of my friends online, I had began to ask him many questions regarding Catholicism.  Instead of him answering my questions he just direceted me to a website that had a directory of Eastern Orthodox Churches in my area, and he told me to call the priest closest to me and ask to visit their Church.  He assured me that it would do no harm at all to go there, that they wouldnt force me into doing anything I didnt feel comfortable doing and that I would feel welcome there.  I made the call and talked to the priest in charge of the Church and asked him about a way to come to visit the Church.  He gave me someone's phone number and I called them and got a way to Church for the following Sunday.  

My first visit was July 2000.  I felt welcome immediately, everyone was kind and talked to me and the guy I went with let me use his book so I could follow along with what was occuring.  I just knew deep down that this was my home.  I knew I finally found what I was looking for.  The priest answered all the questions I had and even gave me a book to read (I can't remember the title or author right now...).  The book was also helpful to me.  I loved this new Church very much and wanted to continue attending.  I asked the priest how I could become Orthodox and we talked a long time about all of this.  In Novemeber of 2000 I became a Catechumen in the Orthodox Church.  That was the happiest day and the saddest day of my life.  That day was the saddest because I realized right then how important the sacraments are, and how badly I missed them (at this point I hadn't received Communion anywhere since June 2000 when I was confirmed in the sspx).  I really wanted to receive Communion very badly and was starving for it.  I knew I had to wait though and it gave me something to look forward to.  This was the happiest day because I knew I was doing the right thing, I have found the True Church.  I would never turn back now. No matter what, I promised myself I would never ever leave.  

On Palm Sunday, April eighth 2000 I was received into the Holy Orthodox Church (in the OCA jurisdiction) through Holy Communion, Chrismation and Confession.  I was on cloud nine at this point and I was even 'higher' when I received Communion that day.  This all felt like a dream to me, a dream I never wanted to wake up from.   Smiley Smiley Smiley

Mary Cecilia passed into eternal life on Jan 2, 2010.  May her memory be eternal!
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2002, 12:16:43 AM »

MaryCecilia:

Your story is of particular inspiration to me.  I am a trad RC currently forced to attend a very poorly done NO Liturgy instead of the Tridentine Mass.  

I have recently began to wonder if truth still lies in the RCC.  I really am begining to think that the RC is in apostasy from the one true Church Orthodoxy, however I am a Western Christian.  My personal spirituality is very western, so I was wondering what everyone thought of Western Orthodoxy?  is it a viable option?

Joe Zollars

Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2002, 12:34:24 AM »

My personal spirituality is very western, so I was wondering what everyone thought of Western Orthodoxy?  is it a viable option?

Joe Zollars

Glory to Jesus Christ!

To my knowledge, the only jurisdiction providing Western Rite Orthodox parishes in the US is the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America, of which His Eminence, Metropolitan Philip [Saliba] is Primate.  The Western Rite parishes of the AOCA are in their own Western Rite Vicariate.

It matters not what we think of them.  They are canonical.  So, as far as I am concerned, they provide pastoral care for Western-oriented Orthodox Christians who would otherwise feel very uncomfortable in a strictly Eastern Church environment.  Apparently Holy New-Confessor Tikhon, Patriarch of Moscow and Enlightener of North America, thought favorably of a Western Rite Orthodoxy when he served as Bishop here, and the Western Rite of St. Tikhon used in the AOCA's Western Rite Vicariate is named after him.   That's good enough for me.

In Christ,
Hypo-Ortho
Nigula Qian Zishi
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2002, 10:31:40 AM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!
To my knowledge, the only jurisdiction providing Western Rite Orthodox parishes in the US is the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America, of which His Eminence, Metropolitan Philip [Saliba] is Primate.

Glory to Him Forever!

Actually ROCOR also has a Western Rite Church in Rhode Island. If it was good enough for St. Tikhon, its good enough for me.

Joe, have you contacted any Orhtodox Churches or is this still just a premliminary thought?

Thanks to everyone who has and continues to post their conversion stories. They're all inspiring. God Bless!

David
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2002, 06:09:51 PM »

Joe,

I know a good bit about one local western rite parish(AOA), as it and my OCA parish have very close ties.  I don't really care for their liturgical style at all, as it is all from the Anglican Book of Common Prayer with all the Protestant stuff taken out and an epiclesis added in.  I love all the people in that community, but I dislike attending the services.  Other than the vestments and icons, it is hard to identify this as Orthodox worship.  

It seems as though the Western Rite has very little to do with all western liturgical traditions except for Anglican liturgics.  I've never heard of a Western Rite that wanted to adopt the Tridentine Mass or the standard Lutheran liturgy.  I do think that Western Rite Orthodoxy should be perceived as a temporary solution, working with other jurisdictions to organically join and make a true American church, and not as a means in and of itself.  

That said, I would urge you to visit all the Orthodox churches in your immediate area.  You may find such a vibrant community that you won't care if they worship in Klingon.  I would urge you to visit a few "Eastern Rite" parishes.  Ethnicity is still a factor in many places, but there are many "Eastern" communities where it is no longer a stumbling block.  My own parish is OCA, but our membership is made up of Greeks, Russians, Arabs, Romanians, Georgians, and about half convert.  All services are 100% english.
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2002, 11:00:59 AM »

Actually ROCOR also has a Western Rite Church in Rhode Island. If it was good enough for St. Tikhon, its good enough for me.
<snip>

Nik, can you give me the name and location of the ROCOR's Western Rite parish in Rhode Island?  I live close enough to Rhode Island that I'd like to try and attend Services there at least once.  Thanks.

Hypo-Ortho
Ole Rocker

Say yore prayers, varmint!

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2002, 05:23:06 PM »

Hello, everyone.

I am new here. I lurked a little for about an hour and I am impressed with the forums. I hope to get to cyber-know you.

I'm a wannabe convert who is having very similar problems as one of the previous posters, especially in the area of dealing with a wife that refuses to visit an liturgical service of any type.

What is frustrating for me is myself. When my wife asks me questions about the Orthodox Faith or any of the ritual practices, I find myself quite limited as to how to thoroughly explain what is going on and satisfactorily answer her questions. For instance, she asked me yesterday after showing her photos of the inside of a Greek Cathedral after attending a Greek festival why the altar was behind the iconostasis and why folks were not allowed to go up there boldly since the Word says that we can boldly approach the Throne of Grace. So you see, many moments like these lose their impact when you haven't a thorough answer and you just can't run to your books or get online and search orthoinfo or get on a forum and ask someone more knowledgable why. And so your evening is ruined because she thinks you've gone off the deep end.

Well, enough of that. Let's enjoy our beer without crying in it!

I'm glad to be here and hope to converse with you soon.

Reach for the sky, critter!
Rock on,
Ole Rocker
CDHealy

I'm a philosophy major.

chealy5
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2002, 05:35:20 PM »

Ole Rocker:

As one with a "resistant spouse," I very much know what you're talking about.  (I don't know if I were one of the ones you had in mind in your post.)

I would respond in two ways, based only from my limited experience, and lack of wisdom.

First, learn everything you can about Orthodoxy (which I assume is already the case).  There are excellent books out there that will help your head knowledge.

Second, don't try to convert your wife with head knowledge.  Heck, don't try to convert her at all.  I didn't take it from your response that that was the case for you, but I mention it only because it is such a temptation for me, and perhaps for other husbands.  We men seem to want to fix problems.  An admirable trait, of course.   Tongue  But our wives are not problems to be fixed.  Of course, to the degree that we can "give an answer in season," we should.  But much better to simply say, "I don't know but I'm trying to learn all I can."  Then, when you learn something, share it.  Even if it's not a question she's asked.

Third (okay, that's more than two), if you can't go to the Divine Liturgy, Matins, or Vespers, then obtain a prayerbook and begin to pray the short services of morning and evening prayer.  Find your favorite psalm, and memorize it, too.  Get in the habit of daily offering your prayers.  You don't need to show off for your wife, but if she'll join you--even if silently--definitely encourage that.  In any case, she'll notice, you won't have to say a word.

That's about where things are for me.  So, if  you're there already and sense it's time to go forward, someone much more wise and much less sinful as myself will have to guide you.

God is with you in this.  Do believe that.

Clifton D. Healy

--Hamlet,
Ole Rocker

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2002, 06:09:37 PM »

I think I remember you from Chris Little. He mentioned you were in the same boat as me. I'll try not to "rock" it! Roll Eyes

I have been reading and reading and reading .... for several years now and there is still so much to learn. I have been attending Vespers fairly regularly and Divine Liturgy about once every 2 months. I have a prayer rope and use it as often as I can. I have two prayer books that I try to use regularly. I fail at times though Embarrassed.

I plan to break from the non-denominational congregation that we attend but that is very hard since I am considered one of the leaders there. My wife recently has encouraged me to leave for my own peace of mind (I'm about to go nuts, I want to stop this shizophrenic Christianity!).

Thanks for your words of encouragement.

Rock on,
Ole Rocker
Oblio
Elder

The Pointless One !

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2002, 06:12:55 PM »

Oftentimes I run into the same troubles with friends and family who have been indoctrinated over the years with Protestant beliefs.  What sometimes works for me is to listen to the point, and search the writings of the Fathers on the Scripture at hand, and to speak with my Priest on such matters to find what the Chuch believes if it is not basic doctrine.  Of particular difficulty is getting folks to understand that it is their interpretation of Scripture Alone that is causing the conflict.  I have found that over time, the Truth guarded by the Church, will win out.

St. John Crysostom speaks in Homily VII on Hebrews of the throne we approach:

Ver. 16. "Let us come then boldly [with confidence] unto the throne of His grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need."

What "throne of grace" is he speaking of? that royal throne concerning which it is said, "The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit Thou on My right hand." (Ps. cx. 1.)

It seems to me (and on this issue I would speak with my father/confessor) that the author is speaking not of the earthly altar that we worship before, but of the throne of the Father, that our Lord sits at.
Nigula Qian Zishi
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2002, 06:17:22 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Dear Hypo,

I am not sure where it is, but you may contact Hieromonk James at jdeschene@msn.com and he can tell you where his church is.

Dear Ole,
     Welcome aboard. By any chance do you have a smaller image of 'Sam for your avatar? That's huge! I would reccomend reading as much Seraphim Rose as you can to help explain things as well as the above suggestions from others. God Bless!

Ole Rocker

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2002, 06:36:46 PM »

I'm working on it, Sam I mean! It is thumbnail size at another forum but huge here. I'll blank it out and try to get a reduced size one in the meantime. Hope it doesn't offend!

Rock on,
Ole Rocker
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2002, 07:37:02 PM »

I fail at times though Embarrassed.

I singled out only this part of your post because I wanted to encourage you.  I myself am a professed failure at persevering in daily prayer.  So you are not alone.  Just keep doing the best you can, and always strive to do the best.  I'll try to follow my own advice, and we'll see if we can't get better.  We can do all things in Him.  God bless you.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2002, 08:17:34 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Dear Hypo,

I am not sure where it is, but you may contact Hieromonk James at jdeschene@msn.com and he can tell you where his church is.

Glory forever!

Thanks, Nik.  I have sent an email to Fr. James requesting this information.

Hypo-Ortho
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2002, 08:28:22 PM »

ROCOR doesn't list any in Rhode Island (I don't doubt that there is one there, just saying that they don't have it listed), but if you wanted to see where there other Churches are, you could look here: http://www.orthodox.net/directory/

Nigula Qian Zishi
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2002, 08:39:30 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Dear Paradosis, ROCOR actually has a newer form of their listings at http://www.directory.sjkp.org/ and it also does not have their Western Rite churches listed. In addition to Hieromonk James' smal monastery church, there is also St. Petroc Orthodox Monastery and Saint Stephen's Orthodox Mission Chapel in Tasmania. I believe the only churches further south than these is the MP's church in Antarctica. God Bless!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2002, 09:04:19 PM by Nik » Logged

Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2002, 08:44:55 PM »

ROCOR doesn't list any in Rhode Island (I don't doubt that there is one there, just saying that they don't have it listed), but if you wanted to see where there other Churches are, you could look here: http://www.orthodox.net/directory/

I'm looking specifically for a Western Rite Orthodox church, Paradosis, one near enough for me to visit at least once and compare with the Byzantine Rite Orthodoxy to which I am so accustomed.  Nik said there was a Western Rite ROCOR parish in Rhode Island, so I've sent an email to the Hieromonk James at the email address which Nik furnished for further information.  The Antiochian Archdiocese does not have any Western Rite parishes in New England.  But thanks for the directory site.

Hypo-Ortho
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2002, 09:01:06 PM »

I believe the only churche's further south than these is the MP's church in Antarctica. God Bless!

So Antarctica is Russian canonical territory too?   Wink

But seriously, they have a church down there?  What for?

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Nigula Qian Zishi
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2002, 09:08:17 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!
So Antarctica is Russian canonical territory too?   Wink

But seriously, they have a church down there?  What for?  

Its down there for 2 reasons.

1.) Now its MP canonical territory.  Grin

2.) For their scientists that stay in Antarctica for months at a time.

So how long before the RC Church come in and builds an Archdiocese of Antarctica to prostelytize to the Russians?
 Tongue

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2002, 09:12:52 PM »

So how long before the RC Church come in and builds an Archdiocese of Antarctica to prostelytize to the Russians?
 Tongue

Now, now...

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2002, 09:36:56 PM »

Nik

Doh! Thank you for the updated list.  Smiley

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2002, 04:55:47 PM »

Ole Rocker,

Perhaps this is the ex-fundie in me, but I have a small suggestion.  Since you are planning on leaving this "church" anyway and since you are a leader there, I suggest doing what Alex Jones did with his pentecostal Congregation.

He learned all he could about Catholicism and then he taught his congregation what he learned.  Pretty soon the whole Congregation joined him in entering the Catholic Church.  

Perhaps you could adopt this to teach the congregation about Orthdoxy.  This would be sort of putting an end to a segment of schizo christianity.

Joe Zollars

nilus
A Finlander

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2002, 06:31:58 PM »

Hello, I am Nilus, this is my 2nd post at Orthodox Christianity .Net.  I am a convert.  I began life as a Augustanna Lutheran, became an Episcopalian in 1984 and Orthodox at the Pascha Vigil Liturgy in 1989.  I love the Church.
Nilus

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy upon me a sinner.
Nigula Qian Zishi
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2002, 06:36:52 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Welcome Nilus! I hope you enjoy out place on the 'net. Its amazing to see how many non-Orthodox inquirers we have here. God Bless!

Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2002, 06:39:12 PM »

Hello, I am Nilus, this is my 2nd post at Orthodox Christianity .Net.  I am a convert.  I began life as a Augustanna Lutheran, became an Episcopalian in 1984 and Orthodox at the Pascha Vigil Liturgy in 1989.  I love the Church.
Nilus

A warm welcome to this forum, Nilus.  I hope we all make you feel at home here.

Hypo-Ortho
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: