OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 08:40:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MODERN GREEK  (Read 1192 times) Average Rating: 0
emmanuelmelo

OC.net

« on: January 17, 2006, 12:31:05 AM »

Hello All,

I am trying to learn Modern Greek so that I may go on a pilgrimage to Greece (and later the Holy Mountain).  Please let me know what textbook is best for learning modern Greek.  I don't want something like "Greek in 7 dayS" but really grasp modern demotic Greek as I am of Greek descent and would like to one day be able to speak the language fluently.

-Emmanuelmelo

NULL
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 12:54:00 AM »

There is a good textbook called ξέρετε ελληνικα; that is very good.  Since you have some background in the language that will help with this book as it is entirely in Greek with the exception of the glossary in the back that is Greek-English-French.  If the all Greek approach isn't something you don't think you would like there are a few other options - but it is hard to find something that will build your vocabulary and give you a good grammitcal foundation.  The book Colloquial Greek is alright to give you a good introduction to the language and gives just enough grammar to cover the basics but is not very in depth.  It also lacks charts in an appendix with conjugations and declensions, but it is not difficult to make your own notes with quick refrences to the information you need.  Of course the best thing is spending time in Greece (be cautious of Greek speakers in America!) and just speaking the language!   
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 07:52:15 PM »

What textbooks are used at Hellenic/Holy Cross (or other universities that offer Modern Greek)?
Justinian

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 11:22:03 PM »

Has anybody tried out the Rosetta Stone cd-roms? They have ones is Russian and Greek among other languages, and Im considering buying one to learn to speak Russian. I wonder if the Greek one could be of use?

"All this indignation have I hurled, At the pretending part of the proud world. Who, swollen with selfish vanity devise: false freedoms, holy cheats, and formal lies, Over their fellow slaves to tyrannize." - John Wilmot
Meekle
Elder

Meekle of Rohan, Dunadan Bard of the Riddermark

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 12:32:36 AM »

Has anybody tried out the Rosetta Stone cd-roms? They have ones is Russian and Greek among other languages, and Im considering buying one to learn to speak Russian. I wonder if the Greek one could be of use?

Oy! I used those things for Latin, those were dark times...

I don't think they are that great, they really don't teach you the language, they just throw random words out with random pictures... all definitions, grammar, etc. must be assumed.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 12:33:07 AM by Meekle » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: