OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 05:43:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So who's going swimming tomorrow?  (Read 963 times) Average Rating: 0
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« on: January 18, 2006, 05:42:24 PM »

Tomorrow, as we all know, is the REAL ( Grin) Feast of the Epiphany.  Who's going swimming in the old Eastern European tradition?
(I am, Chesepeake Bay!)

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 06:05:37 PM »

If I were in NY with my bishop I might consider hopping into the water at the cross toss this year. Last year they jumped in even with the temp being 20 degrees. LOL.

The NY harbor patrol comes along to make sure everything goes according to plan Smiley

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 05:33:06 PM »

Man, that was AWESOME!!!  The weather was perfect, and we went to a great park outside Annapolis, right next to the bridge over the Chesepeake.  Water was FREEZING, but it was about 50+, so warming up after wasn't a problem... of course heated seats & a nice flask a whiskey sped the proccess. Definately well worth it, though when you can't breath from the cold when you come out from the initial plunge you might not think so.  :-D

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Meekle
Elder

Meekle of Rohan, Dunadan Bard of the Riddermark

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 06:44:41 PM »

If I were in NY with my bishop I might consider hopping into the water at the cross toss this year. Last year they jumped in even with the temp being 20 degrees. LOL.

What exactly is a "cross toss?"
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 07:06:29 PM »

Ahh, well - it's when the Bishop tosses the cross in the body of water and people from the community (often children) jump in and try to get it... the belief is that the one who finds the cross will enjoy added blessings during the year...

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: