OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 07:37:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The Birth of the Nation" anyone?  (Read 959 times) Average Rating: 0
Mexican
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« on: January 16, 2006, 11:50:07 PM »

Hello

Someone told me that the Mexican TV will broadcast the American movie "Birth of a Nation" today. I was somehow suprised, cause I am well aware this movie is forbidden in the United States and Europe as it protraits a somewhat different opinion about what happened after the US Civil War and the role of the Afro-American population.

I do believe that the Civil War was a battle between a more "traditional" agrarian society and a modern capitalist industrialization. At that time, Mexican conservatives hoped a southern victory would strenghten the Empire against the radical left that eventualy won our own war, eventhough the southerners themselves were the main authors of the 1847 occupation (other writers claim the South was ready to give out New Mexico back if the Empire turned against the Union).

This person, an American who studies Medicine here was like "hey you that seem a far-right simpatizer you must be thrilled with this movie" but frankly this is no true at all. I know that this movie somehow favors the KuKluxKlan who where rabidly anti-Mexican, anti-Catholic and anti-Orthodox too. I feel more identfied with the Afro-American causes, and the revolutionary movement of the Black Panthers and others.

Now, why doing this on Martin Luther King's day? It's a stupidity. I almost imagine tomorrows newspapers with waves of diplomatic protests from the US government, and from Afro-American organizations who are after all the only ones who would support our own causes.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if our traitor government does this in purpose to weaken those who are also against the "Iron Wall" that Bush wants to build in the "border". After all, why support a country whose government, TV and printed media blatantly teach racial prejuidces and bigotry?
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 12:09:55 AM »

Hello

Someone told me that the Mexican TV will broadcast the American movie "Birth of a Nation" today. I was somehow suprised, cause I am well aware this movie is forbidden in the United States and Europe as it protraits a somewhat different opinion about what happened after the US Civil War and the role of the Afro-American population.

I can't speak for Europe, but our First Amendment protects the movie and it is perfectly legal in the United States, infact when I first saw it I rented it from Blockbuster, a major US Movie Rental Chain. Furthermore, it's not the sympathy to the Confederacy, which is pretty widespread in the United States, but rather the sympathy towards the Klan that is controversial. However, regardless of what one thinks of the politics, most film professionals agree that it was an excellent production, one of the greatest of all time, and perhaps even the greatest of the era...sometimes we need to appreciate art even if we find the politics associated with it to be distasteful.

I do believe that the Civil War was a battle between a more "traditional" agrarian society and a modern capitalist industrialization. At that time, Mexican conservatives hoped a southern victory would strenghten the Empire against the radical left that eventualy won our own war, eventhough the southerners themselves were the main authors of the 1847 occupation (other writers claim the South was ready to give out New Mexico back if the Empire turned against the Union).

This person, an American who studies Medicine here was like "hey you that seem a far-right simpatizer you must be thrilled with this movie" but frankly this is no true at all. I know that this movie somehow favors the KuKluxKlan who where rabidly anti-Mexican, anti-Catholic and anti-Orthodox too. I feel more identfied with the Afro-American causes, and the revolutionary movement of the Black Panthers and others.

I'm not here to defend the Klan, especially the Klan of the 20th Century which committed many Atrocities, but I would like to point out that the Original Klan portrayed in the Movie was not the anti-Catholic anti-Orthodox organization that it became in the 1920's; the original Klan was formed in response to Atrocities committed by the Occupation government and their allies, and this Klan included such people as Roman Catholics in their ranks, and was disbanded upon the ending of Reconstruction in 1877...the 20th Century organization that was later 'resurrected' was an entirely different institution with different goals and a different philosophy.

Now, why doing this on Martin Luther King's day? It's a stupidity. I almost imagine tomorrows newspapers with waves of diplomatic protests from the US government, and from Afro-American organizations who are after all the only ones who would support our own causes.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if our traitor government does this in purpose to weaken those who are also against the "Iron Wall" that Bush wants to build in the "border". After all, why support a country whose government, TV and printed media blatantly teach racial prejuidces and bigotry?

You mean on Lee-Jackson day? This isn't MLK day for every State Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 04:05:14 AM »

I can't speak for Europe, but our First Amendment protects the movie and it is perfectly legal in the United States, infact when I first saw it I rented it from Blockbuster, a major US Movie Rental Chain. Furthermore, it's not the sympathy to the Confederacy, which is pretty widespread in the United States, but rather the sympathy towards the Klan that is controversial. However, regardless of what one thinks of the politics, most film professionals agree that it was an excellent production, one of the greatest of all time, and perhaps even the greatest of the era...sometimes we need to appreciate art even if we find the politics associated with it to be distasteful.

I'm not here to defend the Klan, especially the Klan of the 20th Century which committed many Atrocities, but I would like to point out that the Original Klan portrayed in the Movie was not the anti-Catholic anti-Orthodox organization that it became in the 1920's; the original Klan was formed in response to Atrocities committed by the Occupation government and their allies, and this Klan included such people as Roman Catholics in their ranks, and was disbanded upon the ending of Reconstruction in 1877...the 20th Century organization that was later 'resurrected' was an entirely different institution with different goals and a different philosophy.

You mean on Lee-Jackson day? This isn't MLK day for every State Wink

Here in VA it's MLK day. Lee-Jackson Day was seperated  from MLK in 2000. Hopefully L-J day will be abolished someday.

Proverbs 22:7
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 10:25:33 AM »

What?! If Stonewall Jackson had been Orthodox he would have been a saint Wink

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 01:02:24 PM »

Here in VA it's MLK day. Lee-Jackson Day was seperatedÂÂ  from MLK in 2000. Hopefully L-J day will be abolished someday.

To those of us who are loyal to the cause of States Rights and Southern Independence it will always be Lee-Jackson day, and never MLK day, regardless of what some communist bureaucrats, whether in Washington or Richmond, say. General Jackson was perhaps the greatest general in the history of warfare, beyond his honour, loyality to his state, resistance to the stalinist yankee regime, and devotion to the cause of Southern Independence, his performance on the battlefields alone warrants a day to commemorate him.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 01:16:58 PM »

Lee & Jackson -- "Wrong but Romantic" to quote 1066 and All That
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 01:23:40 PM »

Lee & Jackson -- "Wrong but Romantic" to quote 1066 and All That

'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know'

We've had debates along these lines before, and I doubt a debate about constitutional law, self-determination, states rights, agriculture vs. industry, the ethics of slavery and cultural relativism, etc. will result in anything positive. But if they are Romantic, that is enough...it is a fuller manifestation of truth than most anything else on this earth.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: